Slackware Developer Not Happy With KDE5 Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pouar View Post
    Too me KDE SC 5 is in the development stages. I wouldn't upgrade to it until at least everything gets ported which hasn't happened yet.
    Yep, realistically it will take 1 to 3 years. But no matter how immature a product is there'll always be someone telling you it's good enough.

Comment

I've been using Plasma 5 since summer. There have been some rougher spots, but now they're more or less ironed out. The only thing missing is that there is no KScreen5 (probably tied to this issue: it exists, but not officially released...). Now for package maintainers it's probably a bit harder than users, but that's expected at this point. They did say there will be applications releases, for instance, but they will be simply snapshots (obviously then the dependencies will get resolved).

Comment

Arch doesn't like new KDE as well. Plasma is still only in AUR. In contrary KDE 4 still receives even smallest updates.

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
          Arch doesn't like new KDE as well. Plasma is still only in AUR. In contrary KDE 4 still receives even smallest updates.
          On the Arch wiki:
          As of version 5.0, KDE libraries, workspace and applications are released separately and have different release schedules. Frameworks 5 (the libraries) are available in the official repositories as kf5 and kf5-aids. Plasma 5 (the workspace) is available in AUR as plasma-desktop. Applications based on KF5 will have a first release in December 2014.

Comment

A lot of smoke for nothing.
            Maybe the Slackware developer had nothing better to write about for his blog.

Comment

Originally posted by gufide View Post
              On the Arch wiki:
              I'm aware of that but this doesn't change anything. Plasma was released as a stable ages ago, and KDE5 it is not in Arch official repo- at least not completely.
              Anyway, I doesn't like use KDE.

Comment

To much noice for nothing.
                The KDE5 stuff in slackware is non official and only for testing, i think Eric should wait and try it out at a later time.

Comment

Actually, this mess was a complete accident. One of the Plasma developers thought it was OK to make Plasma 5.1 depend on Frameworks 5.3 as Frameworks 5.3 was scheduled to be released first. However, this led to the fact that development versions of Plasma 5.1 couldn't not be built (or tested) on the official stable build of Frameworks at the time (Frameworks 5.2). After speaking to Albert Astals Cid (as Albert is one of the "caretakers" of KDE infrastructure or the "KDE Gardening Team"), the Plasma developers apologized and promised to never let this happen again. Now Plasma will always build on a officially released version of Frameworks. I guess even the Plasma developers are still getting used to the new split releases (at the dismay of packagers)!
                  Last edited by CTown; 15 October 2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                    A lot of smoke for nothing.
                    Maybe the Slackware developer had nothing better to write about for his blog.
                    So Eric was building the new stuff on Slackware-current, trying to make packages so others can test, got frustrated, and wrote about it on his blog. No big deal. It seems like had some descent reasons to be upset.

But this doesn't seem to be news worthy to bring up a developer frustrated with development software.

Comment

Originally posted by maslascher View Post
                      I'm aware of that but this doesn't change anything. Plasma was released as a stable ages ago, and KDE5 it is not in Arch official repo- at least not completely.
                      It was released as "stable", but the developers have explicitly said they don't want end users running it except for testing purposes. So keeping it in AUR seems about right, to be honest.

I'd look for KDE5 to start being used more in the Spring, and for most distros to finish switching over next fall.

Comment

Working...
                      X