The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ParticleBoard View Post
    As someone who got into programming at 11, got a degree and now does it professionally it warms my heart to know that not only will I be discriminated against for a job based on my gender, my qualifications will be completely ignored and the person who gets the job will be so unqualified they will need training...

Nice profession we had once...
    I'm sure the community appreciates good code no matter if it was written by a man or a woman or even a transsexual

i'm not surprised the gnome foundation is short on cash - gnome3 is an utter disaster and this is coming from someone who has used gnome for many years - mate is what i use nowdays....

Comment

• Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      I'm sure the community appreciates good code no matter if it was written by a man or a woman or even a transsexual

i'm not surprised the gnome foundation is short on cash - gnome3 is an utter disaster and this is coming from someone who has used gnome for many years - mate is what i use nowdays....
      Sure thing, Gnome 3 is a disaster because some ranting grandpa on the internet likes windows 95 UI better. If you look at the actual statistical data, GTK2 based UI's are a minority these days. World has moved on.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
        Learn quoting. Half of the quotes in that post aren't from me.
        Whatever, my bad. Anyway, this forum does not have multiquote function enabled.

Originally posted by sobkas
        Then what is the purpose of Gnome Foundation?
        some groups need a helping hand to get into it(or IT as a whole).
        *If you say they aren't, you are delusional. Doesn't believe? Then count how many rape threats you have received for being a developer.
        There, I fixed it.

-------------

Originally posted by lolnope
        Guys this is not about whether KDE or Gnome is better or how unusable gnome is. A free software project out there is in need of funds and we need to save it
        Let it be funded by feminists if they so much care for "girl power" in software development. I don't care who is developing software, be it man, woman, mangina, chick with dick, whatever, as long it is good software. In this day and age, with Internet, you don't even know who is sitting behind monitor and contribute to open/free software and it is irrelevant. GNOME foundation did it wrong and they need to face consequences of their irrational decisions.
        I don't want to support something where is money thrown away on something not connected with primary mission. Primary mission in this case is developing GNOME DE, not social politics, affirmative action, what not, so reap what you sow GNOME foundation, gfy.

Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
        Sure thing, Gnome 3 is a disaster because some ranting grandpa on the internet likes windows 95 UI better. If you look at the actual statistical data, GTK2 based UI's are a minority these days. World has moved on.
        Nice try, appeal to novelty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. True, transition from GNOME 1.x to 2.x caused some uproar from users, but not as reinventing the wheel with GNOME 3 which caused massive forking and modifications such as Cinnamon, Unity, MATE, what is clear indicator that something is wrong with their project.

People support something they like and many don't like GNOME 3 and move to other DE's like Cinnamon, MATE (GNOME 2 fork, they are doing it right), Xfce and so on. I don't have problem with GNOME 3 as many users do, but they are the one who will decide fate of GNOME 3.

If you look at the actual statistical data, GTK2 based UI's are a minority these days.
        No shit Sherlock, I wonder why, maybe it have something with stoping GTK2 development.

World has moved on.
        True, there is Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, LXDE based on GTK+, KDE 4.x and so on. MATE, Xfce will move on to GTK3 eventually, so there is no problem for them or users.

Women are treated badly* in foss(and in IT, geek) culture as a whole
        Joanna Rutkowska, Susan Kare... they are/were treated badly, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
          Whatever, my bad. Anyway, this forum does not have multiquote function enabled.

There, I fixed it.

-------------

Let it be funded by feminists if they so much care for "girl power" in software development. I don't care who is developing software, be it man, woman, mangina, chick with dick, whatever, as long it is good software. In this day and age, with Internet, you don't even know who is sitting behind monitor and contribute to open/free software and it is irrelevant. GNOME foundation did it wrong and they need to face consequences of their irrational decisions.
          I don't want to support something where is money thrown away on something not connected with primary mission. Primary mission in this case is developing GNOME DE, not social politics, affirmative action, what not, so reap what you sow GNOME foundation, gfy.

Nice try, appeal to novelty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. True, transition from GNOME 1.x to 2.x caused some uproar from users, but not as reinventing the wheel with GNOME 3 which caused massive forking and modifications such as Cinnamon, Unity, MATE, what is clear indicator that something is wrong with their project.

People support something they like and many don't like GNOME 3 and move to other DE's like Cinnamon, MATE (GNOME 2 fork, they are doing it right), Xfce and so on. I don't have problem with GNOME 3 as many users do, but they are the one who will decide fate of GNOME 3.

No shit Sherlock, I wonder why, maybe it have something with stoping GTK2 development.

True, there is Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce, LXDE based on GTK+, KDE 4.x and so on. MATE, Xfce will move on to GTK3 eventually, so there is no problem for them or users.

Joanna Rutkowska, Susan Kare... they are/were treated badly, right?
          People fork anything. Forking something is an indicator of health, not sickness. It means they found the GTK3 and Gnome Shell foundation solid, and would like to build own things on top of it. And that is just great.

Comment

• Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
            Lol... I was wondering if I was the only Gnome 3 users on Phoronix (which may well be, given the bias of this site) apparently we are at least two! Long live Gnome, despite its dev community having the fame of being difficult to work with!

Comment

• Originally posted by quasipedia View Post
              Lol... I was wondering if I was the only Gnome 3 users on Phoronix (which may well be, given the bias of this site) apparently we are at least two! Long live Gnome, despite its dev community having the fame of being difficult to work with!
              I actually prefer KDE over Gnome, but I've been using it one one of my workstations for the past 3 months and it has been pretty good. I only miss some WM features, otherwise its pretty decent.

Comment

• Originally posted by jan1024188 View Post
                This comment is spot on!

And this: "Nice try, appeal to novelty. If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
                is very symptomatic. Some stuckup minds just don't comprehend that many things (including some fundamentals!) actually were broken in the older UI's. So nice try, claiming someone appeals to novelty.

Originally posted by quasipedia View Post
                No, you're not. The thing is Gnome users do whatever they use their desktops for and don't bitch about desktop environments they don't use/shouldn't use.

Comment

• Originally posted by jan1024188
                  People fork anything. Forking something is an indicator of health, not sickness.
                  People fork something when they are not satisfied with current situation of their beloved software, where it is heading. You don't have forks of KDE 4, but you have forks of GNOME 2 (first was anounced EXDE vapourware but eventually MATE came along) and 3 (Unity, Cinnamon). Yeah, I know about Trinity Desktop Environment, but how many distros are using it?

Forking is indicator of necessity. MariaDB for example was necessity. Sometimes forking is act of one band show and egoism.

Open/free software developing philosophy with GPL or BSD license is healthy approach, forking could be right or wrong, it depends on situation.

Just because you can fork something does not make you right to do it. But it is your choice and your time to spend resources on forking, hoping to success and get large user base. You think that Linux Mint developers choose to make Cinnamon out of the blue, without good reason?

Originally posted by Bucic
                  Some stuckup minds just don't comprehend that many things (including some fundamentals!) actually were broken in the older UI's. So nice try, claiming someone appeals to novelty.
                  "Stuckup minds"? Nice argument. What were broken? User Interface desktop paradigm, HIG? Two panels vs Tablet UI for use on desktop. What is purpose of 3D accelerated desktop, eye candy without useful features, maybe useful with touch screen in mind with GNOME 3 UI, but not for desktop. Is it necessary? Not. Did I mention more or less crappy perfomance of GNOME 3 in VirtualBox?
                  Hell, GNOME developers have in mind dropping fallback mode (https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointSev...ixFallbackMode).

In KDE 4 you can turn off 3D acceleration and if you want "tablet experience" you can turn on Plasma Netbook, nice and simple.

Originally posted by Bucic
                  The thing is Gnome users do whatever they use their desktops for and don't bitch about desktop environments they don't use/shouldn't use.
                  The thing is GNOME users don't like direction where was/is GNOME 3 heading, including some applications like Nautilus/Files -> Nemo, Caja (how many forks of Konqueror and Dolphin as file managers?), that is reason why there are many forks of GNOME DE.
                  It is unnecessary fragmentation, but that is not my problem.

In the end reality will hit GNOME developers as was GNOME foundation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    No, you're not. The thing is Gnome users do whatever they use their desktops for and don't bitch about desktop environments they don't use/shouldn't use.
                    How quickly people forget. Or maybe you weren't around during the KDE 4.0 launch, when Gnome users were trashing KDE right, left, and center for their handling of the release.

Comment

• Originally posted by fanATic View Post
                      And how, exactly, is encouraging as many developers as possible to contribute "not connected with primary mission" [sic]? If there is a big pool of talented developers that aren't contributing because people have convinced them they aren't welcome, how is it not in the best interests of Gnome (or any other free software community) to rectify that?

Comment

Working...
                      X