C4 Engine Drops Linux Support, Calls It "Frankenstein OS"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@johnc

It would not be critical with Kanotix Special (gfxdetect) but for Ubuntu my guess is that you need to boot with "nomodeset" option.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with evaluating the investment of Linux support and removing it if the return is disproportional; however, it's best not to do so in such a 'rage-quit' fashion. He should try and voice some of his troubles in a more professional manner and give the community the chance to help... that's what we're there for.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
        In fairness, installing Ubuntu 14.04 on machines with Maxwell cards is a complete disaster since Canonical insists on shipping drivers released back in 1982.

There really is no good way to do it. The easiest is to buy a non-Maxwell card and install the latest nvidia drivers and then put the Maxwell card back into the machine.

Let's not sugar coat it... Canonical has totally checked out on its desktop distro and there's nobody else carrying the Linux desktop banner (except Mint, which uses even older drivers than Ubuntu). I can understand the guy's frustration.
        It's not that hard to add a ppa.

Comment

Originally posted by maokei View Post
          The problems seems to be getting that far.. if the OS already crashes during installation or after first boot on the desktop, using a PPA gets harder.
          Apart from that you don't need a PPA, you just need to get far enough to install the nvidia binary drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielG View Post
            The problems seems to be getting that far.. if the OS already crashes during installation or after first boot on the desktop, using a PPA gets harder.
            Apart from that you don't need a PPA, you just need to get far enough to install the nvidia binary drivers.
            If Ubuntu is crashing during installation or after first boot, verify the hardware is 100% not the problem and try a different but similar distribution like Mint or Debian.

Ubuntu is not the end-all-be-all Linux distribution and for someone to 'rage-quit' because one distribution fails for them is unprofessional; however, he is within his right...

Comment

Originally posted by maokei View Post
              I think you have to go about uninstalling and blacklisting nouveau also. (Unless the package from xorg-edgers does that automatically.)

And all of this from a virtual console because X won't start at all.

This is assuming you can even get the installer to run at all.

Ohh and when you do get the right driver installed, get ready for a trainwreck with compiz because Canonical refuses to accept nvidia's GPL'd patch to the compositor to make it work with their newer drivers. But we did get a new wallpaper in 14.04.

Comment

Actually one of the developers read this damning list of Linux problems and agreed with it wholeheartedly. You may disagree with certain points, saying "I don't care", "I don't have this problem" or "this doesn't affect me", but the truth is, you don't have to agree with everything. The summary is what matters, and everything written under it is just fecking wrong and needs to be fixed or there's no road ahead.

As a software platform the Linux OS just doesn't exist. Full stop.

Comment

Now that's interesting: A cross platform game engine that drops support for a platform. Anyway, a developer who can't install Ubuntu... seriously?

Comment

Don't want to sound like a troll (OK, i gonna be EXACTLY a troll) but didn't knew that things in Ubuntulandia were so bad as for NVIDIA Maxwell cards...the main troll part is this:
                    OH boy, its in these moments that i feel proud to support AMD

As for this..."developer"...the guy clearly has a ego bigger than the Everest, and then, when the s**t hit the fan, "how a engine dev could fail in a "simple" task as to install the easiest Linux distro ?", so , instead of search for help, bet he didn't even googled for it, he just rage quit like an arrogant prick that actually is what he seems to be.

Comment

Fuck this guy and his shitty engine.

Comment

Working...
                      X