Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
    Come on, this is an awful analogy.
    I'm aware, but making good analogies is easier when you try to defend a particular point, while I was just trying to debunk the idea that freedom and complete lack of restrictions are necessarily the same thing, and my analogy makes that obvious, which is the idea.

Let's make one better, between A and B (let me know if you disagree)
    - There is a public good, non-excludable and non-rivalrous.
    A) an open source project.
    B) some infrastructure build by the state, like a road (note: it's a special road, using the road does not damage it, nor prevents others to use it at the same time).
    - An individual uses the common good to make some new goods
    A) some contributions to the project
    B) Any business that requires roads
    - Some regulation decides what you can do with the newly created goods
    1) In the copyleft case
    A) you must contribute back to the project
    B) you must give all the goods to the state, which will make more roads for everyone
    2) In the permissive case
    A) you do as you want, keep it secret, or put burden of maintenance on upstream
    B) you keep the goods if you want, pay the state on a voluntary basis. But you can pay to have more roads closer to you, as an incentive.
    3) In the proprietary case
    B) Just kidding, the road was private, you paid your goods beforehand to be allowed to use it .

Well in the real world, neither 1 (which is indeed the spirit of communism) nor 2 (which would be a non-profit, donation based state) actually work very well, and I would not tell that one is much better than the other (3 worked until we cut their heads :P). What happens in the real world is that you are taxed on a part of your revenue, which is hard to do on software Your best bet is to have software of both types coexisting, I guess.
    Anyway, in this example, 1 provides less freedom than 2, but more equality. That's my view on copyleft vs permissive, but it's pretty much subjective.
    I pretty much agree, specially on the part that it's subjective.

Comment

• Originally posted by erendorn View Post
      Come on, this is an awful analogy.
      "..."
      Anyway, in this example, 1 provides less freedom than 2, but more equality. That's my view on copyleft vs permissive, but it's pretty much subjective.
      I agree 100%.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
        So, come on, define freedom for all of us.
        I already did, you bloviating twerp. Scroll up, click the link, and kindly stop redefining the language to fit your ideals.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          I already did, you bloviating twerp. Scroll up, click the link, and kindly stop redefining the language to fit your ideals.
          Did you happen to click it yourself? Because the fact there are around twenty definitions inside that link proves how ambiguous that term is.
          Also, please, tell me who defined it. To fit what ideals? You talk like it is all written in stone, when freedom is a philosophical concept.

Comment

Also, please, tell me who defined it.
            Dictionary people.
            Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
            To fit what ideals?
            The correctness of the English language.

:P

Comment

Did you happen to click it yourself? Because the fact there are around twenty definitions inside that link proves how ambiguous that term is.
              You should learn how to use a dictionary before you continue making a fool out of yourself.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                You should learn how to use a dictionary before you continue making a fool out of yourself.
                I know how to use a dictionary, I just skimmed over the general context definitions. I correct myself, there are around five definitions that are vague enough to fit. Do the GPL imprison or enslave you? Because one definition of freedom in your link is just to not be imprisoned or enslaved.
                Do you happen to look for the meaning of love in dictionaries too? Or the meaning of life?

Comment

I know how to use a dictionary, I just skimmed over the general context definitions. I correct myself, there are around five definitions that are vague enough to fit. Do the GPL imprison or enslave you? Because one definition of freedom in your link is just to not be imprisoned or enslaved.
                  If you know how to use a dictionary, why are you having so much trouble with someone pointing out that the GPL is not a free license?

Comment

Do you happen to look for the meaning of love in dictionaries too? Or the meaning of life?
                    Don't be silly, of course the GPL imprisons you, it's no different to the NSA/TSA/Patriot Act. It takes away your freedom to "protect the freedom" of some other entity [software|america] from some vague threat [proprietary|terrorists].

Why do you think FSF false-flagger shills try to redefine words or use weasel words like "software freedom"? It's the same wool the government tries to pull over your eyes to blind you to their abuses.

Open your eyes, or do we need a software-snowden in here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth View Post
                      Don't be silly, of course the GPL imprisons you, it's no different to the NSA/TSA/Patriot Act. It takes away your freedom to "protect the freedom" of some other entity [software|america] from some vague threat [proprietary|terrorists].

Why do you think FSF false-flagger shills try to redefine words or use weasel words like "software freedom"? It's the same wool the government tries to pull over your eyes to blind you to their abuses.

Open your eyes, or do we need a software-snowden in here?
                      You are being sarcastic right?

I know I shouldn't ask, but there are people out there insane enough who would write something like you did and mean it.

Comment

Working...
                      X