Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The universities are friendly to open source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The universities are friendly to open source?

The universities are friendly to open source?

Yes they are. In fact the university I went to demanded that all software used or written must be GPL licensed.

It's not just the IT and computer science faculty but also the astronomy department demands Linux only for image processing.
    Last edited by beetreetime; 15 February 2014, 07:52 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry if I was no said well.
      My last attempt.

Part of faculties of planet are against teaching about Linux?
      Most universities of planet are prohibited from teaching about Linux?

Comment

My university required using Linux in at least 2 of my courses.

Comment

In my university only Linux is used. (I'm in France).

Comment

Depends on which universities you are talking about. Here in the US, Microsoft has their hands in the pants of most schools and they try to get programs built around their software because they are in the industry standard in this country. There's no getting around that. Many of those schools do have Linux classes though or at the very least, LUGs around the area, but Microsoft software is the name of the game for the most part.

Comment

There are certain subjects that are simply never going to use Windows. For example, any course dealing with high-performance or large-scale computing just isn't going to happen on Windows. Others are harder to do on windows. For example, my C/C++ course used windows machines, but the only thing we used them for is SSHing into a Linux server where all the actual work happened. (these were two different universities, btw). A python or perl course would likely be handled similarly.

Comment

Working...
              X