Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Emacs Finally Switching Over To Git From Bazaar

Phoronix: GNU Emacs Finally Switching Over To Git From Bazaar

GNU Emacs is finally in the process of transitioning to Git for their revision control system rather than GNU Bazaar...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wait 3 days, then ESR will suggest Emacs to change the license to BSD.

Comment

As of bzr 1.12 (and many previous versions) the dirstate working tree format uses an OS lock on the dirstate file. This was done so that we could safely make in-place updates to the dirstate file. Bzr also (and its tied to the OS lock usage) uses an edit-inplace approach to modifying the file. However, this causes several problems:  * While the dirstate file is locked, it cannot be read: eg by info (bug 174055) or by diff  * OS locks don't work well on all platforms  * They are particularl...

Nice read.

Comment

Bzr is dying, upstart is gone, MIR is next?
        Or do we have to wait a few years again for Canonical to get its grip.

Comment

bzr is really bad or was a bad choice. I think they choose it because its more or less the one that is targeted to noobs most, or was.

mercurial would be the only alterantive to git, not going always the mainstreamway is I think also a strong power of the emacs community, so that would be maybe interesting but git is also ok. the differences between this 2 projects are not that big. A emacs developer should not care to much anyway because he will most likely use a vcs module that manages the backend for him. or hides it from him.

Are there people out that prefer mercurial over git, and when yes why?

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            A emacs developer should not care to much anyway because he will most likely use a vcs module that manages the backend for him. or hides it from him.
            If you do serious stuff with your code, you likely want total control on the fully-featured native interface of the vcs, not a limited generic abstract layer.

Comment

I do prefer bazaar to git becouse of the principle that you don't change history. However most of my projects uses git
              due to simplicity by support of tools like github (and tools that integrate with github) and support from IDEs.
              Featurewise I judge them similarly.

I do like the SHA hashes from git even though numbers are simpler to comunicate.

The only major problem with bazaar is that it's dying, however with a competitor like git it may be understandable.

Originally posted by wagaf View Post
              If you do serious stuff with your code, you likely want total control on the fully-featured native interface of the vcs, not a limited generic abstract layer.
              I have never seen a real IDE that doesn't map the actions in the IDE 1:1 to the terminal commands.
              Stuff like the github program or sublime I wouldn't touch with a stick however...

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                bzr is really bad or was a bad choice. I think they choose it because its more or less the one that is targeted to noobs most, or was.

mercurial would be the only alterantive to git, not going always the mainstreamway is I think also a strong power of the emacs community, so that would be maybe interesting but git is also ok. the differences between this 2 projects are not that big. A emacs developer should not care to much anyway because he will most likely use a vcs module that manages the backend for him. or hides it from him.

Are there people out that prefer mercurial over git, and when yes why?
                Mercurial requires more memory and bigger operations on files are really slow. Probably just Python fanboys use it. There are no technical benefits really.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                  I have never seen a real IDE that doesn't map the actions in the IDE 1:1 to the terminal commands.
                  Stuff like the github program or sublime I wouldn't touch with a stick however...
                  IDEs are graphical interfaces - in general they can't replicate the full power of a terminal command without being extremely clunky.
                  Most IDEs simply provide an interface for the most common commands - enough to enable seamless committing, but not enough to eliminate the use of a native interface entirely.

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                  Mercurial requires more memory and bigger operations on files are really slow. Probably just Python fanboys use it. There are no technical benefits really.
                  Having used it once, I believe the one benefit it does have over git is more consistent commands. The git commands are a mess of inconsistency, but no-one fixes this because it would break too many workflows.

Comment

Good. Now get MariaDB to do the same!

Comment

Working...
                    X