A Proposal To Go 64-bit Only With Fedora 23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by duby229 View Post
    Just to mention it, if you bought a computer in 2009 with only 1GB of RAM, you kinda screwed yourself.
    Which Netbook had more than 1 GB of RAM in 2009?

Not to mention that running a 64bit OS on less than 4GB of RAM makes sense from the perspective of future compatibility. ...
    A 64 bit OS uses more RAM than a 32 bit OS and that is important if you have only 1 GB of RAM.
    "future compatibility"? After 5 and a half years I still have no problem with compatibility.

This has gone far too much OT so this is my last post to this topic.

Comment

• The transition to 64bit personal computing started 13 years ago. Every AMD system sold since 2003 has been 64bits. Every Intel system, except for Atom, sold since 2006 has been 64bits.

It's time to move on. It's been time to move on for more than a decade.

Comment

... Every AMD system sold since 2003 has been 64bits. ...
        No!

Socket 754 Sempron, released between August 2004 and April 2005, at least Stepping/Revision D0 (Part No. ending in BA) were 32 bit only. There were mobile Semprons too.
        The Geode LX processors, AFAIK introduced in 2005, are sold till today!

Comment

• Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
          Okay, we bought a new Geode-based PC Engines ALIX last month but it's not exactly the sort of machine you'd run a Fedora desktop on. It doesn't even have a graphical output. We opted for OpenWRT. It could handle Debian but we're only using it as an NTP server so OpenWRT is perfectly sufficient. Although we bought it new, the ALIX series has been superseded by the APU series, which is 64-bit. We bought two of those as well.

Comment

• Geode processors are mostly used for thin clients and embedded systems.

Comment

No!

Socket 754 Sempron, released between August 2004 and April 2005, at least Stepping/Revision D0 (Part No. ending in BA) were 32 bit only. There were mobile Semprons too.
              Forgot about those, you're right. The Thorton Semprons were 32bits... So yeah you have a point there.

Very much like Atom though, they aren't useful as a personal computing platform in todays day and age. Sure you might be able to run a thin client on one where the terminal server is running a 64bit desktop. That's the only desktop use I can think of for them.
              Last edited by duby229; 28 January 2015, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Which Netbook had more than 1 GB of RAM in 2009?

A 64 bit OS uses more RAM than a 32 bit OS and that is important if you have only 1 GB of RAM.
                "future compatibility"? After 5 and a half years I still have no problem with compatibility.

This has gone far too much OT so this is my last post to this topic.
                All of the ones I've worked on had 2x DDR2 SODIMM slots that allowed for 2x 2GB for 4GB of ram, which was dirt cheap in 2009, they only came with 1GB at the behest of Microsoft not wanting the neutered XP Starter Edition to limit how much you could have running concurrently, though most shops still defied MS and installed Home Edition but kept the hardware limitations that MS imposed to try and get people on to Xista instead of clining to XP.

Comment

Forgot about those, you're right. The Thorton Semprons were 32bits... So yeah you have a point there.
                  Thorton was earlier and K7 based. I meant the K8 based Palermo. I don't remember the name of the mobile Sempron.

... they aren't useful as a personal computing platform in todays day and age. ...
                  I assume you mean Geode?
                  Geode on desktop is dead in these days, not because of 32 bit but today you can get more powerful 64 bit systems for less money.

Comment

Thorton was earlier and K7 based. I meant the K8 based Palermo. I don't remember the name of the mobile Sempron.

I assume you mean Geode?
                    Geode on desktop is dead in these days, not because of 32 bit but today you can get more powerful 64 bit systems for less money.
                    Palermo was definitely 64bits. Everything socket 754 was. You have to go all the way back to socket A for the 32bit chips. Thorton was the last 32bit chips AMD relesed.

Comment

Palermo was definitely 64bits. Everything socket 754 was. You have to go all the way back to socket A for the 32bit chips. Thorton was the last 32bit chips AMD relesed.
                      Not all Palermos were 64 bit.
                      See

Not every socket 754 processor was 64 bit.
                      See Palermo above and Paris

So Thorton was NOT the last 32bit chip AMD released.

Comment

Working...
                      X