GNOME Software, GNOME's App Store, Is Drawing Some Fresh Criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Software, GNOME's App Store, Is Drawing Some Fresh Criticism

Phoronix: GNOME Software, GNOME's App Store, Is Drawing Some Fresh Criticism

Shouldn't the GNOME Software "app store" include non-GUI (CLI) packages? That's one of the questions being asked yet again by users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I agree with Gnome's attempt to limit the search result because that reduces the confusion. I've been in situations where I end up with multiple results when using Ubuntu Software Center and being confused as to which one should I pick. However, I think Gnome is going extreme with this. The number of times where I search for something and get nothing is countless which makes no sense and makes Gnome Software of little use. Maybe Gnome should give the user the option to expand the search field when no results are found. Something like this:
    "No GUI app was found with this search criteria. Would you like to search for CLI apps instead?"

Comment

I think if you're installing something with a CLI, then you probably know your way around a CLI, and you'll probably use the CLI to install stuff.

I, for one, find running sudo apt-get install foobar or sudo pacman -S foobar a lot easier than any GUI implementation (I still have nightmares about Ubuntu's Software Centre, ugh!).

GUIs for installing programs on Linux is for noobs, and they should be kept accessible and free from complications. If I'm searching for something like handbrake, I want to see just one instance, not handbrake and handbrake-cli, that's just confusing the type of people who use a GUI installers.

Comment

No it shouldn't. Using CLI app implies that you know what it is and what it does. And using such "App Store" means that you have no idea how this stuff works hence having it there is just an obstruction. As simple as that.

Look I have users who just don't know how command line works and don't want to know that. That's why I install Fedora on their computers. I know that this is extremely unpopular but damn don't ban me from spreading Linux into the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
          I think if you're installing something with a CLI, then you probably know your way around a CLI, and you'll probably use the CLI to install stuff.

I, for one, find running sudo apt-get install foobar or sudo pacman -S foobar a lot easier than any GUI implementation (I still have nightmares about Ubuntu's Software Centre, ugh!).

GUIs for installing programs on Linux is for noobs, and they should be kept accessible and free from complications. If I'm searching for something like handbrake, I want to see just one instance, not handbrake and handbrake-cli, that's just confusing the type of people who use a GUI installers.
          This is indeed the right approach I think. I remember when I first started with Debian and the amount of results in GUI installer was way too much and confusing. I could not really figure out (or bothered to read the man/help be honest) to find out how non-GUI ones worked. It also made it harder to find GUI packages which were actually what I wanted. I don't think anybody will install CLI programs without using CLI interface anyway since it is the easier way.

An option sure will be nice but unnecessary in this one I guess. It will be most certainly unused and create extra code to maintain.

Comment

Remember why Linus switched from gnome to KDE a while ago?I don't know which interface he uses right now though...
            This is a qoute from Linus:
            I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.
            This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.
            Please, just tell people to use KDE.

There are more types of users than just advanced and noobs.There are always intermediate users.They are basically the type of user that does want to tinker with the system but does not want to use the CLI for that.And those users are the major weakpoint for Linux.The windows control panel is many times more powerful than any system settings app on any Linux.Sure the CLI is 10 times more powerful than the control panle on Windows,that is true.However Ideally we should on Linux have both-gui system settings that are more powerful than the wndows control panel and a CLI which is more powerful than the windows control panel.

Once again I repeat,the biggest problem for Linux are usually the "local geek squad also known" as "intermediate users".

Comment

So, no GCC for gnome-software users?

I think the gnome-software should provide not only the option to install and uninstall utilities "cli" system it must also offer the option to enable/disable/start the installed services. For exameple, when you install the SSH server, on the "page" of SSH on gsoftware, there is a button to start the service and a checkbox to enable on boot. Also the status of this service

Comment

This is so awful, I'm shocked at just how low GNOME is sinking. This is sad.
                Sent from my KDE.

Comment

While I agree that most Gnome applications are too dumbed down, to be useful to more experienced users, I think that they are excellent for people who either just started working with computers, or who just want to use the computer for "stuff one needs a computer for" and don't want to learn to do this more efficient.

My suggestion would be to have a popup dialogue window when starting the App Store for the first time (or maybe every time with a checkbox "Don't show this again"), that clearly tells the user that the Gnome App Store just presents a limited selection of the available programs, and that for a complete list one should use a complete package manager frontend. The dialogue could also contain a link that directly installs such a frontend with a GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by bluedragon777 View Post
                    Remember why Linus switched from gnome to KDE a while ago?I don't know which interface he uses right now though...
                    This is a qoute from Linus:
                    I personally just encourage people to switch to KDE.
                    This "users are idiots, and are confused by functionality" mentality of Gnome is a disease. If you think your users are idiots, only idiots will use it. I don't use Gnome, because in striving to be simple, it has long since reached the point where it simply doesn't do what I need it to do.
                    Please, just tell people to use KDE.

There are more types of users than just advanced and noobs.There are always intermediate users.They are basically the type of user that does want to tinker with the system but does not want to use the CLI for that.And those users are the major weakpoint for Linux.The windows control panel is many times more powerful than any system settings app on any Linux.Sure the CLI is 10 times more powerful than the control panle on Windows,that is true.However Ideally we should on Linux have both-gui system settings that are more powerful than the wndows control panel and a CLI which is more powerful than the windows control panel.

Once again I repeat,the biggest problem for Linux are usually the "local geek squad also known" as "intermediate users".
                    Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

he uses Gnome on Fedora it seems. and by the looks of it, he is quite content.

as far as CLI goes, one of applications you can install with Software is yumex. so, if anything Software should maybe present it self on first run like "hello, this is simplified software instalation, if you are looking for fine grained package management you might want to install XYZ" and simply offer installing that from introduction window. but, changing anything else beside few visual bugs would be mistake. Software is awesome for beginners. and the only real visual bug is not knowing what is working and what's not. like installing few packages when checking other groups and being stuck on ... buttons where nothing is presented on why that is so
                    Last edited by justmy2cents; 02 January 2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X