Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These Stainless Steel Chilling Sticks Won't Cool What You Want

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • These Stainless Steel Chilling Sticks Won't Cool What You Want

    Phoronix: These Stainless Steel Chilling Sticks Won't Cool What You Want

    As some other cooling hardware coverage this weekend besides the Scythe Mugen MAX CPU heatsink review is a look at two stainless steel chilling sticks that promise to be handy, but in reality come up short...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4Nzg

  • #2
    the better trick for fastly cooling beer is to wrap it in a wet tissue and put it in the freezer ... takes 5 to 10 minutes. Also works without the tissue but seems to take considerably longer time from my experiments.
    Last edited by YoungManKlaus; 14 September 2014, 10:43 AM. Reason: grammar

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
      the better trick for fastly cooling beer is to wrap it in a wet tissue and put it in the freezer ... takes 5 to 10 minutes. Also works without the tissue but seems to take considerably longer time from my experiments.
      Yeah I've heard the wet towel idea works great, been meaning to try it.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Every "gadget" related to wine or beer (be it aerators, cooling etc) seems to be bullshit.

        Just put your beers in the freezer for a while. And don't drink quality beer cold. Low temps kill half the flavor.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
          the better trick for fastly cooling beer is to wrap it in a wet tissue and put it in the freezer ... takes 5 to 10 minutes. Also works without the tissue but seems to take considerably longer time from my experiments.
          Hmmm... have to try that sometime, but personally I think that icewater baths still win out... should be generally better heat transfer between icewater & BEER!

          Comment


          • #6
            I just pick an ice pack and wrap it around the bottle.
            Works even better for beer cans.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cutterjohn View Post
              Hmmm... have to try that sometime, but personally I think that icewater baths still win out... should be generally better heat transfer between icewater & BEER!
              It seems to be generally accepted that adding some salt to the icewater results in an even faster chill.
              Test signature

              Comment


              • #8
                There are many great inventions, here's another one, unfortunately it's patented.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Beer temps

                  If you're drinking serious beer (and not the typical mass-market US/UK/AUS/JN swill) you'll want it cooled to somewhere around 14-16c. Any cooler and it kills the bouquet and dulls the flavor of the component parts.

                  Of course, if you're drinking the typical mass-market US/UK/AUS/JN swil, you want it chilled as far down as possible to kill the bouquet and dull the flavor of the component parts (and formaldehydes).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                    There are many great inventions, here's another one, unfortunately it's patented.
                    Patent expired in 2005 due to failure to pay maintenance fee.

                    https://encrypted.google.com/patents/US6293874

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X