Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uselessd: A Stripped Down Version Of Systemd

Phoronix: Uselessd: A Stripped Down Version Of Systemd

The boycotting of systemd has led to the creation of uselessd, a new init daemon based off systemd that tries to strip out the "unnecessary" features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is getting ridiculous. It's worthless debating with *nix luddites that can't do anything but whine and whine and whine and whine.

Comment

I don't mind this so much. They don't like systemd in its current state so they modify it and present it as a better alternative. Nothing wrong with that... it's actually quite productive and reasonable.

Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
        I don't mind this so much. They don't like systemd in its current state so they modify it and present it as a better alternative. Nothing wrong with that... it's actually quite productive and reasonable.

Good work.
        Support for compilation under musl and uClibc.
        This actually makes it non-productive and fixated on some obscure distros.

Comment

I guess they finally got the hint that Systemd developers weren't going to suddenly stop what they've been working on and revert to working on all the outdated software.

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post

Good work.
            I agree with this wholeheartedly.

And I'm saying that as someone who actually likes systemd. If it doesn't work for you, make an alternative instead of just bitching (like most of the community is doing).

Comment

Originally posted by Scimmia View Post
              I agree with this wholeheartedly.

And I'm saying that as someone who actually likes systemd. If it doesn't work for you, make an alternative instead of just bitching (like most of the community is doing).
              Then maybe name it something else, not "uselessd"?

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
                Then maybe name it something else, not "uselessd"?
                Looking at the main project page, I think the project name is supposed to be pronounced "use less" as in "The init should use less resources". I guess it's supposed to be cute.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                  Looking at the main project page, I think the project name is supposed to be pronounced "use less" as in "The init should use less resources". I guess it's supposed to be cute.
                  I admit to not having looked at their website ("the boycotting of systemd..." led me to think it was some kind of trolling).
                  But on second though, as a systemd user I find it an interesting project.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                    I think the project name is supposed to be pronounced "use less" as in "The init should use less resources".
                    Which is yet to be proven, by the way. Removing features from systemd to slim it down is not going to help much if you require a separate syslogd, crond and everything else. It'll give the user more choices, sure, but that's not about resource usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X