FSF Issues Their Rebuttal To Apple's New iPhone, Watch & Apple Pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    What the FSF is missing is that people will use FOSS software when: 1) Does the job 2) Is easy to use 3) Is polished in every possible way.

And most FOSS devs (mobile/desktop/whatever) are incapable of producing software with the above requirements.
    This is true! The vast majority of people don't consider freedom as a feature at all, while for me and a lot of the rest FOSS supporters is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
      I don't recall anyone asking the FSF if I give a rat's ass what they think? What makes them think people truly give a crap what they have to say about a commercial product they'll never develop?
      They don't have to be asked in order to provide a perspective that lots of people might have missed due to one sided reporting by others.
      They wouldn't have to if the reporting would be actual reporting instead of simply reprinting press releases.

So it is a good thing that at least one established tech entity provides much needed information.

Cheers,
      _

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
        The ones capable of those are most likely now working for Apple.
        The FOSS devs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
          Samsung though does an excellent job in allowing customers to do what they want with their phones and tablets.
          Tell that to the KNOX bootloader on my S4 which prevents not only flashing custom ROMs, but downgrading to legitimate official past version ROMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
            The vast majority of people don't consider freedom as a feature at all, while for me and a lot of the rest FOSS supporters is a way of life.
            The only thing we can do is to convince them that freedom is important. And maybe ask them to learn a bit of C++ while we're at it, so they can help with coding ;-). (self-sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              The only people who will buy their nonsense are people who think that owning Apple products still makes you look cool and Apple fanboys.
              Those two categories are everywhere, they're not exclusive to Apple. I know first hand, people who use Android because they've heard from a friend that it's FOSS (which in its shipped form, isn't so much), and of course Google fanboys.

But they're not the "only" people. There are also a so called category of people who just "get it". For Android, Linux and rest of FOSS, it's the freedom. That's why it's so hard to convince the rest of the population that it matters. For Apple, it's design and as much as freedom is a concept, a philosophy, an idea, so is design. For the FOSS crowd, it may not matter one bit, as it's just pretty looks right? But for the Apple crowd, it sits above everything. And exactly because of the difference in philosophy, those who don't get Apple, often misinterpret Apple's choices as evil. A prime example is their closed ecosystem and overly controlled platform.

I'm fortunate enough to get both. I still get amazed when I hold an iPhone in my hand. The perfection of design and manufacturing, the seamless alignment of parts that is unmatched. And the software, that's so refined, so well thought out. I could ramble on for hours, and yet I don't own an iPhone and never will. Because it's limiting and I don't know what iOS is doing in the background with my data. I run a self compiled android and I run Linux on my desktop.

Turning a blind eye on one or the other isn't optimum. We need both the freedom and the obsessive method of perfection in design and usability. Unfortunately, Steve Jobs seemed to be the only guy who got the latter. Since his departure, Apple's been on a steady downhill to irrelevancy.

Comment

That's not very unexpected at all. It's Apple still being Apple.

What the FSF is missing is that people will use FOSS software when: 1) Does the job 2) Is easy to use 3) Is polished in every possible way.

And most FOSS devs (mobile/desktop/whatever) are incapable of producing software with the above requirements.
                Uh? The applications in F-Droid are so much better than on Google Play, it's ridiculous.

Comment

One strong argument for normal users to use Linux (not the only but a strong one) is that they are more or less completly save from viruses.

So people care to not have antifeatures. Why would it be no argument to have no trojan from nsa? Thats only one aspect where free software is a one absolut nessesary part to stopp it or at least limit that.

But another thing if people would only switch to free software when they are more convinient, it would be worthless. Because u cant win on 1000 fronts always. there will be one single part one of 100 programms where a proprietary is more convinient or faster on the market. ONE proprietary software installed on your system, and its "tainted" some company has total control over your pc.

Especialy if it runs with kernel/root rights like the nvidia driver blob.

or at least it has controll over your useraccount and all your data there, how much people use a different user account and even then u are not save because this software can get root privileges easy when the nsa sells them or they produce this software and include stuff to get root privileges.

Its like u say its the politicans fault if people dont want democracy, the dictators have soemthimges better working capalism (in growth numbers) and only if they pay everybody money they can hope they come to vote for them.
                  No freedom is a own value, its a feature. Maybe u dont pay every price for getting it, but u should be willing to pay at least some smaller prices for it.

Comment

Regarding Android: I ditched all of the Google's stuff from my phone, and I use only 4 proprietary apps. Hopefully, Antox and TextSecure with websockets support will mature soon enough so I can remove Viber (and Skype from my PC). Other than this, I really miss a good, featurefull FOSS weather widget. Something that could replace WifiAnalyzer would also be a nice thing to have.

Comment

hm

most of ppl is stupid and only buy what they think is fashion, is why some companies like apple survive., personal experience ios is a garbage but it is good to engage women

Comment

Working...
                      X