Linux Kernel Developers Fed Up With Ridiculous Bugs In Systemd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by scjet View Post
    "...ignoring the complexity and fragility of the scripts framework..." - that so-called foundation(of simple init scripts) has been in place, and has worked flawlessly for over 30 years, in the "real" unix/linux world.
    Your "systemd", has to learn to curb their arrogance and admit their mistakes, and then FIX they're buggy crap, or else.
    Cause nobody wants a potential "systemd" heartbleed, ...
    My god, the shear ignorance displayed here is staggering.

Comment

• Seems to me systemd is being persecuted

All this hate because someone dares to come up with new boot code! I've been playing with systemd for the past week, it's been like a new toy to me to learn my way around. Since I mantain a private package for unlocking multiple encrypted disks, I figured why not install systemd, learn my way around it, and then port my package to work with it.

OK, here's my results: With systemd on the root volume and the older Upstart/initramfs-tools initrd, it works fine so long as there are no invalid but present entries in /etc/crypttab (not used by my package. With a systemd using version of Dracut instead, I can unlock all disks and boot, but not with my own code and a single passphrase call yet, nor have I gotten my custom Plymouth theme working in Dracut's initrd yet.

It's been an interesting hackfest, and I do expect to get my code working the systemd way, probably by having my script check for all devices present before calling the passphrase to unlock any of them, exiting non-zero if any have yet to appear so it can recycle as a Dracut hook. If I can't get the hooks to work, I will have to find out how to write a generator that would work like the cryptsetup/systemd generator but call the passphrase my way to unlock all the disks at once. I expect sucess, not having it yet means I haven't learned enough about systemd and dracut yet, it does NOT mean they suck!

I benchmarked a dracut/sustemd boot into a unencrypted test partition on an SSD at 13 seconds with a 4.5 GHZ AMD FX-8120. I think systemd has a lot of potential to be a very fast booter and surely the various new code bugs will be swatted one at a time as the code matures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Luke
        All this hate because someone dares to come up with new boot code!
        Understatement of the year :P

If it were "new boot code", we'd have similar flamewars over the suckless init, upstart, s6 init, plan9 init, and others.

Comment

• Well there would certainly be some flamewars if every distro was switching to suckless init... But I don't see that happening anytime soon

Comment

• Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Understatement of the year :P

If it were "new boot code", we'd have similar flamewars over the suckless init, upstart, s6 init, plan9 init, and others.
            I'm pretty sure for many people this is just a personal campaign Lennart Poettering. If he would be the one who created upstart the situation would be pretty much the same

Comment

• Originally posted by droste View Post
              I'm pretty sure for many people this is just a personal campaign Lennart Poettering. If he would be the one who created upstart the situation would be pretty much the same
              if you really want to know i thought they learned from their past bollocks
              now drop the prejudice, it' s decremental to a healthy society

Comment

• q.e.d.

Comment

• Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat

Comment

• Not sure what you are trying to say, you already proofed my point

Comment

• haha
                      mind pointing it out at least ?
                      since you are so smart copy pasting latin expressions, making a valid case should not be a problem for you
                      (i'l ignore the obvious ad hominem attack this time)

Comment

Working...
                      X