No announcement yet.

AMD Wants To Know What's Wrong With Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on the Linux front, I'm baffled that anyone would purposefully buy an AMD card for use with proprietary drivers. If you're going down that route, you'd be silly not to buy Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
      on the Linux front, I'm baffled that anyone would purposefully buy an AMD card for use with proprietary drivers. If you're going down that route, you'd be silly not to buy Nvidia.
      Not necessarily. AMD has at least a nice open source driver which already works well for a number of games and, moreovrer, which is improving steadily. I see the Catalyst driver as an interim fix which I hope to eventually get rid off. This means AMD hardware will be usable in the wayland/mir world as well. Nvidia is a no-go zone in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
        It does not (at least in my case - when I try to run it with the open source driver all I get is an error msg saying it could not determine opengl version or something like that).
        Give us more info: What distro? What does
        Code:
        $ glxinfo | egrep 'render|OpenGL'
        show?
        Did you try this? https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=71239#c5 (replace 3.2 with 3.3)

Comment

Guys who waited to see more news about open source kernel driver in Catalyst might want to check THIS POST.
          I'm really excited that it's finally happen!

Comment

It'd probably be easier for AMD to ask 'what's right about their catalyst driver'...

Comment

For Linux, it's just not open source. Seriously.

For Windows, it's really Nvidia fanboys. I've not had problems with Catalyst in Windows. Any problems with a game is quickly patched, and oddly enough any problems with a game they get also Nvidia gets, but they patch pretty quickly as well.

Comment

Suspend/Resume does not reset GPU fan profile. My card runs in full reverse cleanout mode after resume.

Make the drivers kernel independent and finish the hybrid model. (Yes this probably means pissing on Linus wheaties, tough shit)
                Open source everything with documentation and tools.
                Set up bug bounties.
                Divert attention to Mantle on Linux.
                Put more resources into driver development.

Comment

Well drivers are fine for me, cannot complain much about anything but these days i am only interested in APU line of products - that satisfied my needs . Basically that is it, when i see dedicated cards i have nearly zero interests

People will always complain of course but if it is bug, fix the bug sooner better then later and you are fine

Comment

It's too late.

They should make vdpau video acceleration work like the opensource driver does.

Basically nothing (besides the Level 5.1 with 16 Reframes support, that we found out by using a hex editor) has changed since here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...vba_xbmc&num=1
                    Video decoding support via the xvba-va-driver to use vaapi is still a nightmare. The last official release is more than 3 years old and misses important fixes, which are manually packaged by e.g. Arch.

In that times we had even implemented xvba support in ffmpeg as hwaccel, but cause of constant _no_support_ and missing sdk updates, we just dropped that code into the wastebin. Amd closed source department has failed hard back at this time.

I won't miss Catalyst at all. Working with the radeon OSS devs is a pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
                      For Windows, it's really Nvidia fanboys. I've not had problems with Catalyst in Windows. Any problems with a game is quickly patched, and oddly enough any problems with a game they get also Nvidia gets, but they patch pretty quickly as well.
                      Their mainline driver on Windows is fine, but there is two other serious issues:
                      1. First of all their mobility driver installers do not work. They fail to update drivers most of time.
                      2. There also few laptop configurations where AMD do not provide drivers at all: HD4XXX+5XXX/6XXX
                      3. Other problem it's fact that Legacy driver is extremely laggy and crash often on OpenGL applications
                      4. And also legacy installer can't install drivers with OpenGL on WIndows 8 / 8.1

Though on Windows desktop I didn't have any issues with AMD drivers whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                      X