All Of Samsung's 2015 Smart TVs To Be Powered By Tizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    OLED gives a very poor image quality when compared to a more conventional LCD. Most OLED displays (Galaxy Nexus is specifically one of these) CHEAT on resolution. What you get with that specific device, is RGBG pentile pixel arrangement. What this means, is that you only get the actual claimed resolution in the GREEN pixels. Red and blue are only 1280x360. Color accuracy is also weak on AMOLED. They've marketed their way around it a bit by calling the colors "rich and deep", but what it amounts to is oversaturation.

I usually view any AMOLED display as being resolution-comparable to the next resolution DOWN in a non-AMOLED LCD, and trading off color accuracy for reduced power consumption on dark/black.

FYI: My current phone is a samsung with AMOLED, and I absolutely HATE its display. Bought it unseen, and it was a real shock when I saw how bad it was. The phone I had previous to it, HTC Vision, had an 800x480 SLCD -- *MUCH* better display, just otherwise totally dated. I do have a nexus 6 on order, which is another amoled, but I'm thinking that being quad-hd will overcome the RGBG so that maybe it can achieve a similar output quality to a 1080p. Either way, I'm pretty used to the crappyness of the amoled, so the N6 won't be too much of a shock.
    oled gives best image quality among consumer display technologies. "cheating on resolution" has nothing to do with amoled, it can be applied to ips as well. and it is cheating on bits per pixel, not resolution(16 bits per pixel, while most ips are 18). and there are plenty of amoled devices without pentile. color accuracy of amoled is wonderful, compared to magenta blur of ips when viewed from angle. you probably wanted to say that you prefer gray srgb colors to saturated ones, but it is controlled by software, i.e. by color profile. so you are just random clueless moron.

Comment

The color and viewing angle of my Galaxy S3 ("HD" 720p "Super AMOLED" screen) is great, although I think I liked the colors on my HTC Amaze 4G (S-LCD, 540x960, got hot-as-fuck and sucked the life out of batteries, at lowest brightness. Heat/suckage wasn't so much related to the display, though) better. The glass on that phone was a fingerprint magnet, but it was pretty nice. The backlight on both screens is way too bright though, imo, unless you're outside.

That said, you can get a 10.5" tablet from Samsung with an AMOLED display, so they're getting up in size. I thought I saw an oled TV at bestbuy that was about 32-40", but I wasn't really looking at TVs so I might have imagined it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nobu View Post
        The color and viewing angle of my Galaxy S3 ("HD" 720p "Super AMOLED" screen) is great, although I think I liked the colors on my HTC Amaze 4G (S-LCD, 540x960, got hot-as-fuck and sucked the life out of batteries, at lowest brightness. Heat/suckage wasn't so much related to the display, though) better. The glass on that phone was a fingerprint magnet, but it was pretty nice. The backlight on both screens is way too bright though, imo, unless you're outside.

That said, you can get a 10.5" tablet from Samsung with an AMOLED display, so they're getting up in size. I thought I saw an oled TV at bestbuy that was about 32-40", but I wasn't really looking at TVs so I might have imagined it.
        There's a 1080p 55" OLED TV available now for $3500. It supposedly has a pretty awesome picture, but at only 1080p resolution it's still really expensive compared to the LED competition.

Comment

Working...
        X