This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
    I didnt notice that systemd was released under a proprietary lisense, because if that is not the case it would be free software, so your argument would not be valid.
    That is not what my comment meant. The movie is from the 1982, around the time when the idea of free software and independent processing caught on (possibly with TRON inspiring many programmers to follow that path), and showed the programmers believes in software needing to be free and independent, using people in the movie to represent programs, who were fighting against an oppressor, the single, all-controlling master control program, who had invaded all parts of the computer system and took away the other programs' freedom and independence, and absorbing them.

Of course it is easy to dismiss it all by saying that it is just bits&bytes in a box, but similar dismissive statements can be made about anything, even about people, and it never shows to be smart, but only to be ignorant of the inherent problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by sdack View Post
      Why do you have a problem with people complaining?
      Whiners who whines about that other people should work for them for free doesn't get any sympathy from me. So if you want upstream to support your non-standard init system, you are the one responsible for making it possible.

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      How about he uses the old logind? Or do you only not know for how long logind is actually a part of UNIX/Linux, but believe it is an exclusive feature of systemd?
      "logind" is part of systemd. It is a new project that has nothing to do with "login" or whatever other program you confuses it with. We are talking really basic factual knowledge here, so you are doing massive damage to your cause be being so unprepared about the technical facts.

Yeah, "logind" is an exclusive systemd feature, somewhat similar to ConsoleKit, just much more capable and advanced, since it uses systemd as PID1 features.

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      No, wait. You must be thinking systemd is going to take over the world, like Pinky & The Brain or the NAZIs used to think.
      Seriously, the pro systemd side couldn't have paid for such an excellent support you are giving them. The systemd opponent camp seems to rapidly deteriorate into a tin-foil hat, swivel eyed loony brigade without any technical clue whatsoever. So please, rant on, you are doing great work on convincing people that systemd is a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        Godwin's law.
        This is your own fault. I have given you a choice between Pinky & The Brain and the NAZIs, but you choose to respond only based on your knowledge of Internet memes and not based on what we have learned from the past. The memes even mean more to you than a good, funny cartoon. The joke is really on you, sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by interested View Post
          "logind" is part of systemd. It is a new project that has nothing to do with "login" or whatever other program you confuses it with. We are talking really basic factual knowledge here, so you are doing massive damage to your cause be being so unprepared about the technical facts.

Yeah, "logind" is an exclusive systemd feature, somewhat similar to ConsoleKit, just much more capable and advanced, since it uses systemd as PID1 features.
          logind is from the mid 80s and came with inetd. systemd has copied it as part of its compatibility to inetd.

You have just shown that you know absolutely nothing about it. Keep rowing your boat backwards. I would like to see over what rock you will be trying to get out of this.

Comment

logind is from the mid 80s and came with inetd. systemd has copied it as part of its compatibility to inetd.

You have just shown that you know absolutely nothing about it. Keep rowing your boat backwards. I would like to see over what rock you will be trying to get out of this.
            You are seriously misinformed about systemd's logind. Also, I think you confuses it with rlogind from inetd, which again that has nothing to do with systemd, and is totally unsuitable as a ConsoleKit replacement.

To sum up:
            "logind" is totally new code and is part of systemd, and replaces ConsoleKit.

"login" and "rlogind" have totally different scopes, which is why SysVinit distros can't use them as replacements for Consolekit.

You really are badly prepared when it comes to technical discussions, and you are simply fantasising when you think upstream projects like XFCE can use "login" or even more laughable, "rlogind" as replacements for "ConsoleKit" or "logind".

Comment

[snip]

Seriously, the pro systemd side couldn't have paid for such an excellent support you are giving them. The systemd opponent camp seems to rapidly deteriorate into a tin-foil hat, swivel eyed loony brigade without any technical clue whatsoever. So please, rant on, you are doing great work on convincing people that systemd is a good thing.
              Wait, so sdack is a system supporter? He really didn't come across as one.

Now I understand why everyone here is confused.

Comment

You really are badly prepared when it comes to technical discussions ...
                You missed one fact. To make it a technical discussion do you need to bring a technical argument and you have done that. You only talk about the packages it comes in and have made it about as technical as a child when it talks about the colour of cars having a technical merit.

I am a little bit disappointed. I had hoped you would actually go looking for technical details to find a way out of this. Instead did you stop rowing and decided to dig a hole for yourself. Whatever, I am having a laugh.

Keep on digging. Show me what you can find!
                Last edited by sdack; 12 September 2014, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  Wait, so sdack is a system supporter? He really didn't come across as one.
                  Indirectly. sdack is doing a fine job encouraging more use of systemd given the lack of true technical reasons against it.
                  Each time sdack tried to argue against systemd, new users will be intrigued about its features for their real world jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                    Indirectly. sdack is doing a fine job encouraging more use of systemd given the lack of true technical reasons against it.
                    Each time sdack tried to argue against systemd, new users will be intrigued about its features for their real world jobs.
                    Am I doing a fine job, yes?

You do not even know what a fine job is nor will you have ever done a fine job in your life! I wonder if you even have a real world job. You are just full of nonsense and are making me laugh.

Comment

You missed one fact. To make it a technical discussion do you need to bring a technical argument and you have done that. You only talk about the packages it comes in and have made it about as technical as a child when it talks about the colour of cars having a technical merit.

I am a little bit disappointed. I had hoped you would actually go looking for technical details to find a way out of this. Instead did you stop rowing and decided to dig a hole for yourself. Whatever, I am having a laugh.

Keep on digging. Show me what you can find!
                      Remarkable. See you around, guys and gals.

Comment

Working...
                      X