This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AnIdiot
    Hahaha, either you're a complete tool or you're a troll. This is a such a childish response (wah wah why don't you do better). The irony of your post is that people already have done better, for years in fact. Take for instance Slackware, a distro which does not have systemd (uses int scripts) has the same boot time and runs incredibly fast. Why? Because none of Lennart's worthless bloated piece of shit software is installed on it by default. PulseAudio and systemd both waste resources to achieve terrible results. Not to mention Lennart's open anti-Unix philosophy (you really want this Microsoft-like man having say in your Linux distros? Really?)

In a nut shell, init scripts do just fine, if you hate that for some ungodly reason, Gentoo has OpenRC (and there's a shit ton more of alternatives). Also ALSA + PulseAudio is a disgrace to Linux and proves how much superior OSS4 is, and always will be. You people who support Lennart sicken me, he and Red Hat are just destroying Linux for their own purposes. We need to stop them, not suck their dicks and blindly defend them.
    Hilarious; Username: NotAnIdiot - 1st post in the forums, today... lolz - when i read your post, all i can think is that you are "AnIdiot".

His/her response seems much more reasonable than yours. [which is pure trolling or idiocy - take your pick!] It is true that many people who harp on Systemd - really haven't pushed any code forward to compete with it. You bring up slackware and how for years it has had the same boot time as systemd - I've used slackware - nothing impressive about it's boot time compared to Fedora or Ubuntu of the day. It's not hard to find post after post of people looking at how to speed up Slackware's boot-time... So unless, you are going to provide some stats/boot-chartss to support your claim, it just comes across as BS. This is anecdotal; but my boot time cut in half, just by migrating to systemd, on my running Archlinux install at the time [without optimizing systemd, at all... while sysvinit had been tweaked + e4rat; which also shaved off some time... but still not as fast as 'default' systemd booting]. Frankly, saying init scripts "do just fine" really doesn't mean anything, other than by your own words, you are admitting it's nothing great, in what it does. You actually make init scripts sound mediocre ~which is exactly what they are, for managing a system.... I used init scripts for years and years and i would NEVER go back to that - over using systemd.

next, you reveal your real reason for posting; lennart-hate/trolling [by bringing up PulseAudio and ranting about him]. Fact is, even the PA-hate is just laughable these days. PA works quite well, not like the old days, when it was buggy as can be. It's resource-lite, can provide fairly low-latency and has a lot of nice features... it never crashes on me, nor does anything glitchy. no drop outs, etc... [although, I tend to be a jackd user - more than i use PA - but i do use it for some things]. You claim OSS4 is so great, which is just absurdly hilarious;

- OSS4.0 didn't even support MIDI
    - OSS4 has crappy hardware support [doesn't support even close to what ALSA does, nor does it support h/w as well, is some cases.]
    - OSS4 had 'experimental support' for USB audio devices. [last i checked it could only do output, not input]. lololz

yeah, OSS4 is awesome? ~ if your a complete idiot, sure - then yeah, your are right -> it's absolutely awesome, 'AnIdiot'.

The fact is everything that you are touting as being so much better is, in reality, a bunch of outdated, old crap... just hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      So did you really just register to make a fool of yourself or are you just a fool?
      Considering how no one who responded to this thread has < 10 posts, you've shown who the real 4chan tard is here.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

A new project has been established that's trying to boycott systemd and the Linux distributions utilizing systemd...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3OTM
        For what it is worth, the characterization of systemd is partially inaccurate. While it dramatically increaees the code in PID 1, the total amount of code that it places there is small in comparison to the code it installs elsewhere. It also did not take device management away from the kernel. In-kernel device management never really took off on Linux. As for what systemd is trying to be, it is an attempt to merge as many core services as it can into one tree. The rest of the critique probably could be better written, but it is somewhat accurate. The thing to keep in mind is that systemd is a Redhat project and therefore only cares about others as much as it helps Redhat. Dealing with things that do not matter to Redhat like other libcs and older kernels is beyond the scope of the project.

Comment

huh. That's weird. Seems to be working for me.

*Shrugs and goes back to using systemd based Gentoo.*

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Considering how no one who responded to this thread has < 10 posts, you've shown who the real 4chan tard is here.
            lolz. No, you should look back - he is referring to "NotAnIdiot" who, yes, 1st today to hate on Lennart, redhat, systemd,etc and talk about the glory of init scripts, OSS4, etc in this thread.

In the future, you might want to not call people tards, unless you are positive that they are [but im sure it was an honest mistake, on your part].

Comment

Originally posted by FishB8 View Post
              huh. That's weird. Seems to be working for me.

*Shrugs and goes back to using systemd based Gentoo.*
              For what it is worth, Windows works for people too. What you use works for you as long as you are happy with it.

Comment

I'm not biggest fan of systemd, but I see no reason why compatibility with non-Linux kernels even considered as serious issue. After FreeBSD trying to remove all dependency on GNU bits and other BSD systems follow I don't see why would any Linux company care about those proprietary console and router firmwares.

Comment

Originally posted by ryao View Post
                  For what it is worth, Windows works for people too. What you use works for you as long as you are happy with it.
                  Great. Explain that to these guys: http://boycottsystemd.org/

Comment

Originally posted by FishB8 View Post
                    Great. Explain that to these guys: http://boycottsystemd.org/
                    I never said Windows was well designed. For some good points on design issues in systemd, see the following blog posts:

That being said, anything that falls under the criteria of being good enough as far as a user can tell "works" for the user. The software engineering need not be good.

Comment

&quot;Traditional UNIX paradigms&quot;

To me, the fact that systemd, together with other Lennart projects, do not follow "traditional UNIX paradigms" is what makes them necessary. I firmly believe that *nix holds Linux back. I see why someone would like to stick to *NIX and in some cases, it may be a good thing, but for 99% of the population and 99.99999% use cases, I thing it's time to move on. A lot has happened since the 1980s and Linux should not try to cater primarily for those who judge an OS by how easy it is to edit config files with arbitrary, unpredicable syntaxes using vi. For those who want that, there will always be BSD and certainly also some non-mainstream Linux distros.

Comment

Working...
                      X