No announcement yet.

Ian Jackson Resigns From The Debian Technical Committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very sad about another resignation. These people have put in countless hours with no expectation of personal gain, other than being a member of a great community.

It is worrying that trolls and idiots can do so much damage; they don't realise that good will and respect takes a long time to build and a short time to destroy.

Unfortunately I predict that other distros will also get hit.

Comment

Four resigns in less than two weeks? By the end of the year we'll have to make sure there's still someone left to turn off the lights before resigning. :P

Joke aside, this is already too much. What next?

Comment

He was likely either partially responsible or the final nail in the coffin for all the recent resignations, so I'm quite happy to see him go. I highly doubt he's leaving Debian or even distancing himself from the project, though. I expect to see more childish actions and drama caused by him in the future even if he's no longer part of the TC.

Comment

The minority view is important for civil rights, in software not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by toyotabedzrock View Post
            Neither GNU not Linux would exist without the minority view, so I'd say it's important.

Comment

I can hardly imagine using the same UI/UX as the phone on a tablet.

Comment

No, the minority view is important in software too. Just because a choice is popular doesn't mean it's right. Look at Java. ( I can bash Java, I use Java for my day job. )

From what I understand, and what others posting on this discussion have said, the problem isn't that Ian Jackson presented a minority view. The problem is that he kept fighting the majority decision long after any reasonable amount of consideration for the minority position had been exceeded, including calling for the resignation of the Debian technical committee chairman over this.

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                Wait, someone other than Phoronix is covering it?

(dude, phoronix is small)
                It's been on the front cover of Slashdot a lot, and on Reddit a few times, I think - but most of those stories do link here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
                  Because it's no longer a technical issue, it's become a completely emotional issue for a lot of people.
                  ignoring the issues doesn't make them disapear and actually is causing this big emotional attitude. you might be of the opinion they aren't big but that's not the opinion of all or the most as it seems.

Comment

Can be valid stand point, but you spoke like president of which country/company

Sorry, but that sounds too political to me - any country/company in this world may have those both different on paper or reality
                    Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2014, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Otherwise, one more killed by SystemD.

Comment

Working...
                      X