No announcement yet.

Qualcomm DMCA Notice Takes Down 100+ Git Repositories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sooooooooooo, I'll continue buying samsung smartphones.
    I wanted to switch to another platform just for the sake of equallity but if the SoC is not an Exynos then it's a Qualcomm.

Chinese manufacturers are worse than Qualcomm in this respect (openness), so any chinese smartphone is also discarded.

Comment

Buy Nexus phone, screw Samsung

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
        Hooray for Gitorious. I migrated my repositories there and it does the job just as well as GitHub. Zip downloads are available, but undocumented.
        So you're switching from a service that publicly documents it's DMCA claims in the US to a company that's hosted in the EU that has to abide by the exact same laws considering the EU is just as bad as the US for the sole reason that they (Github) received DMCA claims? They did EXACTLY what they should have done, which is abide but make a fuss. It's not Github's fault that the DMCA laws exist and it's obvious that they don't like them. Additionally, thanks to Git, it's extremely easy to replicate those repositories which means that it's highly unlikely that any data was lost. What's the big deal with Github? Gitorious would likely have done either the exact same thing or just not posted about it publicly like Github did.

So they had the exact same response. They didn't give out personal information and they took down the repository. If you don't like it, create your own service that doesn't respond to DMCA claims and find out where that gets you.
        Last edited by jimbohale; 04 July 2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
          So you're switching from a service that publicly documents it's DMCA claims in the US to a company that's hosted in the EU that has to abide by the exact same laws considering the EU is just as bad as the US for the sole reason that they (Github) received DMCA claims? They did EXACTLY what they should have done, which is abide but make a fuss. It's not Github's fault that the DMCA laws exist and it's obvious that they don't like them. Additionally, thanks to Git, it's extremely easy to replicate those repositories which means that it's highly unlikely that any data was lost. What's the big deal with Github? Gitorious would likely have done either the exact same thing or just not posted about it publicly like Github did.

So they had the exact same response. They didn't give out personal information and they took down the repository. If you don't like it, create your own service that doesn't respond to DMCA claims and find out where that gets you.
          The DMCA does allow responses to the takedown - if someone tells github that Qualcomm is wrong, they can put the git repositories back up without getting into trouble. Then Qualcomm would have to sue the people putting them up to take them down again, and github is in the clear.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            Never host anything on US-related services so that tyrant laws do not affect you.
            Hard lesson learned, I guess.
            Not everyone can afford the price vs. convenience-for-visitors trade-off inherent in hosting on non-GitHub services (eg. Gitorius is less convenient and many free code analysis/testing services require GitHub-based hosting).

My solution has been to develop a migration and backup strategy for everything I host on GitHub. To complete the package, I'm currently preparing a design doc for a tool to keep an incremental backup of GitHub Issues trackers via the GitHub API.

Comment

There are a number of ways to defeat the DCMA for the determined

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post

This issue exists throughout the Internet. When fair use of music or news reels is involved, usual procedure is never file a counterclaim, never let them get your personal information, just repost someplace harder for them to find. Example: Youtube has "Content ID" but no law requires them to. No other video hosting service I know of does, and no law requires active checking like this. That's one reason not to use Youtube when using background music on videos. For code, I would recommend reposting every last thing Qualcomm took down in places Qualcomm can't reach, repeat as necessary. US based servers should not be used for anything unless considered "expendable" in a game of whack-a-mole, or operated locally in open defiance of the law in a physically-defended location with offsite backups to another secure site. An example of the latter might be a sound server feeding a pirate radio station and accessable for streaming as well, physically being an old P4 box in the same squatted building housing the transmitter, loaded remotely from an offsite studio via Tor.

Comment

Conceal ownership of non-complying servers for ANY use

A server defying the DCMA needs to be operated in such a way that physical ownership cannot be determined, and it needs to be expendable. Bottom-shelf co-location with fake personal information and prepaid cards for payment might be one way, the P4 box in a squat or hidden in an apartment utility closet (paying off the staff if necessary) is another, assuming it is wiped clean of things like former disk contents-and of the builder's fingerprints. In both cases administration should be over Tor in case someone tries to determine ownership by watching incoming admin traffic.

When laws are unjust (copyright maximalization, seed patents, drug patent, software patents for example), I seek technical countermeasures first, political remedies second. Having the facts on the ground in your favor makes it a lot easier to negotiate with bought and paid for politicians from a position of power instead of one of weakness!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
                  A server defying the DCMA needs to be operated in such a way that physical ownership cannot be determined, and it needs to be expendable. Bottom-shelf co-location with fake personal information and prepaid cards for payment might be one way, the P4 box in a squat or hidden in an apartment utility closet (paying off the staff if necessary) is another, assuming it is wiped clean of things like former disk contents-and of the builder's fingerprints. In both cases administration should be over Tor in case someone tries to determine ownership by watching incoming admin traffic.

When laws are unjust (copyright maximalization, seed patents, drug patent, software patents for example), I seek technical countermeasures first, political remedies second. Having the facts on the ground in your favor makes it a lot easier to negotiate with bought and paid for politicians from a position of power instead of one of weakness!
                  Why do you even think about these details? What's wrong with you?

Comment

I cut my teeth on draft resistance and opposing war in El Salvador

Originally posted by nslay View Post
                    Why do you even think about these details? What's wrong with you?
                    When I was a teenager Ronald Reagan tried to bring back the draft so he could invade El Salvador with conventional forces. I refused to register and dared the US goverment to fight me over it, they chumped out, as they did in all but 21 cases. I sided with insurgents defending their own villages, Reagan sided with 14 families that wanted to keep all the land in El Salvador. In El Salvador they could not wait for Ronald Reagan to be voted out, they had to resist his proxy fighters with arms of their own-and over the next 14 years fought the US backed regime to a standstill and a negotiated peace. Now the FMLN runs the government there. Victories on the battlefield made the later political victories possible.

In the world of tech, this means being able to "hack it" when your enemies come calling, being able to conceal identities when needed, secure systems against governmental and corporate intrusion, make search warrants as well as bulk data collection physically useless with encrypted data and obfuscated metadata, and utterly defeat any and all efforts to censor your work. Both symetric and asymmetric responses to attack are possible when dealing with computers and networks.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
                      Good luck with that. Europe is also becoming part of the NWO.
                      Why not use an Asian based host?

Comment

Working...
                      X