Lennart Poettering On The Open-Source Community: A Sick Place To Be In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by balouba View Post
    But swearing when you're unhappy is a VERY FAR CRY from hiring a hitman. What Lennart is doing is blaming Linus for people hiring hitmans. Thats very, very far fetched.
    You are stretching quite a bit causal links. Torvalds is to be blamed because for him violence, in a contextually narrow definition, is a normal way to work. So morons see Torvalds and think a) violence is good, contextually used or not, and b) violence, including hiring hitmen, is a valid procedure to solve problems.

I always ask myself, what would happen if Bill Gates decided to hire a company of hitmen to kill the 3.000 or so open source leader developers in the world. Open source and Linux would be dead, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Alliancemd View Post
      Some people just can't keep up with the evolving/changing world and they hate that Lennart brings up these software. If it were like they want it to be, we would of still got fire from thunderbolts...
      Yes, of course, it's not because systemd is becoming increasingly bloated and hard to remove due to hooks into many different projects, but because Users Hate Change!

It's this kind of attitude that causes much of the resentment of systemd. Personally, I'm undecided as to whether it's a good idea, but the more I see supporters making 'Users Hate Change!' arguments rather than discussing the real technical merits, if any, the more likely I am to decide it's a bad one. 'Users Hate Change!' has been the battle cry of supporters of so many stupid ideas over the last few years, most obviously Windows 8 and Gnome 3.

Comment

Without Lennart, we would have a crappy sound system where any proc can own the card, and a crappy shell based broken init system that starts/stops slow, broken and fragmented.

Thank you, Lennart!
        Please don?t get offended by the lazy server support bearded grey mass, that only cares about own ego and laziness;
        and switches personality 180 in direction of not only breaking, but full proprietary when paid;
        and whose only vision of Linux is to be as much compatible as possible to run some proprietary mumbo jumbo on different kernels. For free.

Don?t get offended by Linus, just answer these people in same manner as Linus to Nvidia!!

So, Lennart haters - Fuck You!

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
          Yes, of course, it's not because systemd is becoming increasingly bloated and hard to remove due to hooks into many different projects, but because Users Hate Change!

It's this kind of attitude that causes much of the resentment of systemd. Personally, I'm undecided as to whether it's a good idea, but the more I see supporters making 'Users Hate Change!' arguments rather than discussing the real technical merits, if any, the more likely I am to decide it's a bad one. 'Users Hate Change!' has been the battle cry of supporters of so many stupid ideas over the last few years, most obviously Windows 8 and Gnome 3.
          You are twisting words quite a bit. Poettering isn't saying "User's Hate Change". He's saying he's getting death threats, people are raising money to kill him, posting about the best ways to kill him, etc... Pretty horrendous behavior.

Comment

Lennart:
            .. communities that attract a certain kind of people (Hey, Gentoo!)
            So what kind of people are Gentoo users according to Lennart?

Comment

1 byte at a time

" "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), than that's certainly bad."

Please don't quote Linus out of context. Someone was reading one byte at a time with syscalls, so what do you think was going to happen ?

Comment

Originally posted by lethal View Post
                " "[specific folks] ...should be retroactively aborted. Who the f*ck does idiotic things like that? How did they not die as babies, considering that they were likely too stupid to find a tit to suck on?" (google for it), than that's certainly bad."

Please don't quote Linus out of context. Someone was reading one byte at a time with syscalls, so what do you think was going to happen ?
                Are you saying if somebody does a technically incorrect thing, you are supposed to wonder why they did not die as babies? Since when did this become an acceptable thing?

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                  Without Lennart, we would have a crappy sound system where any proc can own the card, and a crappy shell based broken init system that starts/stops slow, broken and fragmented.

Thank you, Lennart!
                  Please don?t get offended by the lazy server support bearded grey mass, that only cares about own ego and laziness;
                  and switches personality 180 in direction of not only breaking, but full proprietary when paid;
                  and whose only vision of Linux is to be as much compatible as possible to run some proprietary mumbo jumbo on different kernels. For free.

Don?t get offended by Linus, just answer these people in same manner as Linus to Nvidia!!

So, Lennart haters - Fuck You!
                  DITTO. Every person with 2 or more soundcards must hate ALSA and love PulseAudio, plain and simple.

Comment

just to point out the irony

from https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/inits...nRC_vs_Systemd

"I have decided to not write anything in this section, considering the aggressive tone I'm getting in return, which is all but fun. "

while from Lennart

"Currently, the systemd community is fantastic, and I really hope we can keep it that way."

@oleid and the other one
                    that Wolfgang guy does know what hes talking about
                    for example; there is no reason to start the network manager or audio server for a desktop manager
                    (dota2... uses aplay to play the ready sound, and then aplay EXITS, pam pam paaaaaam (drama))
                    just because Lennart does not know of a better way does not mean everybody else who does are wrong...
                    thats all from me on that subject

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
                      DITTO. Every person with 2 or more soundcards must hate ALSA and love PulseAudio, plain and simple.
                      i have 2 sound cards, alsa and no problems...

Comment

Working...
                      X