A Proposal To Go 64-bit Only With Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
    But can afford to pay for old system power consumption? How is that possible?
    That is primarily why the poor remain poor and rich remain rich. The poor will buy cheap crap that will be more expensive in the long run than the high-quality stuff the rich buy. Additionally the rich will also get something that actually works

Comment

Not really. They don't actually use all that much power, my 2.8GHz Northwood Dell Dimension uses less power than the CPU in my workstation.

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
      With the power consumption of P4 machines, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new system?

Comment

Originally posted by SXX⁣ View Post
        But can afford to pay for old system power consumption? How is that possible?
        A few dollars on the next electric bill is much easier to deal with than 100 dollars next week.

That's how its possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
          Many people simply can't afford buying a new system.

EDIT2: I'm sitting on a 6 year old laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo) that is working really nice and I have no plans to switch in the nearest future.
          So go ahead and mantain 32-bit Fedora by yourself. The Fedora devs don't owe you anything.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
            That is primarily why the poor remain poor and rich remain rich.
            ROFLMAO yes, it is true, the poor remain poor because they all have old Pentium 4 machines which are making their monthly electric bills $4.62 higher than they otherwise would be.

The Pentium 4 is keeping the poor man down!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              Don't kill x86_32!

1. There are still a lot of good 32 bit x86 machines around.
              2. There is a plethora of 32 bit software around.
              Actually I had a recompile of a system these days to support Gentoo multilib. It was neccessary due to a mesa version in the precompiled 32 bit compatibility libs that was too old.
              But I noticed how much software (especially binary stuff) makes use of these 32bit libs. So if you'd kill off 32bit now tons of software would stop to run. And people are arguing that "Linux isn't a platform" cause you can't get commercial software to run on it. This move would not improve the situation.
              You need to change your profile then. eselect is the tool to show you how. it's the no-emul profile that allows the emerge process to compile 32bit multlibs while the amd64 native libs are built too. It's truly awesome.

Comment

wow so much bullshit

a p4 does NOT use much power
                if you want to reduce power usage don't use bloated software

also maths, for which gj people
                power usage difference of, to be generous, 20W is barely noticeable on a monthly (even yearly) bill
                and you do more harm to the environment by buying a new computer and dumping the old one

for defending an illogical idea, gj people
                especially for the "just buy a new computer" statements, gj

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                  wow so much bullshit

power usage difference of, to be generous, 20W is barely noticeable on a monthly (even yearly) bill
                  and you do more harm to the environment by buying a new computer and dumping the old one

The P4 was hot. The Willamette P4 was on the toasty side of hot, but it was still reasonably manageable I don't know if those would be very useful today, especially ones running Intel IGP graphics of that time period. The Prescott P4 was on the Fire and Brimstone side of hot, I doubt many of those motherboards survived this long.

Comment

normal

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    wow so much bullshit

fedora and redhat guys are like this always, no big news here, you can always use something like like centos 6 or debian 8 or ubuntu 16.04 with lxde or xfce desktop for many years don t be mad because some stupid guys

Comment

EDIT: Oh yeah I remember now. Willamette ran on an 845 chipset i think, Prescott on a 945. Intel used to brag so hard about their IGP. It's was totally pervasive in office environments of that day. It's made billions of dollars for them. I'm not sure it could run a modern desktop environment though. (3d composited anyway)

Comment

Working...
                      X