• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

who cares?

chrome os is a OS for kids and stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
      I'm waiting for Google to drop Chrome for Linux.
      If you think back to when Google first released Chrome, it was exclusively for Windows for quite a while. Yes there's chromium but Google's disingenuous public statements regarding Chrome that Linux support wasn't a priority did sting a bit. That was even more notable since Mozilla and (at that time) Opera, both having much smaller development resources available, were releasing and actively supporting their own browsers for Linux, OS X, and Windows.

Comment

To me, this was terrifying news.

But it's a wake up call: the fact is that the GPL is not enough. The modular nature of Linux has allowed Google to tailor it to their own quality requirements.

The problem with the GPL is that it's only about code. But we, the FOSS world, have no realy way to enforce protocols and standards. And this makes us extremely vulnerable.

Comment

I think google needs it

"not enough manpower" and "statistics says noone needs it" sounds like political reasons.

Comment

Best fix is to treat Chromebooks as bare hardware for your favorite distro

From where I stand, this is just another reason why I would never use Chrome OS as installed but rather treat a Chromebook as a bare metal laptop sold free of the "windows tax." As far as I have heard they all remain ready to accept vanilla coreboot instead of Google's hacked version, then your favorite distro over it with no more need to boot in "developer mode" and wait 30 seconds.

Chrome OS could be hacked easily enough to support Linux formatted flash drives, by installing any other file manager such as caja, pcmanfm, Thunar, etc. Trouble is, that still leaves you with a vendor installed OS that can't be trusted not to phone home. It matters not the nature of such a distro, I would not trust my own OS if preinstalled by someone I did not also trust, as I would have no way to audit every last binary to ensure nothing had been added to it.

I never use cloud apps even on the weakest netbooks for privacy reasons, and I don't have the bandwidth at home to set up a remotely-accessable video editing station usable via ssh login with X forwarding. Such a concept would allow running kdenlive remotely from a tiny netbook, but would require the ability to move about 1 GB/minute in files over the network, I don't have anywhere near that kind of access and worst of all would need it on both ends. As for editing photos or audio, netbook and presumably Chromebooks as well have enough CPU power to do that locally. Hell a tablet probably has enough CPU to run GIMP and Audacity, I've usefully run those on Pentium II and even Pentium class machines.

Comment

I have noticed a similar strange thing on my android-based samsung smart TV that can take FAT formatted usb sticks but not ext4 ones.

In fact, I was hoping that the industry would move in the opposite direction - for example if Samsung made a F2FS driver for Windows and OSX and then shipped all its cameras,phones etc with f2fs instead of exfat.

Comment

I use Crome OS

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                chrome os is a OS for kids and stupid people
                Stupid people wouldn't be mad about lack of support for a filesystem

Comment

From Murphy's Law:
                  Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.

If they don't revert this decision soon, the ChromeOS user demographic is going see a marked shift towards the dumb end of the spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    The operating system that got 21% of the US laptop market last year
                    Source?

Comment

They'll reconsider maybe, see #101: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...id=315401#c101

Comment

Working...
                      X