Fedora To Have A "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" For Contributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    Didn't know they had fully changed hands, though Germany probably their own restrictions in place too
    Nope, not for software.

Comment

Does anyone understand what this law actually is? If it blocks US companies from receiving software from Sudan it sounds like an import restriction.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz View Post
        Does anyone understand what this law actually is? If it blocks US companies from receiving software from Sudan it sounds like an import restriction.
        +1

the only thing i could imagine is that it would be a paid job. so there would be money outflow...

Comment

I've been sitting here the whole time thinking the same thing. That software is being imported to the US from outside the US (hence the usage of the term import!). Sitting in my armless chair, it seems to me should have nothing to do with exporting, which the US applies to products that pass through its borders.

So, is it a poor choice of wording in the article, or am I missing something?
          Hi

Comment

Originally posted by felipe View Post
            Those are terrorist country according to wikipedia... help them if you are stupid. bye

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
              Didn't know they had fully changed hands, though Germany probably their own restrictions in place too
              I don't understand this confusion, SUSE was a German company from day one.

They were owned by Novell at some point, but that doesn't make them a US company. Chrysler is owned by Fiat, and previously by Benz, but it doesn't mean that Chrysler is now an Italian company, and that it was a German company.
              Last edited by pingufunkybeat; 06 March 2014, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
                Chrysler is owned by Fiat, and previously by Benz, but it doesn't mean that Chrysler is now an Italian company, and that it was a German company.
                I thought that benz didn't own Chrysler but that it's been a fusion!?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                  I thought that benz didn't own Chrysler but that it's been a fusion!?
                  Yes, that is what they called it.

It was a bit like Facebook merging with WhatsApp

Comment

Originally posted by dstaubsauger View Post
                    And then they redifine "military equipment" to include Cryptography software and 3D printer drivers?
                    That's indeed the case, and the reason why it can't be exported. Cryptography software above a certain theshold was considered as "Munition" and was controlled.
                    (That's why at some point, US companies weren't allowed to sell abroad software with DES encryption more than 56 bits).

PGP's Author did have problems because of that.

Would it change anything if fedora hosted their stuff somewhere outside the united states?
                    That's how Debian does it: they have a "non-US" repository, which is out of reach of the US government and is used for this kind of things (cryptography, DRM circumvention and reverse engineered codecs).

If it were just about fetching a software and packaging it into Fedora, that would be import.
                    But this situation is about contribution. I.e.: about people editing software that they got. Software which is illegal for them to have. And Fedora ends up involved in the process.
                    Some trigger-happy lawyer could make some shit.
                    So instead of trying to prove that no illegal export has occured, it's easier to just make the whole thing invisible.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
                      That's how Debian does it: they have a "non-US" repository, which is out of reach of the US government and is used for this kind of things (cryptography, DRM circumvention and reverse engineered codecs)
                      They had a non-us repo in the past.

non-US is obsolete

Since the sarge release, packages that were formerly in the non-US part of the archive have been moved into the regular archive. If you have any lines referring to "non-us" in your /etc/apt/sources.list, you should remove them.

Comment

Working...
                      X