Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These Stainless Steel Chilling Sticks Won't Cool What You Want

Phoronix: These Stainless Steel Chilling Sticks Won't Cool What You Want

As some other cooling hardware coverage this weekend besides the Scythe Mugen MAX CPU heatsink review is a look at two stainless steel chilling sticks that promise to be handy, but in reality come up short...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the better trick for fastly cooling beer is to wrap it in a wet tissue and put it in the freezer ... takes 5 to 10 minutes. Also works without the tissue but seems to take considerably longer time from my experiments.
    Last edited by YoungManKlaus; 14 September 2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
      the better trick for fastly cooling beer is to wrap it in a wet tissue and put it in the freezer ... takes 5 to 10 minutes. Also works without the tissue but seems to take considerably longer time from my experiments.
      Yeah I've heard the wet towel idea works great, been meaning to try it.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Every "gadget" related to wine or beer (be it aerators, cooling etc) seems to be bullshit.

Just put your beers in the freezer for a while. And don't drink quality beer cold. Low temps kill half the flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
          Hmmm... have to try that sometime, but personally I think that icewater baths still win out... should be generally better heat transfer between icewater & BEER!

Comment

I just pick an ice pack and wrap it around the bottle.
            Works even better for beer cans.

Comment

Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
              Hmmm... have to try that sometime, but personally I think that icewater baths still win out... should be generally better heat transfer between icewater & BEER!
              It seems to be generally accepted that adding some salt to the icewater results in an even faster chill.
              Test signature

Comment

There are many great inventions, here's another one, unfortunately it's patented.

Comment

Beer temps

If you're drinking serious beer (and not the typical mass-market US/UK/AUS/JN swill) you'll want it cooled to somewhere around 14-16c. Any cooler and it kills the bouquet and dulls the flavor of the component parts.

Of course, if you're drinking the typical mass-market US/UK/AUS/JN swil, you want it chilled as far down as possible to kill the bouquet and dull the flavor of the component parts (and formaldehydes).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    There are many great inventions, here's another one, unfortunately it's patented.
                    Patent expired in 2005 due to failure to pay maintenance fee.

An amusement apparatus including a user-operated and controlled apparatus for self-infliction of repetitive blows to the user's buttocks by a plurality of elongated arms bearing flexible extensions that rotate under the user's control. The apparatus includes a platform foldable at a mid-section, having first post and second upstanding posts detachably mounted thereon. The first post is provided with a crank positioned at a height thereon which requires the user to bend forward toward the first post while grasping the crank with both hands, to prominently present his buttocks toward the second post. The second post is provided with a plurality of rotating arms detachably mounted thereon, with a central axis of the rotating arms positioned at a height generally level with the user's buttocks. The elongated arms are propelled by the user's movement of the crank, which is operatively connected by a drive train to the central axis of the rotating arms. As the user rotates the crank, the user's buttocks are paddled by flexible shoes located on each outboard end of the elongated arms to provide amusement to the user and viewers of the paddling. The amusement apparatus is foldable into a self-contained package for storage or shipping.

Comment

Working...
                    X