Microsoft To Open-Source .NET, Bring It Officially To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    I think your second reason carries a lot more weight than the first. That's probably the complete answer.

... which disappoints me. Java 6 is no prize. Maybe the best hope for ending developer nightmares is cross-platform toolkits written in other languages, like Xamarin and (as polarathene already mentioned) Haxe.
    My understanding is that Google will, in the long run, replace Java with Go in android. The firsts steps are taken now... Meaning that soon Java and Go will be able to reside side-by-side.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post
      Do we get VisualStudio for Linux?
      Not for now atleast.
      However they have ported it to iOS and Android som maybe in the future?

However the new open souce compilers do provide API for analyze information so
      it should be quick for JetBrains to provide a version of IDEA for C#.

Comment

Thanks but no thanks?

You know (you , the reader) how much people like to complain when they are not getting something,
        And when they get it they are like "Yea... thanks but no thanks",

In this instance, Complaining about microsoft being closed and now opening some of their products?
        Well... Yea... Thanks but no thanks.

Riddle time : "If you have it, You don't want it, If you don't have it, you don't need it"
        That would be Mono, WINE and .NET for me at least :P

This is like putting sticks in a wheelchair because some great PR guy gave them to you for "FREE" and told you they are awesome.
        Last edited by Illasera; 13 November 2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vein View Post
          My understanding is that Google will, in the long run, replace Java with Go in android. The firsts steps are taken now... Meaning that soon Java and Go will be able to reside side-by-side.
          Really? Interesting. I did some searching, and this is the most recent interesting thing I've found: http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/06/go...oid-native-dev

Comment

Originally posted by Illasera View Post
            You know (you , the reader) how much people like to complain when they are not getting something,
            And when they get it they are like "Yea... thanks but no thanks",

In this instance, Complaining about microsoft being closed and now opening some of their products?
            Well... Yea... Thanks but no thanks.

Riddle time : "If you have it, You don't want it, If you don't have it, you don't need it"
            That would be Mono, WINE and .NET for me at least :P

This is like putting sticks in a wheelchair because some great PR guy gave them to you for "FREE" and told you they are awesome.
            Uuuu! People are so unforgiving to Osama Ben Laden distributing candies to children! Don`t you see - has he changed. Six hours later at ambulance....

What a gibberish! History lesson helps you a lot, as well as definition of healthy pragmatism.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
              Not for now atleast.
              However they have ported it to iOS and Android som maybe in the future?

However the new open souce compilers do provide API for analyze information so
              it should be quick for JetBrains to provide a version of IDEA for C#.
              You gotta be kidding!

They released OpenCore. They have not changed the business layout. They have not changed their practices. They have not changed to policy to bind everyone to THEIR platform. And so on! Recently they anounced to dump Nokia brand altogether.

They released core, so their platform increases market penetration (and lays out good base for EEE) as well as to increase sales in their cash-cow products - VS is one of them. Dream baby, dream!

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              Two words: copyrightable APIs. If the US Supreme Court doesn't overturn the ruling that awards Oracle the copyright over the entire Java API, Oracle will have exactly that, and you'll witness an exile of scared developers fearing copyright prosecution just by programming for Java. .NET wants to be a non hostile destination, and that's why it's licensed with a MIT license.

BTW, if the Supreme Court overturns that ruling, expect a reversal. It's MS, after all.
              Oh yeah! This lion is a good lion, that lion is bad lion. The sheep will trust superior marketing.
              Last edited by brosis; 13 November 2014, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Really? Interesting. I did some searching, and this is the most recent interesting thing I've found: http://www.infoq.com/news/2014/06/go...oid-native-dev
                Actually that was one of the things I was reading too. I have to admit that maybe replacing java with go is something that I am dreaming of...

But anyway, we should be able to use go in Android developement pretty soon and I hope that google in follow in this path in the future. I have nothing against Java but I really love Go

Comment

In many ways I expected this, but the conspiracy shrieking in this thread is ridiculous. Have you ever stopped to consider that maybe just maybe with Sinofsky and Ballmer gone and with someone friendly to the .NET team in power (Nadella) that this has nothing to do with Microsoft's bottom line and everything to do with Anders and friends now having the power to run .NET how they want to.

I mean seriously... WPF just shoved a fist out of its grave. For those not keeping track that tech was considered dead when WinRT was announced, and yet here it is again being dusted off and picked up again. If the announcements here were all just about the bottom line WPF would have stayed dead.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    You gotta be kidding!

They released OpenCore. They have not changed the business layout. They have not changed their practices. They have not changed to policy to bind everyone to THEIR platform. And so on! Recently they anounced to dump Nokia brand altogether.
                    They sure have. They promised to port .NET to OSX and Linux and to work with Xamarin and Unity3D.
                    They have added Linux support to Azure and they provide easy to use virtual machines for IE testing.
                    They provides a lot of open source javascript librarys and are using others. They do a lot of work on
                    the W3C standards.

Microsoft have shiften towards providing infrastructure and support. If you can get paid anually or monthly
                    for the same product instead of once, why hesitate?

Comment

Well, I've been working with Java for almost ten years. I'm in "the grass is greener on the other side of the fence" mode, I'm sick of Java and all of the warts that drive you bonkers - explicit typing, the fact that you use the java.util package everywhere but it's not imported by default, getX/setX conventions, and a hundred other major and lesser headaches. (Note that I'm complaining about explicit typing, not static typing. Many other statically typed languages can do auto x = 4; and have the compiler figure out x is an integer and block uses of x that don't treat it like an integer. C++11, Scala, Haskell, D, etc... but in Java I'm always stuck with SomeClassName x = new SomeClassName(); ... ) Even if you don't go whacky with functional programming and metaprogramming and other trips, a straight conversion of most Java code to Scala or Groovy will cut your lines of code by 70%.
                      I like int x = 4; For me it is easier to read, and I know everyone reading the code will know that 4 is not a string or object, but a primitive int 4. Other things like setters, new Object etc, from my POV, are done completelly automatically by IDEs for a decade now. After typing ClassName one usually just hits Ctrl + space two times, or something, and get ClassName className = new ClassName();

Now, why is def className = className.newInstance() better than 'new className();'? This is really a question since I have neither experience, nor theoretical knowledge in Scala or Groovy.
                      I view that need to dip into Java from time to time as a plus. I can't get hired as a senior Clojure developer somewhere because I don't have that much experience with Clojure. But for a company mixing Clojure and Java, I can use my experience with Java as an "in". In an ideal world I'd jump completely to something different, just for the change of pace. But I can't, for example, point to three hundred lines of Python on a github account and expect some place to pay me big bucks as a Python developer.

Everybody was a novice at some point or other. There are newbies making newbie mistakes with every language.
                      Yup, but that's another story. I was speaking about senior developers who lack a lot of basic stuff, and this is not a rarity, it is a usual situation.

Comment

Working...
                      X