Everyone Has Different Views On The "Open-Source Community"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    Okay, who's forcing Gnome then? (and, well KDE, as to my understanding they intend to depend on systemd too at some point)
    Jedi mind trick. They are truly diabolical.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Understood, but Lennart didn't make that decision, did he ? If not, why the hate for him rather than, say, the Gnome folks ?
      There's no such thing as "Gnome folks" anymore. Gnome belongs to Red Hat now. Just like systemd. So I don't blame Lennart, I blame Red Hat.

Comment

Originally posted by erendorn View Post
        Okay, who's forcing Gnome then? (and, well KDE, as to my understanding they intend to depend on systemd too at some point)
        Who owns systemd? Who owns Gnome? No, it couldn't possibly be

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
          There's no such thing as "Gnome folks" anymore. Gnome belongs to Red Hat now. Just like systemd. So I don't blame Lennart, I blame Red Hat.
          What are you pulling stuff out of thin air?

Gnome is Cannonical.
          SystemD is independent.

Comment

Oops Gnome is also independent. It gets support from Red Hat but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              Oops Gnome is also independent. It gets support from Red Hat but that's it.
              You need to distinguish between de jure and de facto. And since your "support" is actually life support, Gnome pretty much belongs to Red Hat for all practical purposes.

Gnome's dependency on systemd wasn't something that was warranted by the internal design. It was - along with shitty new look&feel and overall functionality loss - the cost of being taken under Red Hat's wing.
              Last edited by prodigy_; 08 October 2014, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                I personally like Michael's inclusion of a 'slaughterhouse' picture in his article. Nice touch, mate!
                It's actually a normal meat market (not a slaughterhouse per se) albeit definitely the oddest I've ever been to at a bazaar in southern Russia...

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                And what are you'se drinking in that last pic? Found any local micro-brew's in your new state yet?
                I don't remember; the pic is from LinuxTag a few years back. 3Floyds is my favorite Indiana beer.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                  You need to distinguish between de jure and de facto. And since your "support" is actually life support, Gnome pretty much belongs to Red Hat for all practical purposes.

Gnome's dependency on systemd wasn't something that was warranted by the internal design. It was - along with shitty new look&feel and overall functionality loss - the cost of being taken under Red Hat's wing.
                  I guess if you look at it that way it would be true. I was only looking at legalities.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Who owns systemd? Who owns Gnome? No, it couldn't possibly be
                    Nobody, and nobody
                    And then, also KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Understood, but Lennart didn't make that decision, did he ? If not, why the hate for him rather than, say, the Gnome folks ?
                      The people who dislike Lennart typically do not use Gnome. From their perspective, they see their systems suddenly being switched to Systemd, so that is the first thing they blame. People don't like change. Lennart is also a bit of a celebrity, and in Western society a lot of people feel satisfaction seeing a celebrity knocked down a bit. The Lennart haters are the same as the Shuttleworth haters; Systemd is the new Mir. There are also a few trolls around - people who don't care about Systemd, but think it's fun to bait Lennart and watch him suffer. The blog post he wrote was possibly the worst way of dealing with that, since it will only encourage them.

Comment

Working...
                      X