X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Detructor View Post
    what do Cuba or NK have to do with being anti-capitalism?
    Well, they are the last great bastions of communism, now that china is experimenting with capitalism.

Although i suspect most of the posters on here wouldn't like communism either. They're more anti-corporatism than pro-anything. And i further suspect that's mainly just because corporatism dominates the current world. Whatever is used most places is automatically hated by a lot of people. There isn't any magical perfect system that everyone would like.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 02-12-2014, 04:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Detructor
    replied
    Originally posted by 89c51 View Post

Also to all the morons that say capitalism sucks go live in Cuba or north Korea. Then come and repeat these bullshit.
    what do Cuba or NK have to do with being anti-capitalism?

I'm currently living in a capitalistic country as most of the visitors of this websites do and it sucks. It sucks less than the USA but it sucks. In times of robotics people shouldn't be forced to be farmers or work at assembly belts. Instead everyone should satisfy humanities greatest gift: Our curiosity. Instead we've some very few people actually doing something for humanity (research/science) and a lot of people doing tasks that are just not neccessary. The entire banking/insurance system is completely useless if it weren't for this stupid system.
    Last edited by Detructor; 02-12-2014, 04:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    A big fuck you to mozilla if they implement something like that.

Also to all the morons that say capitalism sucks go live in Cuba or north Korea. Then come and repeat these bullshit.

Leave a comment:

• Prescience500
    replied
    Mispost
    Last edited by Prescience500; 02-12-2014, 03:55 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Leave a comment:

• Adarion
    replied
    Oh well.

1. They could have asked for donations. I am not rich but I actually donate here and there or support things I like with money, beer or just actions of any type if I can.
    2. Building in ads sucks. Generally. Because it is a close step to the next level: spyware / user tracking.
    3. Ads in general suck. They are pesky. Most of them insult my eyes and intellect. (If they actually are funny or just informative, well, it's much more bearable.)
    4. Building in ads will make them lose users. So - fewer users / watchers / ratings -> less ad revenue.

Capitalism doesn't work. Communism probably neither due to human weakness. But looking at the U.S.A. I think you can actually see capitalism in its final state. It works for a few selected who manage to exploit the 99% others. I wonder how long it will take until they finally admit that they are actually bankrupt and have been so for the last 10 years.

Either way: Firefox's feature "newtab" was instantly disabled as soon as they built it in.

By the way:
    about:Mozilla
    So much for the Mammon.

Leave a comment:

• Detructor
    replied
    Originally posted by brosis View Post
    While I understand the necessity, something tells me its a completely the wrong direction.I am okay with Firefox version 3. All the newer technologies are interesting for content providers, so that is who should be paying or contributing. Ads serve no other reason than a reverse-payment, meaning Firefox is more or less sold to its users now. And that means, Google has stopped paying them or they are loosing previously available income sources. Which gives other thoughts.... But all-in-all its a downward spiral, not an advantage.

Phoronix is a for-profit news and benchmarking project. Buy premium, Michael isn't a web rendering library, he has costs to pay.
    nobody argues against that you've to make money in the current system. The point I'm arguing about is the statement that he believes in capitalism. And that's just ...not right IMO.

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Personally i understand, and prefer that to IE or to being spied on.
    But i think it 'll hurt their userbase...

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Hmm, well, I guess I might have to consider starting to use the home page as the default new tab page... Not that those ads would be much of an issue if it's just the default set, but just out of principle.

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    I hope malware won't be distributed by advertisers who might show a sign of infection. If there's any sign of malware coming from compromised advertiser, that will be a violation of trust and therefore will be blocked off from my computer.

And this is no matter how much cautious we can be in the Internet and no matter how up-to-date anti-virus programs can be, especially when it coes to Windows.
    "malware"? "infection"? "anti-virus"? "Windows"? What kind of terms are those?

Originally posted by Annabel View Post
    Are here people who use the internet (or even this site) without adblock? hah
    Yes. In fact, with the latest Firefox, it's pretty fine, since Flash is blocked by default. Then the remaining ads are easy to deal with: if you see an offensive one and it's from AdSense, you can just disable it with the X button. If it's not, then you can block all images from the advertising site by simply using Firefox's built-in image blocker.

Leave a comment:

• brosis
    replied
    While I understand the necessity, something tells me its a completely the wrong direction.I am okay with Firefox version 3. All the newer technologies are interesting for content providers, so that is who should be paying or contributing. Ads serve no other reason than a reverse-payment, meaning Firefox is more or less sold to its users now. And that means, Google has stopped paying them or they are loosing previously available income sources. Which gives other thoughts.... But all-in-all its a downward spiral, not an advantage.

Originally posted by Remdul View Post
    Not sure which bothers me more; ads in Firefox or the idea that someone can still believe in capitalism after the events of the last ~10 years. The former is just 'sigh', the latter is just plain offensive.

Also Adblock re-enabled. It did make me feel dirty to disable it in the first place...thanks for reminding me why.
    Phoronix is a for-profit news and benchmarking project. Buy premium, Michael isn't a web rendering library, he has costs to pay.
    Last edited by brosis; 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Remdul
    replied
    Not sure which bothers me more; ads in Firefox or the idea that someone can still believe in capitalism after the events of the last ~10 years. The former is just 'sigh', the latter is just plain offensive.

Also Adblock re-enabled. It did make me feel dirty to disable it in the first place...thanks for reminding me why.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X