No announcement yet.

Don't Use Fedora's Fedup Right Now Due To A Bug With Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dosen't that kinda make you a hypocrite wanting everyone to give up on something they prefer?

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
      So.....if the thermal's fail because of crappy BIOS/UEFI and then damages the hardware because the laptop wake up inside a case for some reason. Yeah i see that noone will blame the OS when it probably will shut down in Windows while it burns up in Linux.
      You are considering a scenario where the only thing preventing a laptop burning is software, which is nightmarish. The software in question is Windows, which is stephen king on acid nightmarish. Halloween was yesterday, dude.

Comment

This is not a bug

This is the intended behavior.

The showstopper, anyway, is that this behavior can't be disabled, or the booting period extended, by editing a config file. A compilation flag is already too cumbersome. In most other programs a flag could suffice but in systemd case people in production having this kind of problem shouldn't have to set up a dev environment and recompile or hunt the net for a patched version which might or not might be identical to the one deployed.

I do not envy sysadmins for the next couple years...

Comment

Originally posted by mpppp View Post
          This is the intended behavior.

The showstopper, anyway, is that this behavior can't be disabled, or the booting period extended, by editing a config file
          Not right.

Comment

Ahahaha, let me check if I understood it right:
            every time I find a bug in an alpha release I should blame the upstream devs because of that?
            Of course not but, because it is systemd, you can do an exception and became ridiculous on phoronix! Good idea.

The beta is planned for the next week, right? So the people have installed *alpha* software, isn't it?
            Alpha software could be dangerous, pay attention! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Dosen't that kinda make you a hypocrite wanting everyone to give up on something they prefer?
              For the n-th time: the problem is not systemd as an alternative, quite the contrary. The problem is that systemd is forcing people to use systemd through dependencies, leaving any alternatives on their own, for no good reason (other than "my feels" and "my innovation").

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
              Ahahaha, let me check if I understood it right:
              every time I find a bug in an alpha release I should blame the upstream devs because of that?
              Of course not but, because it is systemd, you can do an exception and became ridiculous on phoronix! Good idea.

The beta is planned for the next week, right? So the people have installed *alpha* software, isn't it?
              Alpha software could be dangerous, pay attention! LOL
              Of course alpha software is dangerous, but how would you solve a problem that is considered a "feature"? Also, you should tell Arch users that their whole distro is dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                For the n-th time: the problem is not systemd as an alternative, quite the contrary. The problem is that systemd is forcing people to use systemd through dependencies, leaving any alternatives on their own, for no good reason (other than "my feels" and "my innovation").
                I keep hearing this. What dependencies are these? Is there any software other than Gnome that requires systemd? Isn't that Gnome's choice, rather than systemd's? These are honest questions. I use systemd as it is the default in my distro of choice, and haven't had any reason to switch to any alternatives.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                  I keep hearing this. What dependencies are these? Is there any software other than Gnome that requires systemd? Isn't that Gnome's choice, rather than systemd's? These are honest questions.
                  and here is an honest answer
                  i had debian jessie with xfce on a laptop and i removed networkmanager and its gtk applet
                  couple days later i wanted to put it back
                  installing nm-applet pulled in networkmanager, but it also pulled in gnome3 and systemd
                  i'm sure there is some logic behind it doing that, but what happened is just stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
                    So.....if the thermal's fail because of crappy BIOS/UEFI and then damages the hardware because the laptop wake up inside a case for some reason. Yeah i see that noone will blame the OS when it probably will shut down in Windows while it burns up in Linux.
                    No, it will not. Linux kernel has thermal checks for this exact reason and when your CPU overheats, it throttles at first and at some point it will shut everything down (wheather fedora is updating or not).
                    If you take a look at your kernel log sometimes, you can see such warnings in kernel log:

Code:
                    [137547.968129] CPU2: Package temperature/speed normal
                    [137547.968130] CPU0: Package temperature/speed normal
                    [137548.124277] CPU2: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 16455155)
                    [137548.124280] CPU3: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 16455154)
                    [137548.125289] CPU2: Core temperature/speed normal
                    [137548.125291] CPU3: Core temperature/speed normal
                    [137847.287143] CPU2: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 17888019)
                    [137847.287147] CPU3: Package temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 17888017)
                    This will slow down your CPU and also prevent it from frying.
                    Last edited by Guest; 01 November 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

but in systemd case people in production having this kind of problem
                      Yes, because people in production upgrade to a ALPHA version of their distro. Right.

i had debian jessie with xfce on a laptop and i removed networkmanager and its gtk applet
                      couple days later i wanted to put it back
                      installing nm-applet pulled in networkmanager, but it also pulled in gnome3 and systemd
                      This is because the dependencies in Debian are retarded. The policy is "enable all features by default", which causes massive pulls every time you want to install something.
                      Today I wanted to install gnome-calculator from LXDE, the little bastard wanted to pull no less than 300megabytes of deps...

Comment

Working...
                      X