Librem Linux Laptop Drops NVIDIA Graphics But Still Coming Up Short Of Goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
    They can release a version with a AMD A10 2014 APU, and will be a less final price target...and you get a better graphics card...

But it have to support AMD Enduro, to get better battery, when you don't need too much graphic power...

This option sounds to me much more balanced than a i7, because then you end without power graphics option...

A A10-7400P APU or even the A8-7200P sounds good, especially the first one :P

So does they will offer a similar setup with it?
    Very unlikely because from the fsf perspective a nvidia grafics chip is more free than a amd one. Why because the firmware is included and gets not updated with kernel-updates. So they consider it as "hardware". Its a point I am not so shure I agree to, but its the position of the fsf. Thats a fact so we have to deal with that.

Not that I care to much 15" is to big for me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      You know what? They also use proprietary firmware in keyboard controllers and various chips. So what? Firmware is few kilobytes big and is strictly for controlling hardware.
      So your argument is invalid.

Nvidia however ships with 100 megabyte BLOB driver, who needs modprobe SUID tool to load, that basically jeopardizes any security benefit of running Xorg not as root. Not to mention it plugs directly from userspace to hardware busses via just this driver (backdoors). So no, they are not hypocrites.
      ... and Xorg is so secure that the NV or AMD blob is a real concern!

Comment

16GB/500GB/DVD/1920 for $1899. That's an expensive computer.

Comment

Intel knows how to be better than AMD. Just use the Haswell with Iris Pro graphics

Comment

lulz. Talk about ridiculously overpriced boat anchor.

Sager 7338 @ ~$1k is just so much more of a better deal all around.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
              lulz. Talk about ridiculously overpriced boat anchor.

Sager 7338 @ ~$1k is just so much more of a better deal all around.
              I dont say that this notebook is cheap but you miss here many details:

1. its not around 1k its ~1.1k
              2. coreboot and no firmware in linux needed
              3. for you who dont care about freedom, 3kg instead of 2kg (the 15" models)
              4. even worse: 1.68" think vs 0.86" double so think, so one is a so called ultrabook the other not, or a very thick one dont know on which point it starts or how intel gives that logo.
              5. 1 year warranty vs 2 years.
              6. the intel iris pro thing should work better then the intel chip in this laptop, if you dont care about freedom... thats maybe no valid point, but then maybe you should not consider this "Libre"m notebook anyway.

So both are expensive but the freedom thing is clearly the better product but more expensive, I dont need such device, but if I would consider this book. Sadly for me even 13" is to big maybe they get a 11" version out in the future a docking station prices down, core i5 version and hey I am interested

Comment

on the other hand its totaly not the formfactor and design I like, but for people that like appleish notebooks it looks great also designwise it looks better than this sagem, and we all know that apple sells the design of their plastick things for several hundret dollars extra so why should it be here so much different, and in this case its not only design.

If you compare it to the macbook pro 15" it has some advantages some disadvantages, yes I would tend for the hardware only to get the apple device, but only a bit, maybe the price would help me to not get the apple

librem:
                - 100 dollars cheaper
                - faster cpu
                - changeble ram (is the ram soldered on the 15" macbook pro?)
                - 2 year warranty

macbook pro:
                - higher resolution display
                - 16gb ram included
                - maybe better batterie?

So its pretty close, so the software desites do you like to be watched by nsa or controlled from apple so that they deside what you are allowed to do or not? Or do you want to be free as much as possible.

its about the same kind of offer apple makes you, shurly only full-hd on a 15" laptop is pretty bad... maybe they should fix that part
                Last edited by blackiwid; 24 December 2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I have a laptop with an Intel GPU Iris Pro 5200 Graphics. openSUSE 13.2, Table 10.3, kernel 3.18.1. And it still does not work well. I just hope that now more attention to this chart is provided, because her so few have we forgotten, and even more than her so few are even fewer who we put GNU / Linux. I left the money in a ultrabook, Clevo w740su, and I feel ripped off with the best graphics card intel to date. The top model is the one that receives less attention.

Comment

Tengo un port?til con una GPU Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics. openSUSE 13.2, mesa 10.3, kernel 3.18.1. Y todav?a no funciona bien. S?lo espero que ahora se preste m?s atenci?n a ?sta gr?fica, porque al tenerla tan pocos nos tienen olvidados, y m?s aun que tenerla tan pocos, somos menos aun los que le ponemos GNU/Linux. Me dej? el dinero en un ultrabook, Clevo w740su, y me siento estafado con la mejor tarjeta gr?fica intel hasta la fecha. La tope de gama es la que menos atenci?n recibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Solrak View Post
                      I have a laptop with an Intel GPU Iris Pro 5200 Graphics. openSUSE 13.2, Table 10.3, kernel 3.18.1. And it still does not work well. I just hope that now more attention to this chart is provided, because her so few have we forgotten, and even more than her so few are even fewer who we put GNU / Linux. I left the money in a ultrabook, Clevo w740su, and I feel ripped off with the best graphics card intel to date. The top model is the one that receives less attention.
                      it seems its often like that, dont know to much about the intel chips but on amd side the situation with newer hd7xxx r2xx cards were a very long time not soooo good. Most likely a new generation?

Buying to new grafic cards under linux is often not so clever.

Comment

Working...
                      X