This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Will new users trying out Ubuntu even know what systemd is? NO! What about UNIX philosophy? To new Ubuntu users out there trying Ubuntu for a spin, they know nothing about it. They don't know if Ubuntu follows the UNIX philosophy because once Ubuntu works for them, it just works. Same with elementary OS. There are people out there who don't KNOW what is UNDER THE HOOD of Linux, because if you ask Ubuntu users that never mess with command line what Linux is, you might get a blank stare. As long as installing applications do not break dependency, that's all that matters to them.
    And thats the way it should be...
    Would mean everything is how its supossed to be, not everyone likes to be a "geek" they just want to use the computer to watch theyr kitty videos or play some games.

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
      Will new users trying out Ubuntu even know what systemd is? NO! What about UNIX philosophy? To new Ubuntu users out there trying Ubuntu for a spin, they know nothing about it. They don't know if Ubuntu follows the UNIX philosophy because once Ubuntu works for them, it just works. Same with elementary OS. There are people out there who don't KNOW what is UNDER THE HOOD of Linux, because if you ask Ubuntu users that never mess with command line what Linux is, you might get a blank stare. As long as installing applications do not break dependency, that's all that matters to them.
      I don't mind that. Feel free to use systemd, I really don't mind that either.

But I don't want to use systemd, and it need go no farther than that. You need not know or understand my reasons - they may matter to me, but they don't have to do you. When someone comes out and says, "systemd has won" as was posted earlier in this thread, it's not far to imagine some glee in the idea that I too will be forced to run systemd soon.

Why do you care! Is your life that boring that you have to try to control my computer, too? Get a life!

(The next thing someone else on this thread will do, besides schooling me on how stupid, backward, and retarded I am, will be to tell me to "get a life" and just go ahead and use systemd, already.)

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: New Group Calls For Boycotting Systemd

A new project has been established that's trying to boycott systemd and the Linux distributions utilizing systemd...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc3OTM
        Website that looks from 90's, idiotic arguments, attention whoring, well looks like we're dealing with some trolls here. Ignore them.

Besides, theres plenty of distros that don't and won't use systemd in near future, so whats the point of this nonsense. Its called freedom of choice and its a beautiful thing. Let a modern man use modern tools, and the caveman play with his init scrips.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAnIdiot
          Take for instance Slackware, a distro which does not have systemd (uses int scripts) has the same boot time and runs incredibly fast.
          That's not the primary feature of systemd. It certainly is _one_ feature of systemd.

PulseAudio and systemd both waste resources to achieve terrible results.
          The systemd results are not terrible at all. Getting rid of terrible, bloated, duplicated init scripts is a nice thing. Having a reliable service management is nice too. We can actually track forks etc. correctly now.

Not sure about pulse. I have noticed that I have more useful sound settings now that Ubuntu uses pulse. And sound now works all the time, while it failed occasionally before pulse was introduced. I.e. I often had problems with flash audio, that is now fixed. (Not sure if pulse fixed this.)

I used the alsa API and the pulse API for exactly the same thing, and I prefer the pulse API. Not sure if it's just a lack of documentation for Alsa. It was easier to figure out how the pulse API works, and it offers better features. Pulse has a feature to query for stream latency, which I didn't use for the alsa code because I didn't stumble upon something like that while scrolling through alsa docs. Maybe it's possible using alsa, but I don't know how.

Comment

Yeah, let's boycott Open Source software!

Seriously? Do open source folks seriously take the time to "boycott" open source projects? Is that how things get better?

I say, FORK YOURSELF! Seriously, do your thing, fork systemd, fork initv, fork Ubuntu, whatever, may the Power of the Source be with you, and please shut TF up.

Comment

Go get a room you two!

A classic case of two lovers arguing in a highly reasonable fashion. I would say "Go get a room you two!" but it is getting old now. Maybe we could put a spin on it just for the two, let me see:

"Go get a distro you two!"
              "Go get a hashtag you two!"
              "Go get a runlevel you two!"

Hmm, meh. I am out of ideas.

Comment

?Red Hat has forced systemd into the enterprise with the release of RHEL 7.?
                Yes, it?s true. http://www.infoworld.com/d/data-cent...y-linux-249483 says so!

Comment

Originally posted by hadrons123 View Post
                  The people who are against systemd never actually produce any better code or implementation of what systemd can provide. All they can do is talk, talk, talk and suck out all the emotional energy out of people who really do all the work.
                  I'm against the non-init-system parts of systemd, and I'm capable of writing pretty good code (it's my job after all). That doesn't mean I have enough free time to reimplement yet another init system. Instead, I just object to the parts of systemd that I don't like, and maybe, just maybe, that might have a positive effect on the direction they take in the future. If not, then I guess it's a good thing I have a life outside of software.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
                    For me it's simple - I don't like german cars, I don't own any and I don't give a shit about them. I don't waste my life on whining on german motorization
                    It's not that simple. Let's say you like American cars, particularly Chrysler, and Daimler buys them. Suddenly, Daimler makes a bunch of decisions that Chrysler fans don't like and Chrysler sales suffer. Well now, you're interested in German motorization.

This is the way anti-systemd people think. udev used to work for them before and now it's been swallowed up by systemd, and they'll have to fork it and write/maintain a bunch of new code, because things that that were formerly modular and independent are no longer so.

Comment

So did you really just register to make a fool of yourself or are you just a fool?

Comment

Working...
                      X