No announcement yet.

A Proposal To Go 64-bit Only With Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're using software that isn't updated/supported anymore, then you shouldn't have it on an internet connected machine anyways. It's a complete non-issue.

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
    LOL, your answer is to use a unsupported OS plagged by new kinds of virus and malware

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
      If you're using software that isn't updated/supported anymore, then you shouldn't have it on an internet connected machine anyways. It's a complete non-issue.
      What a vinyl cutter has to do with be or not connected to the Net ?
      In this case is not like a virus from Net is going to start out of the blue cutting vinyl dickheads.

What matters is if software can still work in a modern OS or not.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
        Why?...
        The Vinyl cutter software doesn't need to be connected to the Net per se (no matter having a Net connection is a good way to send/receive potential cutting works).
        There is other software in that PC that needs to be connected to the Net.

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          The Vinyl cutter software doesn't need to be connected to the Net per se (no matter having a Net connection is a good way to send/receive potential cutting works).
          There is other software in that PC that needs to be connected to the Net.
          A guy I know has a machine he uses for printing on vinyl billboards. The software is like 20 years old. He runs it with a copy of windows 2000 pro from inside a virtual machine. That machine doesn't need to be online. Any other software doesn't need to be on that machine.

That would be my advice for your software as well.

Comment

I've had to deal with old software quite a bit. Another customer of mine is running a really old POS for her bookstore. That software literally will not work on any NT based OS. I can't explain it, but it only works on win9x. Some years ago that machine blew it's power supply and motherboard. My job was to get her POS working again. Getting win9x to work on modern hardware is a pain in the ass. I had to disable all cores but 1. It wouldn't boot with more than 2 gigs of RAM, and I had to lower the CPU clock below 1GHz.

It's just the way it is. Sometimes you have to accommodate old software.

EDIT: I wonder if wine can run it? It's not worth checking, it's already done. But an interesting thought.
            Last edited by duby229; 20 January 2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Walking Glitch View Post
              Those were Pentium&Celeron Ds.
              No, what I had was branded as Pentium 4. It had the Prescott core. And quit top posting. It's annoying on mailing lists but it's just plain wrong on forums.

Comment

Yeah, you are correct. The first Prescotts did not have the x86_64 extensions enabled, but by the time PentiumD was released Intel started enabling 64bits even on the Prescotts. You have to be careful though, because the earliest Prescotts do have the 64bit capability fused off.

EDIT:Yamhill if I'm remembering correctly. Intel really didn't want to resort to enabling it, until they realized MS was forcing them to do it.
                Last edited by duby229; 20 January 2015, 05:05 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Yep, top search result from google

The story is from one anonymous Intel engineer, and Intel doesn't want to ever have to turn on x86-64 support. They are still betting on their Itanium,

Comment

just a few days ago I run into the idea to buy a old netbook on ebay. I had one some time ago. Why? there is just no real alterantiv, show me a 10" or smaller real netbookish device where you cun install the distro of your choice wihtout big problems?

of course thats not fedoras fault, but it shows a bit the problem of the situation we are in. Even intel builds lately more and more linux-incompatible devices not to mention the whole arm crap that are completly unusable for linux desktops.

bay trail transformer like books woulde be a kind of alternative but even if you ignore the glare mirror displays it starts with 32bit uefis and goes on with big problems with other drivers.

its really sad why is this stuff all extremly big and 2 days later nobody remembers that it even existed or some write even that it was a mistake and this huge ultrabooks are more portable (rofl)

pdas are also gone many say for good except the smartphones spy on you even with replicant. bad times for people caring about freedom and wanting something mobile.

A few months ago I bought a desire z nead device even if I would ignore nsa-rootkit in it aka smartphone, there are basicly no others with keyboards...

but I am ok with that desition even if they would abondon x86 32bit completly but with this small changes in support it doesnt matter at all anyway.

for 32bit arm there is no real desktop usage/htpc of 32bit arm so I would have also no problem with skipping it.

rpi is not supported as major plattform anyway but I get that some people play around with some more standard 32bit arm boards than this rpi alien thing that fits not even to any arm standard.

Comment

• First of all, dropping arm 32bit support is astonishing, we just have the iphone (where fedora doesn't run) and a couple of server or development boards, and there are tons of devices with armv7 that can run fedora.

Dropping i386 is a bad idea. Many not so old computers have i386 only, especially in not so rich countries, even i386 are sold _today_. Many companies run backup servers, file servers, mail servers and internal web servers with web applications and services, changing the servers is non-sense, but getting new features (for example new filesystems, new samba with improve compatibility etc.) are sometimes important. Also many individual, even if they can afford new computers, use computers as media boxes, word processing etc. that don't need to change, but probably want new codecs or new versions of libreoffice.

Last, and in my opinion more important. Most of the software should be word and pointer length agnostic, and for the software that should care most of their code should not. In general, software should not assume that a pointer fits in an integer or an integer is of a fixed size. Maintaining i386 and armv7 also maintains software quality, remember when we transitioned from i386 to amd64, many software was broken even if it shouldn't. I totally agree with openbsd developers that maintaining the software for different architectures (even if I think that they maintain crazy old machines) helps to reduce bugs.

Red Hat makes a lot of development, so if red hat devs stop worrying of 32 bit compatibility, quality on other 32 bit distributions will degrade. And viewing that some red hat developers don't mind breaking compatibility with other versions or anyone not using their ecosystem I don't bet for a good future of 32 bits distributions (this is of course a very personal opinion).

Comment

Working...
                      X