Microsoft vs. Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
    Microsoft Office definitely feels more polished than LibreOffice or OpenOffice, there's just something about them that feels a little dated. Feature wise, they're great but I can see why people prefer Excel and Word.
    I am just a bit curious. What do you define as "more polished" ?!. The way I see it the Libre / Open office is a bit "dated" in that respect that it looks like have always done. That is not necessarily a bad thing tough.
    I disliked the ribbon at first, but have now gotten used to it. It is useable, but it wastes a lot of space and I find myself hunting over the icons to see the tooltip. A standard menu that is in effect a lot of tooltip buttons grouped together and organized is a far more "polished" experience as far as I am concerned.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

MS Office has clearly had more thought put into the UI. I often find with Libre (I haven't used OO in a couple of versions so it may have improved). LibreOffice Writer always feels a little clunky, it's like older versions of MS Word that made certain things difficult to work with. An example I hit the other day... at the top of a new document, insert a table... now try to delete the table... after several minutes trying I had to create a new document and paste back everything apart from the table. This is just one thing that I remember from recently, working with complex layouts and floating boxes can sometimes be a bit of a pain, although mostly I've only done that with documents that were created in Word so wouldn't expect them to work 100%.

Having used both MS Office and LibreOffice extensively, I just find fewer situations where the application is getting in the way of what I'm trying to achieve.

LibreOffice Present also has some rather odd quirks if you're working with ppt/pptx files. On several occasions I've saved a .pptx file, opened it back up and all the font sizes are different and every line has a bullet point in front of it, it's just little things like this which make MS Office a little better.

Comment

Microsoft needs to hire a new proof reader.

Doe they have a "Migration Planning Manager" utility...
        They've also left markup in there showing previous edits.

I prefer the MS Office interface but mostly out of familiarity. I still think the software is garbage. I spend more time waiting for Excel to restart after a crash than actually using it.
        Last edited by randomizer; 08 August 2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom B View Post
          LibreOffice Present also has some rather odd quirks if you're working with ppt/pptx files. On several occasions I've saved a .pptx file, opened it back up and all the font sizes are different and every line has a bullet point in front of it, it's just little things like this which make MS Office a little better.
          Hardly surprising considering that both ppt/pptx contains specific microsoft codes to generate fonts for example. It is by design.

Comment

Thread

Also remember that Microsoft does not usually care much about the seriousness of a bug, but rather the number of people that is complaining. Number of people complaining vs potential lost profit.
            The main thing that is keeping Microsoft office alive is inertia. To run Microsoft office you need a microsoft "operatingsystem" or whatever you wanna call that stuff. Sooner or later people who runs businesses will consider other options and then Microsoft would be obsolete at least if they don't change their stupid behavior.

Comment

Hehe, they already pulled the page with the MS vs Linux comparison

Comment

Anyway office 2013 is dead slow and if you think a bit what the majority of people use it for you don't really need anything other than openoffice or libreoffice. Most people copy some stuff here and there and write a few mails and so on. Very few use all the functions and more often than not you will find what you need in open office or libre office. Thank you..

Comment

Working...
                X