Everyone Has Different Views On The "Open-Source Community"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
    Do you even understand that systemd is making life MORE DIFFICULT for us? Do you even understand that is Poettering the one doing this? Do you even see who is the one being being harmed here? Words pass, actions have consequences. By forcing everyone to use his software, HE IS, IN FACT, HARMING PART OF THE COMMUNITY. And then he cries when people get mad at him. And then his defenders cry foul against that part of the community...
    This is software, you don't need to make everything dependent on your piece of software. If you do, you are doing it on purpose.
    That post summarizes what is wrong with a tiny minority spending their time whining and thinking their entitlement of decision while doing nothing to contribute to the whole FOSS ecosystem. They stay silent when asking to provide a better solution, deliberately ignore the available documentation right in front of their eyes and constantly blinding posts without examining themselves.
    That case not only apply in FOSS but also elsewhere as if it is some kind of psychological problem.

Comment

Do you even understand that systemd is making life MORE DIFFICULT for us?
      Life is difficult for you because nobody want to develop for the systemd hater crowd. You just love attacking opens source developers, upstream projects like Gnome, and all the distros who have chosen systemd, so why would any developer work with destructive and negative people like the systemd haters? Again and again you attack Lennart Poettering, and again and again you fail to produce code.

By forcing everyone to use his software, HE IS, IN FACT, HARMING PART OF THE COMMUNITY. And then he cries when people get mad at him. And then his defenders cry foul against that part of the community...
      This is software, you don't need to make everything dependent on your piece of software. If you do, you are doing it on purpose.
      Nobody is forcing anybody to use systemd. You are simply making up stories for yourself, because the truth is too hard for you. Sure, you will have a dysfunctional desktop experience on your non-systemd distro in the future, but that is simply because you guys failed to produce the necessary code so that upstream DE's can support non-systemd distros.

It is entirely the systemd-hater camps own fault if they choose not to develop or maintain the necessary software for running a non-systemd distro.

Linux is all about choice, so go make your own udev instead of leeching the systemd version, and try to develop an alternative to ConsoleKit while you are at it. People have asked for this for years now, and you just keep on ignoring them.

It is you and all your fellow systemd haters that are hurting the Linux community with your unsavoury personal attacks.

Look at this way; the pro systemd people makes a great project that most people like, and they help out the upstream projects like KDE, by offering them help and develop software they can use. The pro systemd camp is making a positive contribution to the Linux community.

The systemd haters they just hate; they don't produce any code to support upstream projects, and instead of helping upstream projects, they attack them. It is all negativity and rage.

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
        just wondering, in this thread about how people have different opinions
        have you yourself, that calls out people, written anything of importance to Linux as a hole ?
        or are you just here to insult and enlighten people ?

last time i checked everybody has a right to an opinion
        do you agree with me on that one ?

and systemd IS forced, there should be no doubt in that

Comment

OK, I have to ask. Presumably end users are "forced" to use systemd because distros are adopting it. Who is "forcing" distros to use systemd ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by interested View Post
            Life is difficult for you because nobody want to develop for the systemd hater crowd. You just love attacking opens source developers, upstream projects like Gnome, and all the distros who have chosen systemd, so why would any developer work with destructive and negative people like the systemd haters? Again and again you attack Lennart Poettering, and again and again you fail to produce code.
            Oh the irony, he's the one attacking Linus himself (for no valid reason, he's just mad at him) and other Linux devs... oh, and he did when Linus said he wasn't going to be active for a while. What a coward.

Anyway, I love when systemd/poettering supporters get mad at me for showing the reality.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              OK, I have to ask. Presumably end users are "forced" to use systemd because distros are adopting it. Who is "forcing" distros to use systemd ?
              The basic argument that has been given is that by making systemd a dependency of Gnome, distributions that wanted to ship Gnome had to adopt systemd (or develop a plugin compatible alternative that does the same stuff in the same way with respect to Gnome, which is hard). Since Gnome is popular and important, distributions chose the easier route of adopting systemd. Whether or not you agree with that perspective is up to you.

Comment

I agree with Michael: Until today, I never heard of that other website. I don't think they should have been given so much attention to. Sad that Liam chose to leave it all due to rants by some trash on the internet. I hope he changes his mind and goes back to contributing to GoL.

Comment

Originally posted by belal1 View Post
                  I agree with Michael: Until today, I never heard of that other website. I don't think they should have been given so much attention to. Sad that Liam chose to leave it all due to rants by some trash on the internet. I hope he changes his mind and goes back to contributing to GoL.
                  He only took a short break from writing a few months ago. That's clearly evident if you visit the Gaming On Linux website. He's since resumed writing for the website a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    crisb stated one
                    other argument is the deprecation of some programs and the continuation of the same under systemd

ofc that are just presumptions
                    considering the big distros have to support gnome and new versions of that programs, the distros derived from them (that usually are hobby distros) have to follow
                    out of the 5 popular "source" distros (6 if counting arch) 3 of the most forked/popular ones switched to systemd (fedora, debian and suse)
                    as for arch, there was drama around that as the switch came suddenly
                    not to mention the whole debian debacle

again, those are all presumptions
                    but considering everything i wouldn't say many had a choice in all that
                    anybody is free to correct me on this (except for the systemd priest)

Comment

Oh the irony, he's the one attacking Linus himself (for no valid reason, he's just mad at him) and other Linux devs... oh, and he did when Linus said he wasn't going to be active for a while. What a coward.

Anyway, I love when systemd/poettering supporters get mad at me for showing the reality.
                      Way of distorting the context to suit your point further exposes what kind of person you really are. With that full quote:
                      Originally posted by Lennart Poettering
                      But more importantly, I'd actually put some blame on a certain circle of folks that play a major role in kernel development, and first and foremost Linus Torvalds himself. By many he is a considered a role model, but he is quite a bad one. If he posts words like "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), than that's certainly bad. But what I find particularly appalling is the fact that he regularly defends this, and advertises this as an efficient way to run a community. (But it is not just Linus, it's a certain group of people around him who use the exact same style, some of which semi-publically even phantasize about the best ways to, ... well, kill me).
                      It is all about being an good example.

Comment

Working...
                      X