The GNOME Foundation Is Running Short On Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
    It is non-essential, because it is not necessary for the Gnome Foundation to survive. What is necessary is not to run out of money.
    Then what is the purpose of Gnome Foundation?
    Free software needs everyone to produce a better software and while it is sad, some groups need a helping hand to get into it(or IT as a whole).
    Women are treated badly* in foss(and in IT, geek) culture as a whole, so I'm disappointed that community at Phoronix is willing to worsen this situation.

This whole thread is one big exercise in female shaming and/or misogyny.
    It's full of bullshit and there is no excuse for that. Shame on all of us. Shame.

*If you say they aren't, you are delusional. Doesn't believe? Then count how many rape threats you have received for being a developer.
    RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

• Originally posted by sobkas View Post
      *If you say they aren't, you are delusional. Doesn't believe? Then count how many rape threats you have received for being a developer.
      i didn't know Vim_User was a girl, didn't expect it tbh
      exciting times here on phoronix

Comment

Free software needs everyone to produce a better software and while it is sad, some groups need a helping hand to get into it(or IT as a whole).
        Women are treated badly* in foss(and in IT, geek) culture as a whole, so I'm disappointed that community at Phoronix is willing to worsen this situation.

It's full of bullshit and there is no excuse for that. Shame on all of us. Shame.

There is no proof that women are being treated in some sort of bad way in IT. I suggest you go to Afghanistan or Africa, I have heard they have problems. But in western world to say women are treated badly is equal to expecting women should be treated like queens and princesses, which would be very unequal. None should have to treat women like they would be his betters.

Comment

• Originally posted by moilami View Post
          I have heard they have problems.
          Looking at a situation that is worse is a good way to remind one self how far one as come, but it is not a good way to motivate one to go further.

Cheers,
          _

Comment

So you are saying it is totally OK for the Gnome Foundation to run out of money, as long as they spent their money on OPWs? How do you expect them to finance OPWs in the future when being bankrupt?
            Originally posted by gens
            i didn't know Vim_User was a girl, didn't expect it tbh
            Funny, I didn't know that either. sobkas seems to know more about me that I do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
              because it was exceedingly frequent for male developers to try to reach female developers and approach them sexually.
              And what the hell is wrong with that. People are approached sexually all the time. Men and women. And most of the time by people they are not interested in. Just tell the person who's hitting on you you are not interested. Adutls do that just fine. If you are a afraid of being a sex obect you should live in a convent or in Saudi Arabia and leave people alone with your fears.

Comment

• Originally posted by D?dale View Post
                And what the hell is wrong with that. People are approached sexually all the time.
                The reference was almost certainly about behavior in a context were it was not appropriate, e.g. at a conference or a work related communication channel.

Originally posted by D?dale View Post
                If you are a afraid of being a sex obect you should live in a convent or in Saudi Arabia and leave people alone with your fears.
                So you consider only religiously tighly controlled environments as safe?
                Should all societies that whos members have evolved passed the animal state, usually referred to colloquially as "humans" or scientifically as "homo sapiens", be safe?

Cheers,
                _

Comment

• Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                  Mint has 9 versions. If it was 10x as popular there would also be more versions and packages and maintainers and programers working within one distro. More options to satisfy everyone.
                  This would lead to a better Distro
                  Which would lead to more support from companies.

The distro fragmentation that you feel is a good thing has done nothing for Linux.
                  Microsoft has XP Starter, XP Home, XP Pro, XP 64, XP Pro 64, at least four versions of Vista, at least six versions of Windows 7 (I'm not sure how many versions are duplicated across 32-bit and 64-bit), at least three versions of Windows 8, Windows RT, and at least three versions of Windows 8.1, with five or more different versions of the 'Windows' interface.

This distro fragmentation has done nothing good for Windows.

Comment

• Okay - Gnome Foundation apparently are still spending money like drunken sailors.

The GNOME Foundation is happy to announce that 39 participants have been accepted for Google Summer of Code (GSoC) and the Outreach Program For Women (OPW) internships to work with the GNOME Project this summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by grndzro View Post
                      Slackware and Gentoo. IDC what the community gets behind. They are both decent Distros. As long as the community comes together mainly behind one distro that has good managment and community values it will be a huge benefit to the continued improvment of Linux.

We need one distro that combines all the little things that people want into a package that they can easily tailor to their needs.

We need collaboration between package maintainers in one distro. Not collaboration between distro's. Having all these Distro's leads to conflicts and split resources and talent that should be used toward improving and adapting a version of a much more popular distro.

For Example what does Logitech see when it looks at Linux. It sees 200 different Distro's with an absurd anount of package variables. They throw their hands up in defeat before they even start.
                      You already have that one distribution with Ubuntu LTS.
                      It provides the majority of what people want and the community is practically behind it whether they admit it or not.
                      This site and all the major players in the Linux world back it. NVidia tests against it. The Linux Steam client was developed on it.

Logitech only has to provide specifications to the maintainers of the mice and keyboard drivers in the Linux kernel development for their latest products.

There is software to convert between the different packages; for example, alien.

People ask for a miracle, but they are quick to dismiss anything resembling one.

But you seriously don't want to have just one distribution. You need things to fall back on when corruption and complacency kill innovation.
                      It only takes one bad choice by a distribution maintainer to drive away their users. At this point, who isn't guilty? They're all dirty with Gnome3 and Kde4.

I just wish the Flat look would die out already.

Comment

Working...
                      X