The Widely-Criticized New Commercial Linux Distro Is Now On Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    Well, you use proper grammar, spell words correctly (or close enough), and phrase things properly. You'd easily pass an English test at a high school here.
    Heh thanks! Actually I still am at High Scool here in Slovakia and i got B mark from english .

Anyway the more i read (for example):

What we plan to add is a more dedicated dock creation tool, enabling you to create a Mac like dock anywhere on your screen.
    While I don't want to be disrespectful, this sounds like the "Create Panel -> Templates -> Standard Panel" from KDE. Basically it's a template. I have yet to find anything that would take those $50,000 and translate them into anything practical, except maybe doing the whole OEM thing.

glitz up the dock with some cool effects for both launching and actively running apps.
    And that sounds like KWin compositor. Although I may be wrong there.

Also the last note, one thing that they want to do:

As well we?ll be working on the dynamic rollback feature mentioned previously
    Wouldn't they need to use BTRFS for this? I think something like that exists for the EXT4 fs, however that doesn't work too well as far as I know. BTRFS doesn't allow to create a SWAP file partition, that means those 2GB of memory will run out VERY QUICKLY. One thing that Linux really benefits from, is having a lot of RAM, since the kernel can cache the older programs on the RAM to make them load faster etc. If they want to create a "Pleasant experience", they should focus on things that matter. So far, I only see a really bad PR sentences. In my humble opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
      Oh, look a laptop http://south.manufacturer.globalsour...lim-Laptop.htm

MOQ:200 Pieces
      FOB Price: US$ 155 - US$ 200
      FOB Port:Shenzhen
      Lead Time: 3 - 15 days
      Isn't that the exact same...

Oh my god.

Comment

Those poor, delusional college kids.. oh well, at the very least they'll have something to write on their CV later on.

Comment

Originally posted by riklaunim View Post
          Oh, look a laptop http://south.manufacturer.globalsour...lim-Laptop.htm

MOQ:200 Pieces
          FOB Price: US$ 155 - US$ 200
          FOB Port:Shenzhen
          Lead Time: 3 - 15 days
          Now that could be a problem...

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
            While System76 is not mainstream, they are profitable. On this week's Bad Voltage podcast they interviewed a representative of System76, who stated that they are not influenced by the declining PC market at all.

But I don't expect this to be a succes.
            Good for them. But for me their products are uninspiring to say at least.

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
              BTRFS doesn't allow to create a SWAP file partition, that means those 2GB of memory will run out VERY QUICKLY. One thing that Linux really benefits from, is having a lot of RAM, since the kernel can cache the older programs on the RAM to make them load faster etc. If they want to create a "Pleasant experience", they should focus on things that matter. So far, I only see a really bad PR sentences. In my humble opinion of course.
              Well, swap can (and should) be its own partition on the disk, so no BTRFS problem there. But if the system runs on an SSD... a budget SSD won't survive long with a heavely used swap partition.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
                Well, swap can (and should) be its own partition on the disk, so no BTRFS problem there. But if the system runs on an SSD... a budget SSD won't survive long with a heavely used swap partition.
                The thing is that BTRFS doesn't support swap.

Comment

When it comes to Kickstarter one piece of info I find of utmost value: number of backed projects.
                  In this case: "0 backed" says that he does not trust the system or maybe he does not care. So why would I ? Pfft

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
                    The thing is that BTRFS doesn't support swap.
                    BTRFS does not support swap files, but that restriction does not apply when you make swap its own partition on the disk, or a swap file in a different filesystem.
                    In this case, sda1 could be the btrfs filesystem, and sda2 would be the swap partition.

Comment

Originally posted by bibaheu View Post
                      BTRFS does not support swap files, but that restriction does not apply when you make swap its own partition on the disk, or a swap file in a different filesystem.
                      In this case, sda1 could be the btrfs filesystem, and sda2 would be the swap partition.
                      Oh I didn't know that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X