No announcement yet.

Uselessd: A Stripped Down Version Of Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want my Gnome, so uselessD is completely useless for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      I want my Gnome, so uselessD is completely useless for me.
      I supposed eventually someone will try to implement a logind replacement too. Although I suspect the task is much trickier than one may suspect at first glance.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundance View Post
        I supposed eventually someone will try to implement a logind replacement too. Although I suspect the task is much trickier than one may suspect at first glance.
        The entire project falls into that category, which is why I don't have much confidence in it - it's a huge and difficult task, with just one person working on it. He's not going to achieve much unless he can both convince a lot of other people to help out, and provide the leadership to coordinate those people and keep things focused. Especially the latter, because if ever a project was a candidate for a bunch of developers fighting over differing motivations, it's this one...

Comment

launchd

Originally posted by Filiprino View Post
          ... mimic Apple's Launchd, ...
          Why mimic launchd and not port launchd?

Comment

Originally posted by halo9en View Post
            This is getting ridiculous. It's worthless debating with *nix luddites that can't do anything but whine and whine and whine and whine.
            I agree. Linux is evolving from being simply a UNIX clone (or simply a kernel) into an operating system in its own right.

However, as a UNIX luddite myself, I am happy with sticking to UNIX but luckily there are alternatives to Linux that I suggest others explore (BSD, Solaris, AIX). Good luck to Linux and perhaps everyone just needs to quit bitching in general haha.
            Last edited by kpedersen; 21 September 2014, 07:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              I agree. Linux is evolving from being simply a UNIX clone (or simply a kernel) into an operating system in its own right.

However, as a UNIX luddite myself, I am happy with sticking to UNIX but luckily there are alternatives to Linux that I suggest others explore (BSD, Solaris, AIX). Good luck to Linux and perhaps everyone just needs to quit bitching in general haha.
              Agreed, the people being so up in arms about systemd soon being at the core of EVERY major linux distro, can just switch to FreeBSD or similar.
              We'd have to listen to less complaining, and they'll be able to use systems without systemd.

I do think people that believe there's a future in Solaris/AIX or other propietary unix are in for a surprise. Hint: take a close look at what has happened the last 15 years.

Comment

Are you serious? For real? I am writing software that runs on Solaris, and I can tell, that there is no such retarded system. Maybe 15 years ago it was "Wooo", but now is more than "Meh". Right not I am virtually begging manegement to migrate to RHEL.

Comment

... alternatives to Linux that I suggest others explore (BSD, Solaris, AIX). ...
                  Solaris and AIX are closed source. So they are at least for some people no alternatives.
                  (Yes, I know, there are open source versions of Solaris)

Comment

Originally posted by pininety View Post
                    This is that they wanted to do at the start but after looking into it they found that the concept behind Upstart was broken. They even talk about this in their talks and explain why they think a event driven model for an init system is broken.
                    Please, elaborate.
                    Also, systemd IS compatibility with Sys V scripts.
                    I already know.

I care about doing stuff correct.
                    The concept behind Launchd and Systemd is broken, they do not do only one thing. They try to do multiple things and become a single point of failure. There's even more, although you can use traditional syslog it defaults to a binary logging system depending on Systemd.
                    They're monopolizing the boot sequence of the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisq View Post
                      I do think people that believe there's a future in Solaris/AIX or other propietary unix are in for a surprise. Hint: take a close look at what has happened the last 15 years.
                      Heh, true I would probably suggest BSD has the brighter future of those three. Though I am still secretly holding out for great things to happen with AIX. If this gets open-sourced along with the new OpenPower initiative I rekon OpenAIX will be an awesome toy for us geeks

Comment

Working...
                      X