Ian Jackson Resigns From The Debian Technical Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Minority viewpoint? It sounds more like a personal agenda from what I've read.

It's all well and good if proposing alternatives advances progress in the right direction. But his viewpoints were just sour grapes and only served to slow down development of Debian. They chose systemd after a thorough decision-making process, it's time to move on.
    His concern was perfectly valid, it's just not TC/GR's place to dictate how upstream projects should develop their software

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      Are you saying that voicing a minority viewpoint has no place in this world?
      there is a subtly difference between voicing and forcing

Comment

"I myself am clearly too controversial a figure at this point"
        at this point ? some people are incredibly slow

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
          Because it's no longer a technical issue, it's become a completely emotional issue for a lot of people.
          ofc
          it's also a "UNIX fanboy" issue and "people hate new stuff" issue and "people hate lennart" issue and "people don't understand how great it is" issue
          but that a simple gtk program like nm-applet depends on gnome3 and systemd is not a technical issue

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            ofc
            it's also a "UNIX fanboy" issue and "people hate new stuff" issue and "people hate lennart" issue and "people don't understand how great it is" issue
            and some big sites "fueling the flames to drive clicks" issue

Comment

but that a simple gtk program like nm-applet depends on gnome3 and systemd is not a technical issue
              No, but it is certainly a choice of your distro maintainer

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                No, but it is certainly a choice of your distro maintainer
                It's more likely a choice of the app developer, not the distro maintainer.

Comment

ofc
                  I'm wondering if you could elaborate a bit?

GNOME is a software collection, it's practically impossible to "depend on it" from a software package (unless you mean a group dependency in comps.xml). You can choose on depending on a part of it that is useful to you (say the DBus client or the windowing toolkit) without depending on the rest (such as the shell or sound theme). The same with systemd -- it's essentially the Linux userspace plumbing, you usually depend on certain portions of it, such as udev (which could be, at distro's option, provided without other systemd parts).

That said, at least on my Fedora 21 the network-manager-applet package depends on nothing that would count as "GNOME dependency" or "systemd dependency".

Lastly, I fail to see how wouldn't that be a technical issue.

Comment

Originally posted by madjr View Post
                    and some big sites "fueling the flames to drive clicks" issue
                    Wait, someone other than Phoronix is covering it?

(dude, phoronix is small)

Comment

As far as I can remember, nm-applet has always been a Gnome app, never a "simple gtk program". And it doesn't depend on systemd, it depends on logind's interfaces. Both are *very much* technical issues:

a) using Gnome libraries instead of reimplementing in-house what the libraries provide
                      b) using logind to allow an unprivileged user to mess around with networking settings, an otherwise privileged operation

Comment

Working...
                      X