No announcement yet.

Red Hat Is Hiring More Developers To Work On Wayland, Open-Source Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Except you could, I dunno, use libwayland-(client|server), depending on whether you are a Wayland compositor or client. Seems to be what GTK is using, unless I'm missing something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
      Except you could, I dunno, use libwayland-(client|server), depending on whether you are a Wayland compositor or client. Seems to be what GTK is using, unless I'm missing something.
      You are actually required to. Even though "wayland protocol" sounds like something anyone could easily implement by only looking at the documentation, the through is that the wire format is based on a lot of undocumented details of "wayland-scanner", the program that parses the protocol XML and spits out C code. Some time ago someone wanted to implement Wayland in Java, and was basically told "don't do that, it will break. the only way is to wrap libwayland-*.so".

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        You are actually required to. Even though "wayland protocol" sounds like something anyone could easily implement by only looking at the documentation, the through is that the wire format is based on a lot of undocumented details of "wayland-scanner", the program that parses the protocol XML and spits out C code. Some time ago someone wanted to implement Wayland in Java, and was basically told "don't do that, it will break. the only way is to wrap libwayland-*.so".
        I wonder whether this wayland-scanner could reasonably be reproduced in other languages. The process sounds similarish to a parser generator and might be feasible you'd mandate only that XML must be the same everywhere and eg with Java you'd generate Java bytecode based on it

Comment

Working...
        X