Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    Lennart:

So what kind of people are Gentoo users according to Lennart?
    He has a point. I'm a Gentoo'er and I'm amazed at the amount of grief he's gotten from our community. The whole point of Gentoo is choice and it always has been from the beginning. We must be one of the few distros out there that lets you disable pulseaudio, lets you choose ffmpeg or libav, LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Gentoo is the only distro I know that lets you choose between SysV, OpenRC and systemd. Why certain individuals feel the need to bash systemd is beyond me. Don't like it? Switch to a distro that doesn't use it or use a different OS there's plenty out there

Both pulseaudio and systemd have made my life personally easier. I'm looking forward to the day that systemd is the Linux standard across all major distros. Its bad enough having to deal with multiple Unixes at work without also having to deal with multiple distros doing the same thing different ways

As for the people who think too many utilities are being moved into systemd - go check how many binaries are in coreutils - you need a lot of things to make a whole system

Lennart also mentions the white, straight, middle aged male stereotype in his post which wasn't picked up on in this article. You only have to read the comments on the threads where measures are being taken to fix this imbalance to realise there's a massive problem here in the community. Equality isn't about treating everyone the same but recognising that individual needs are met in different ways. Promoting Equality and Diversity is about recognising and valuing difference. It's proven that businesses do better when they have a diverse pool of talented people to draw upon

Lastly on the subject of Linus - he ought to be setting an example to the programmers that he works with and especially to the next generation of programmers who look up to him as a rolemodel. The language he uses would be unacceptable in any other industry. A good working environment encourages and nurtures better programmers

Comment

The Internet is full of assholes. You, me and everybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
        Without Lennart, we would have a crappy sound system where any proc can own the card, and a crappy shell based broken init system that starts/stops slow, broken and fragmented.

Thank you, Lennart!
        Please don?t get offended by the lazy server support bearded grey mass, that only cares about own ego and laziness;
        and switches personality 180 in direction of not only breaking, but full proprietary when paid;
        and whose only vision of Linux is to be as much compatible as possible to run some proprietary mumbo jumbo on different kernels. For free.

Don?t get offended by Linus, just answer these people in same manner as Linus to Nvidia!!

So, Lennart haters - Fuck You!
        whats funny is systemd is alike copy of launchd and one of the main developers of systemd is a Arch Linux developer

Comment

I hope the Bundesnachrichtendienst and FBI hunts down the assbag who put up the hit even if it was just a joke you fucking terrorist

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Promoting Equality and Diversity is about recognising and valuing difference. It's proven that businesses do better when they have a diverse pool of talented people to draw upon
            No it hasn't and that's all bullshit.

You get 20 people in a room with 20 different opinions and nothing gets done.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
              Are you saying if somebody does a technically incorrect thing, you are supposed to wonder why they did not die as babies? Since when did this become an acceptable thing?
              Are you saying that if somebody makes a joke, you are supposed to interpret it as a literal statement? And berate the person who made the joke for the rest of their life? It is October 2014, and people still think it is an acceptable thing to attack Linus over one throwaway joke that he made in July 2012? It was a joke - funny or not - but it obviously was not meant as a literal statement, and it is bizarre that there are people out there who interpreted it as a literal statement in the first place.

Joke or literal statement?!

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                No it hasn't and that's all bullshit.

You get 20 people in a room with 20 different opinions and nothing gets done.
                With that mindset you're probably right

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  It seems that the *less* you charge for your products, the bigger bunch of **** you get as customers.
                  There's definitely something to that.

It's kind of like the more you spend on something, the more deeply invested you are in that having been a good decision, and not a stupid mistake on your part. You therefore tend to think what you bought was good. While people getting software for free almost seem to think they are doing you a favor for using your software, and that you are obligated to solve all their problems.

Well, that, and by charging something you get rid of the massive leach userbase that does nothing but sit in their basements all day long and whine on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisb View Post
                    Are you saying that if somebody makes a joke, you are supposed to interpret it as a literal statement?
                    I don't think one should hide behind "it was just a joke" excuse after such a over the top response especially coming from Linus in a public mailing list. He is in position of authority and his actions and tone gets emulated in LKML quite often. It makes the entire atmosphere rather poisonous. This has been an ongoing topic even in the kernel summit for a number of years and for good reason. I recommend reading these two:

Comment

If Linus wants to reduce foolishness among the developers he has to deal with, I see no problem at all with him humorously roasting people when they do something foolish. Either the whiners and cry-babies will run away and stop bothering him, or the wise ones will endeavor to not do foolish things in the future. Either way, it reduces the foolishness that Linus has to deal with. Well done, Linus!

Comment

Working...
                      X