FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
    A fellow wire-trick HTC owner. Yep, my old Sensation took an awful lot of pain to get fully unlocked. Before that, my Hero pained me for quite some time before getting unlocked. In contrast, my wife had her Galaxy S4 taken care of within an hour.

The whole smartphone situation is absurd in the end. AOSP+FDroid is quite enjoyable for me to use, but I really feel that AOSP-based ROMs are just kinda floundering until Google gets the next part done. I'd be happier with Tizen/Ubuntu/Debian, particularly because I don't have a clue how updates work in the Android world... am I supposed to assume that I'm safe just because I'm running 4.4.4? I don't feel particularly safe when updates have months of silence. Perhaps it's my ignorance but it doesn't smell right to me.
    4.4.4 isn't so stable that it won't change until the next dump from Google. There are updates/patches/fixes being added in all the time.... but you need to watch the GIT to see what they are and when they hit. Subjecting yourself to a 3rd party "build" (whether it be from samsung, cyanogenmod, or some random hacker you met on a forum) basically puts your trust into them to keep track of security updates.

And I'll tell you this; they really aren't watching.

Google tends to push out new builds for Nexus hardware whenever they note a significant security vulnerability. Sometimes that means an update from (for example) 4.4.4 --> 4.4.5, other times they use an even more minor identifier, like 4.4.4_2.

And then we have the issues with proprietary radio firmware...
    As I've already mentioned, that does not go away with tizen/ubuntu/whatever. This is really in the hands of the radio manufacturer, typically Qualcomm for the majority of devices.

Comment

Originally posted by zog6 View Post
      As far as I know replicant android does not function properly (i.e. all the hardware works) on any smart phone. So recommending replicant when this is the case causes more harm than good.
      You're missing the point. Some people want to be 100% open source even at the cost of some functionality. That's what FSF provides guidelines for.

You want binary blobs - it's your decision. Nobody is stopping you from using CyanogenMod (or even stock firmware for that matter).

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
        I'd be happier with Tizen/Ubuntu/Debian, particularly because I don't have a clue how updates work in the Android world... am I supposed to assume that I'm safe just because I'm running 4.4.4? I don't feel particularly safe when updates have months of silence. Perhaps it's my ignorance but it doesn't smell right to me.
        That's something Apple has over Google. When you buy an Android phone you're at the manufacturers mercy in terms of firmware updates. HTC for example has left a number of their devices behind with Gingerbread while Apple happily applies updates for their devices. Though Apple users with jailbreak will tell you that Apples updates are a nightmare to deal with. Problem with both Android and iOS is that updates are done in chunks. So if there's a major security hole in either OS you'll have a hell of a time getting an update. Unlike Windows, OSX, and Linux where small updates are given often to fix these security holes.

But of course on Android the lack of updates are mostly due to manufacturers using new Android versions as a selling point for newer phones. Which is why a lot of Android phones manufacturers went to great lengths to lock down phones.

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        Hmm?
        s-off doesn't actually get you anything appreciable compared to what the htc website gets you in their unlock.
        But yeah, doubleshot sure was a mess. Not really sure why HTC went super-lock on things. I dealt with one of those for my wife for a while, then decided it wasn't worth messing with and ditched it for a hammerhead. My personal last HTC was the first one they tried to superlock, and therefore the only one that got super-unlocked -- Vision.
        S-OFF is needed to be able to replace the kernel. Without S-OFF you have to go through a lot of crap to install new roms, and even then without the benefits of a new kernel.

I also have my HTC Vision which was a pain but I still like it. It's my backup phone but I don't know why when sometimes I feel it's better then my doubleshot.

Comment

4.4.4 isn't so stable that it won't change until the next dump from Google. There are updates/patches/fixes being added in all the time.... but you need to watch the GIT to see what they are and when they hit. Subjecting yourself to a 3rd party "build" (whether it be from samsung, cyanogenmod, or some random hacker you met on a forum) basically puts your trust into them to keep track of security updates.

And I'll tell you this; they really aren't watching.
          I assume as much - the question is how much you want to pain yourself with security - for me, my ROM works fine enough for F-Droid apps and web browsing (things like finding recipes or reading news - any serious work is done on a laptop or desktop).

Google tends to push out new builds for Nexus hardware whenever they note a significant security vulnerability. Sometimes that means an update from (for example) 4.4.4 --> 4.4.5, other times they use an even more minor identifier, like 4.4.4_2.

As I've already mentioned, that does not go away with tizen/ubuntu/whatever. This is really in the hands of the radio manufacturer, typically Qualcomm for the majority of devices.
          What is concerning me is really how the whole ecosystem is handled - it's very messy and completely anti-user. Imagine having the security, stability, and convenience of a Desktop/Laptop Debian system for your phone. You set your mirror and you get updates on a regular basis, and (if it were achievable) a fully-FOSS system as defined by the DFSG.

All in all, I basically only use my phone for owncloud calendar/contact/files sync, some basic navigation, and a fringe audio programming software project. Currently, AOSP serves me fairly well but I feel this is not sustainable, particularly as Google tries to wall up the Android sphere.

Comment

They have a new NAME for the same CPU, with a slightly boosted (but still low) clock speed. It may be 64bit, but its a weak 64bit, and only 2-core.
            They are high-quality dual core, there's no real need for quad core in smartphones currently, as long as the cores are good. 64 bit is not of much use currently, there's almost no Android phones using it either.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

John Sullivan, the Executive Director of the Free Software Foundation, has commented on Apple's much anticipated launch of the iPhone 6, Apple Pay, and the brand new product line: the Apple Watch...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc4NDU

also check: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

Last edited by MartinN; 10 September 2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Android can actually be programmed to do that....
                Pics or didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Pics or didn't happen.
                  well if you insist http://bit.ly/IqT6zt

Comment

CHOICE is about being able to rewrite the code to do what you want.
                    And do please learn a bit about what you are complaining about or you just look foolish. The so-called "android-auto" amounts to the equivalent of VNC. No google apps on your phone? Then also no google apps on your car screen.
                    I own a soft-top Wrangler. It's not designed for in-car enternaitnment When you're neck deep in mud and it starts pouring in through the door seals, the last thing you need be concerned about is that. I dont even have the cassette player anymore.

As for your intepretation of choice, you might want to visit a baker and ask for a loaf of bread. If they ask you any questions, you know what I'm talking about.

I dont code, and portability of code is YOUR choice, not mine. For me as a consumer, it's about the right tool for the job. I have a life to get on with and Android and Co. has been a minefield of privacy abuse and poorly written apps. There's the binary blob driver issue and locked hardware to consider even after going open source app's. Those closed apps want my details and use MY expensive connection to get it. Firewalls are nice. Shouldn't need them on a phone, though.
                    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                      You're missing the point. Some people want to be 100% open source even at the cost of some functionality. That's what FSF provides guidelines for.

You want binary blobs - it's your decision. Nobody is stopping you from using CyanogenMod (or even stock firmware for that matter).
                      No, the press release says "The Free Software Foundation instead encourages everyone to use the Replicant pure OSS fork of Android"
                      EVERYONE!
                      I can just imagine getting laughed out of the office in my workplace (mostly iphone but a lot of android "power users", and some blackberry, including a lot of extremely technically oriented developer types) for encouraging people to use a phone OS where the GPS, bluetooth and WIFI doesnt work!?

Comment

Working...
                      X