This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Debian with a vision for the future, unlike the direction-less yetanotherdistros that offer absolutely nothing of value over any other distro.
    The problem is that they left the 'Debian with a vision for the future' and just outright forked it. I used to be all pro-Ubunut until it became a randomly unstable pile, and they started doing more than their initial goal (which was pretty basic, and being Debian, with 6 month release cycles for the new Gnome).

I wouldn't say Debian is direction-less. In fact they probably have the greatest goals, all very well defined. "The Universal Operating System." So you can mold it into what you need it for. I'd say it's the only one that has as many derivitaves, all more or less purposed for their own thing, not to mention packaging things like DNA sequencing software, and software for managing medical/dental records etc.

So yeah, I'd say their goals are well defined and they do a great job about it.

Ubuntu should have stuck more with upstream, instead of going with Unity / Mir. But whatever, to each their own. I still try out Ubuntu every other release or so... then end up going back to Debian Testing, which always seems to be more stable, even though I keep it all up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by bison View Post
      Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
      Jump to 37:15 http://youtu.be/_xXtVX56rz0?t=37m15s

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
        The problem is that they left the 'Debian with a vision for the future' and just outright forked it. I used to be all pro-Ubunut until it became a randomly unstable pile, and they started doing more than their initial goal (which was pretty basic, and being Debian, with 6 month release cycles for the new Gnome).

I wouldn't say Debian is direction-less. In fact they probably have the greatest goals, all very well defined. "The Universal Operating System." So you can mold it into what you need it for. I'd say it's the only one that has as many derivitaves, all more or less purposed for their own thing, not to mention packaging things like DNA sequencing software, and software for managing medical/dental records etc.

So yeah, I'd say their goals are well defined and they do a great job about it.

Ubuntu should have stuck more with upstream, instead of going with Unity / Mir. But whatever, to each their own. I still try out Ubuntu every other release or so... then end up going back to Debian Testing, which always seems to be more stable, even though I keep it all up to date.
        Debian doesn't have a vision for anything other then being compiled for every platform under the sun. Theres no direction about what needs to be done to make it a system that is more attractive to people that aren't already versed in Linux.

It's like Windows Server back when it had PowerPC and Itanium builds, only with 10x more builds.

Comment

Originally posted by NothingMuchHereToSay View Post
          There's one problem with Windows on tablets though.. They ditched the Modern UI for the Modern Start menu. So.. Microsoft's doing a complete 180 on its tablet interface.
          Indications are the BOTH interfaces are available. Which is what they should have done from the beginning. At the end of the day, the only difference is what version of explorer.exe you are running...

And how exactly DOES the x86 tablet function under Windows? Does it have heating problems? Do people expect to run super high end photoshop or Office products on those things? From what I know, MS already failed on the ARM tablet, while it's only a matter of time before Intel actually gets their shit together with their godawful Atom processors that run barely equivalent to ARM chips, I'm not holding my breath because Intel just cannot go beyond laptops and some tablets at all.
          The primary reason WinRT bombed is lack of software, when the key feature of Windows is software compatibility.

As far as I know, x86 phones are nonexistent because of how small the phone's form factor is. Microsoft WILL still fail in the "convergent phone" business, all because of x86. Microsoft has legacy programs that people have expectations to run as soon as they see the words "Microsoft" and "Windows" on a phone. They will assume their expectation that "Oh, I can do anything I want with Windows on a phone!" or something like that, which in the case of an Atom x86 processor on a phone, it will either overheat or fail to meet the expectations and run like a Pentium 3 with a fully updated (bloated) Windows XP.
          First off, X86 does not automatically imply Windows. The main problem is while competitive in performance, Atom is more power hungry (less battery life), and X86 tablets/phones almost universally ran Windows in a very gimped form (2GB RAM? Half the HDD taken by the OS? Etc)

Ubuntu, has the advantage of being FOSS, ported over to ARM and other architectures, AND the best part is that people have NO expectations because they've never heard of "Ubuntu" or "Canonical". This also corelates to why Canonical only chose two hardware partners obscure from the USA and the mainstream audience in general. The risk takers and enthusiasts will try Ubuntu out, see what it's like, and honestly I have high hopes for Ubuntu.
          People do have expectations: That it will work. And frankly, there isn't any need for more then one Linux based OS, and Android is it.

Comment

Vista = 6.0
            7 = 6.1
            8 = 6.2
            8.1 = 6.3

All have been shit.
            If you go by NT Kernel versions, then yes.

Vista, if you had the hardware requirements to run it well, wasn't that bad aside from the overboard UAC. Seven was great; first time I had a Windows OS that I never totally destroyed within a few years. Very stable, and relatively quick. 8 would have been fine if not for the shoving of the Metro UI down everyones throats.

Comment

This is the bit people are referring to;

Spinal Tap's Nigel Tufnel explains how his band's amplifiers go to eleven, "When you need that extra push over the cliff..."

I mentioned the bit about icons you don't click on based on what happens during this scene (though I couldn't find a good quality clip of it) where he points out the guitar that he never plays.

Comment

If the feedback tool in the preview leads to meaningful change, this could be the best Windows release to date

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                  Vista, if you had the hardware requirements to run it well, wasn't that bad aside from the overboard UAC.
                  Vista was a nightmare! Even in current hardware is a disaster which becomes slower and slower day after day. I love it though because it gave me a lot of money from the guys who brought me their computers to ditch it with XP or 7 later
                  8 would have been fine if not for the shoving of the Metro UI down everyones throats.
                  Hypothetically maybe. But it is windows 8 as it is. A second disaster after Vista which I love it as well for the same reason.
                  Seven was great; first time I had a Windows OS that I never totally destroyed within a few years. Very stable, and relatively quick.
                  Nothing special. The logical evolution of XP after 8 whole years!!! Too little, too late in other words. Not even close to make me ditch my Linux for it.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    Ugh, this is not great news for free software.

I was really hoping Ubuntu would be the first to achieve true convergence, but obviously most users and enterprises will prefer Windows if it's already available.

I think the community wasted effort to get eveything working on ARM. But, we really underestimated what Intel would do with the Atom platform. You can get 7" quad-core x86 tablets for $99 that run true Windows 8.1 right now. Connect them to a keyboard/monitor, and you get a perfectly decent computing experience. That's a killer feature for many users and enterprises: more productivity for less money.

And x86 phones are also OK -- there's not a lot of variety right now only because x86 Android isn't a good desktop experience. But a phone running real Windows 10 with a convergent experience? I hate to say it, but even I would find that so much more useful than our current mobile devices, and I do everything with free software. But convergence is simply a game changer.

There are still no Ubuntu Touch devices out, and when they do come out in the next few months, they will not yet have convergence.

Have we missed this train? Please someone here post something to encourage me.
                    If Windows 10 will come in late 2015 them probably the first to achieve "true convergence" will be KDE. With KDE SC 4 it wasn't easy to switch between regular Plasma and Plasma Active, but with Plasma 5 this last issue should go away. Tough I'm not sure Plasma Active is ready for phones yet, at least initially it only targeted tablets. Too bad you won't find it preinstalled on any devices.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
                      First off, X86 does not automatically imply Windows. The main problem is while competitive in performance, Atom is more power hungry (less battery life), and X86 tablets/phones almost universally ran Windows in a very gimped form (2GB RAM? Half the HDD taken by the OS? Etc)
                      Eh? My OakTrail tablet, when fully charged, can take 10 hours of office work. Yes, the SSD is fairly small and it's not very fast, but it's enough. I even fit a dual boot between Windows 7 and Gentoo Linux there. It even runs programs meant for performant servers, like QGIS, just fine (certainly a longer wait, but by no means unbearable). And it's already four years old!

Still, desktops are not going anywhere. You can't plug in a phone into a dock an expect to be able to play Unreal Tournament 4 on it...

Comment

Working...
                      X