Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
    Android IS Linux.

If people want to claim "Linux Gaming" is something else then they need to be much more specific. "Linux/X on x86" for example.

You don't see people doing "Linux Gaming" on a Raspberry Pi or a DDWRT Netgear router either, but those are certainly Linux systems.
    There are certain conventions used over the years. When people talk about Linux as a OS they usually talk about GNU Linux distributions. The same is true for "Linux Gaming".

You can twist those definitions all you want, but that only makes you look even more desperate.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
      There are certain conventions used over the years. When people talk about Linux as a OS they usually talk about GNU Linux distributions. The same is true for "Linux Gaming".

You can twist those definitions all you want, but that only makes you look even more desperate.
      Right. To fill in the requirements, which I think have been implicit for the rest of the discussion, the discussion of the State of Linux Gaming is about getting mainstream, top-selling, AAA titles running on Linux desktops and laptops natively. Crysis, Far Cry 4, Bioshock, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, etc...

Android gaming might be great right now, but that's not what is under discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post

I'm not twisting anything. I am being precise. And I don't know who is desperate but it isn't me. Check who you are responding to.

In fact specifying Linux/GNU/X is not precise enough even. You have to specify the exact version of glibc and the kernel and PulseAudio or ALSA. Like Valve did by only supporting a particular version of Ubuntu.

A Gentoo or Linux From Scratch user might not be able to play a AAA Linux game if they compiled different packages or package versions than expected, or enabled or disabled particular Linux kernel build options. Running the wrong desktop compositor can also cause problems if it doesn't know the particular X application hints for going full screen and to disable composite desktop.

Going to claim Gentoo isn't "real Linux?"

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
          Right. To fill in the requirements, which I think have been implicit for the rest of the discussion, the discussion of the State of Linux Gaming is about getting mainstream, top-selling, AAA titles running on Linux desktops and laptops natively. Crysis, Far Cry 4, Bioshock, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty, Starcraft 2, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Assassin's Creed, World of Warcraft, etc...

Android gaming might be great right now, but that's not what is under discussion.
          Crysis: They ported CryEngine to Linux. Maybe, just maybe we'll see something related to Crysis in Linux in the future.
          Far Cry: Ubisoft doesn't really seem to be Linux friendly.
          BioShock: Irrational Games is gone. So a new BioShock seem less likely (even for Windows) now, it will probably happen anyway; not for Linux through.
          MoH: I think MoH is simply gone, forever. The last attempt to revive it failed within months.
          CoD: It has become very console-centric (Advanced Warfare is a evidence of this), it's also bad for Windows PCs, I would say, don't try and nobody will care either.
          StarCraft: Maybe, Blizzard is very good at doing things that they haven't done before. All of their products are a evidence of that, and maybe trying Linux could be too...
          Dragon Age: Eh, no. I before I'd ask for a Dragon Age game, I would ask Bioware about their new Mass Effect. They are switching to Frostbite Engine (the same of the EA's Battlefield series) on that, so Dragon Age probably is too (and if that isn't ported to Linux, a sure no).
          Assassin's Creed: About the same as Far Cry.
          WoW: The same thing with StarCraft.

This is just wild speculation, so go easy on me. And I am not implictly directing this comment to you, but to what I think of the probablilities of each series you mention to get a Linux port.

EDIT: Derp, Dragon Age already switched to Frostbite.
          Last edited by Paul-L; 11 November 2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
            Crysis: They ported CryEngine to Linux. Maybe, just maybe we'll see something related to Crysis in Linux in the future.
            Far Cry: Ubisoft doesn't really seem to be Linux friendly.
            BioShock: Irrational Games is gone. So a new BioShock seem less likely (even for Windows) now, it will probably happen anyway; not for Linux through.
            MoH: I think MoH is simply gone, forever. The last attempt to revive it failed within months.
            CoD: It has become very console-centric (Advanced Warfare is a evidence of this), it's also bad for Windows PCs, I would say, don't try and nobody will care either.
            StarCraft: Maybe, Blizzard is very good at doing things that they haven't done before. All of their products are a evidence of that, and maybe trying Linux could be too...
            Dragon Age: Eh, no. I before I'd ask for a Dragon Age game, I would ask Bioware about their new Mass Effect. They are switching to Frostbite Engine (the same of the EA's Battlefield series) on that, so Dragon Age probably is too (and if that isn't ported to Linux, a sure no).
            Assassin's Creed: About the same as Far Cry.
            WoW: The same thing with StarCraft.

This is just wild speculation, so go easy on me. And I am not implictly directing this comment to you, but to what I think of the probablilities of each series you mention to get a Linux port.

EDIT: Derp, Dragon Age already switched to Frostbite.
            Honestly, I haven't been following the industry that much. I was just aware those games don't have officially supported on Linux. Some work with Wine, but I don't know which and while Wine is amazingly good considering their ambitious goal, it's not good enough that I would just say, "Install Lubuntu / Xubuntu / Mint / Arch / Fedora / SUSE, then install Wine, put your games on, and go!" to someone that's not pretty tech-savvy or even someone that's tech-savvy but doesn't enjoy tinkering.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post
              I'm not twisting anything. I am being precise.
              There is no need for precision here because conventions have been established long ago. Counting "Android Gaming" as "Linux Gaming", just because Android uses a Linux kernel, _is_ desperate. Hiding behind precision doesn't change that.

Comment

On Zan Lynx's tangent

On Zan Lynx's tangent - Android - I do wonder if Android will be the long term path to Linux gaming on laptops and desktops, because eventually Android might become a common operating system for laptops and desktops. Consider that each new version of Android adds more features, and 5.0 supports some multitasking.

I wouldn't put Android on my laptop now, even if most existing applications ran well with Androix x86_64. But Android 7.0 (or CyanogenMod 15 or whatever) in, say, five years? Maybe that will be the Windows-killer some of us Linux fanboys have been waiting for.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
                  On Zan Lynx's tangent - Android - I do wonder if Android will be the long term path to Linux gaming on laptops and desktops, because eventually Android might become a common operating system for laptops and desktops. Consider that each new version of Android adds more features, and 5.0 supports some multitasking.

I wouldn't put Android on my laptop now, even if most existing applications ran well with Androix x86_64. But Android 7.0 (or CyanogenMod 15 or whatever) in, say, five years? Maybe that will be the Windows-killer some of us Linux fanboys have been waiting for.
                  The thing is that transporting a full screen GLES2+ program from linux to android seems pretty trivial (. Going the other way might be harder if you use the features of the OS to any degree, but usually games and other interactive graphic programs only really want a full screen, input devices and the OS's best wishes, right?

So, if there are android versions of games, linux (ie Ubuntu or Fedora versions) sort of show up for free, no?

In the meantime, Android benefits mesa, etc.

Comment

ohh my again and again the linux term discussion.

if you say under linux and you want to be precise, you mean only the kernel if you keep away conventions (stupid ones in this field but they are still somewhat there).

So its like you would say bsd kernel is a OS. and we have several bsd kernels (in the meaning of oses). that just makes no sense.

There are 2 thing you could mean with linux.

1. the kernel
                    2. you are to lazy to call it gnu/linux and mean gnu/linux with "linux"

There is no 3rd definition. its like you would call each OS that is able to run firefox, firefox OS.

Even google calls it Android, they dont even call it Android Linux:
                    Discover more about Android & learn how our devices can help you Do more with Google with hyper connectivity, powerful protection, Google apps, & Quick Share.

Android unites the world! Use the open source Android operating system to power your device. COPY

search the word linux, (except selinux you dont find it). They call it Android, not linux not android linux JUST android.

is that unprecise, yes it is it was from day one when somebody called GNU/Linux Linux... it made no sense, and everybody who called it taht way meant always gnu/linux/X. No some people think they can use it for every OS that uses Linux, but that would be like a Name virus. Again you could do the same with Firefox. Build on top of a old mistake new mistakes that is just a great strategy.

If we want to be precise really, we have GNU as os or mabye GNU/(LINUX) or short GNU/Linux and we have Android both are operation Systems that use a Linux kernel. Thats precise.

Comment

[black@jupiter /]$ uname -o
                      GNU/Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X