Linux Kernel Developers Fed Up With Ridiculous Bugs In Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garegin View Post
    Frankly I'm sick and tired of his theatrical BS. If he was quick to anger I could sympathize but he is just putting on a show because people love the drama. You're a computer scientist, act like one.
    Linus? Linus IS quick to anger and he doesn't like people fscking with his baby.
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by nslay View Post
      A tangent thought: /proc sure is great for scripting, but I'm still dumbfounded that native applications have to parse strings to get system information on Linux. Even the awful Windows API got it right here ... It's really awkward to see someone declare a character buffer or string, open a file, read the file into a buffer and then use <string> or <cstring> operations to get the information ... I mean, frankly, it's really stupid and the format of these files isn't always straightforward or even documented. Some of them are just space delimited numbers with no obvious meaning - I wouldn't even call that human-readable - at least a struct can have named members and comments.
      It comes from a unix philosophy[1] and Most if not all of them are well documented[2]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_is_a_file

[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documenta...stems/proc.txt

Comment

Linus? Linus IS quick to anger and he doesn't like people fscking with his baby.
        So use ZFS.

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
          You're a computer scientist, act like one.
          Linus acts like Linus, and he's good at creating stable Linux kernels. Not many computer scientists would be as good.

Perhaps, since he's doing such a great job, we shouldn't argue that he should change? Such change may lead to unintended consequences.

Comment

That's a pretty silly issue. I'd say the ideal thing to do would be to add systemd.loglevel=n where the default was 0 (no log output), 1 would output just a bit and something around 5 would start crashing the system.

Comment

Lennartware/Systemd being beaten by Linus himself. Ah, this is an aweseome way to start the day.
              (And they wanted this systemd stuff in the kernel and whatsnot.)
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                Noooo.. Go back to your dream world Adarion. There's been systemd-centric support added to the Kernel in a couple ways but there's been nothing discussed about adding "systemd" to the kernel and nothing that your comment could even be interpreted as other than pointless flamebait or trolling.
                All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Lennartware/Systemd being beaten by Linus himself. Ah, this is an aweseome way to start the day.
                  In case you didn't notice he is not pissed with systemd. He is pissed with Kay not fixing bugs he introduced.

Comment

Pretty sure Lennart has nothing to do with it. Linus was griping about Kay, who responded poorly to the bug report.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiori View Post
                      It would have been funnier if this had happenend when debian was chosing systemd vs upstart. so much for omg systemd is just perfect.
                      Fanboys will never learn. Systemd holds no real advantage over sysvint and all its perceived advantages are either superfluous daemons that re-invent things better implemented somewhere or pure cosmetics like slightly faster boot times. Are those worth all the trouble we have to put up with and all the freedom we stand to lose? In my opinion - absolutely not. But fanboys will never learn.

Comment

Working...
                      X