Closed source to opensource

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raonlinux View Post
    Maybe this tool that is used on eclipse was closed source, I believe but after google donate to eclipse become opensource.

When Google acquired Instantiations in August 2010, everyone knew about our Java Eclipse products. Shortly after we joined, we talked about ...

It's windowbuilder.

see ya.
    like i said, company need to have decided to open their tool and continue to have a proprietary version. Some company decide only to open it, because the product is eol or the company do a bankrup

Comment

Originally posted by marccollin View Post
      community edition use Apache 2.0 licence.

IT Mill Toolkit have already used proprietary client
      Yes, but neither of them really went from closed to open source as a business model. Vaadin changed client for strictly practical reasons,I would say. Thanks for pointing out that IT Mill had closed source client, that happened before I new anything about their existence as a company. I should have checked before claiming they were always open source (although partly they were.).

Regarding intelliJ, they are not selling community edition, neither support for it. One could see it (their community edition.) as a part of their business decision, but they still earn their money with proprietary products.

Also, have to hijack this thread and mention how great Netbeans IDE is. They have come a long way from the IDE they were years ago. For my needs they offer everything Intellij has, actually a lot more, and for free. I hope I will be able to donate some nice money to the project in the feature, or better to its devs (because throwing money to the oracle doesn't really make sense IMO.).

Comment

for intelij is directly the kind of company i search to communicate...

they have a closed release and an open one... they have some people who work on the opensource... they share together......

they never give me an answer anyway.

Comment

hi

can somebody suggest me some company who started with a closed source model and decide to create a opensource version?
          i will like to ask them a couple of question for my master.

thank
          I'm wondering if contacting ESR (see http://catb.org/~esr/) would be helpful (he was involved in the release of Netscape Navigator as Mozilla).
          Before contacting him, make sure to check his FAQs/other writings; he has written quite a lot, and asking questions that have already been asked and answered is one of the big no-nos.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
            I'm wondering if contacting ESR (see http://catb.org/~esr/) would be helpful (he was involved in the release of Netscape Navigator as Mozilla).
            Before contacting him, make sure to check his FAQs/other writings; he has written quite a lot, and asking questions that have already been asked and answered is one of the big no-nos.
            problem with esr, it's don't have any impact of mozilla now

Comment

Oracle. Closed MySQL Enterprise edition and open-source MySQL Community edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Oracle. Closed MySQL Enterprise edition and open-source MySQL Community edition.
                i communicated with them but don't get any answer

Comment

Master....... degree?

for my master.

Did you mean your master degree? Is this for a thesis paper(etc), perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post

Did you mean your master degree? Is this for a thesis paper(etc), perhaps?
                    ya for my master degree.

habitually i think a thesis it's for a phd... for a memory it's a memory

Comment

Oracle regarding VirtualBox. They have an opensource and a closed source commercial edition.

Also if i do remember right Wine has also a closed source counterpart from code weavers.

Comment

Working...
                      X