This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haters gonna hate

same like everybody bashed pulseaudio back in the days and now its pretty much the accepted standard throughout.

Comment

How is this group any different from anti-linux groups?
      This is because if you want to improve something, your criticism vectors in possible solutions - not in to calls to abadon whole project.

Internet has enough space for every trash. It would be positive if this site is banned in russian register as terroristic.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungManKlaus View Post
        same like everybody bashed pulseaudio back in the days and now its pretty much the accepted standard throughout.
        pussaudio is not accepted here.

Comment

As a personal device linux user I'm a bit confused. Boycott Systemd seems the most odd message to be broadcasting.

I've been using Linux on my two desktops for a couple of years and I've just bought a Sony Xperia Z1 compact so I now have three Linux devices. Now as I understand it the average Linux user, even a relatively tech savvy one, basically has a choice of three init systems:

1 Android Init
          2 Upstart
          And as a distant third: Systemd

So Google have pushed Android Init and Upstart, Canonical have pushed Upstart. Google have way way too much power. I hate Canonical and the way they try to force Windows 8 style GUI on us. It was Windows 8 that gave me the final push to dump Microsoft, having already abandoned C# for Scala.

So why on earth would I want to boycott Systemd which is being pushed by the good people?
          Last edited by Rich Oliver; 03 September 2014, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Even if you hate Systemd, it hardly seems a threat to Android Init. Now I can understand that for those that run servers things may be completely different. But if its their freedom as Server administrators that they feel is threatened they should make that clear. Because for the Desktop Linux user its the lack of software and decent graphics drivers that limit their freedom not the choice of init system.
            Last edited by Rich Oliver; 03 September 2014, 06:09 AM.

Comment

From the article
              BoycottSystemd.org bashes systemd for its journal files in a "complicated binary format", it being "anti Unix", it being a single point of failure, forced dependencies like udev and Dbus, its increasing complexity, and a variety of other reasons.
              These are logical fallacies and demagogy (especially that systemd is "anti Unix", just like some idiots claim(ed) Wayland is "anti Unix") that Lennart debunked many times already. What a bunch of morons, but maybe somebody's paying them to wage this demagogy against systemd? Maybe Microsoft or whoever is frightened that Linux is about to have a first-grade init system which also solves/improves a huge bunch of other things?

But most likely these are just some stubborn conservative morons.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
                It's amazing how much time people can spend on bashing something that they don't like or understand.

For me it's simple - I don't like german cars, I don't own any and I don't give a shit about them. I don't waste my life on whining on german motorization
                So, what you're trying to say is you know nothing about automobiles, or Linux right? When you learn about either you may come to find that neither is simple. Your opinion might actually have some value then too. Did you know for instance that a German invented the automobile? His name was Karl Benz of Mercedes Benz fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Frederick View Post
                  pussaudio is not accepted here.
                  I quite like Pulseaudio. Audio before it was a nightmare.

Comment

Distros makers are the most impacted by their init system choice.
                    They will deal with stability, they will deal with speed, they will deal with flexibility etc.

As a system administrator, as long as it works and I can access logs, I'm OK
                    As a basic user, I just don't care about it at all

Conclusion : I just let distros makers do their job and choose their best solution.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
                      But most likely these are just some stubborn conservative morons.
                      Eh, I strongly disagree with these guys' hysteria, but I'm somewhat glad people like this exist. Well, not people who just complain, but specifically people who are part of the decision making process in operating system distribution projects, the Linux kernel, etc. People like this keep us from embracing change for change's sake. It's good to have criticism and a certain anxiety about change. (In some cases: in this particular case, it's so silly to call for a "boycott", as if anyone is forcing anyone to use systemd here, and as if it was some terrible horrible thing that will destroy our lives.)

For example, the discussion in Debian about switching to 1) systemd or 2) Upstart or 3) doing nothing was very illuminating. We saw every single variety of opinion there, a (mostly) polite conversation, very careful examination of all the various issues and their implication, and eventually the process came to a vote (well, a few votes) and a decision was made. I was leaning on Upstart myself, but I understand the licensing concerns, and in the end I think a very reasonable decision was made. Staying with the existing mix of voodoo and witchcraft is untenable when two promising new init systems are available. The crotchety old hands actually raised some important concerns about systemd, and Debian the systemd project has definitely been listening and has already addressed some of them. There will be many more issues in the transition, for sure, but the world is not going to end, and in the long run we will have more reliable and flexible Linux-based operating systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X