X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    With JIT cache startup times would be history but oracle focuses more on the server side and there it does not matter.
    I doubt they would add this feature anytime soon, if ever.
    That's something that should be always there, I don't know how it didn't came from day zero. What's the point on compiling everytime you run the program?
    Does it at least profile the program so you can get better optimization everytime?

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
    prefer vectors over arrays
    While I do agree in most cases, I think for fixed size arrays, a C array is better. Why? Because most of the extra features a vector provides has no real use, and the C array uses less memory and probably incurs in slightly less overhead. For all other uses, yeah, stick to vectors, or the equivalent of the project you are working on (some projects in C++ use custom containers instead of the STL, SCUMMVM for example; they do provide a substitute for vectors).

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Which unfortunately is the one thing most people love to hate. They expect the JVM to be able to start up almost instantly.
    With JIT cache startup times would be history but oracle focuses more on the server side and there it does not matter.
    I doubt they would add this feature anytime soon, if ever.

Leave a comment:

• Apopas
    replied
    Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
    No, the Moonlight runtime is written in C++. It's one of the reasons it sucks.
    It sucks nevertheless.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    It's obvious that the C++ haters use C++ like a glorified C (or never even used it properly), well guess what it isn't! If you use C strings and arrays or pointers in C++ (unless absolutely neccessary, which should be almost never) then you are doing it WRONG.

In C++:
    prefer vectors over arrays
    string over c strings
    references over pointers
    exceptions over error return codes
    classes over structs

and there are many more things which I haven't listed.

I've seen so many "C++" libraries which use pointers, arrays and c strings that it isn't even funny, like a bad joke. and let me not get started about the "some compilers don't support exceptions" which is bullshit, any decent c++ compiler supports exceptions.

And yes changing to C++ from C because of memory or speed reasons is simply stupid, stick to what you're good at/what you know.

If you've ever written proper C++ then you would know it is a higher level language like Java, things are a lot easier to get done except some stuff like networking but there's boost for that. In my opinions proper usage of C++ is superior to C and it had the benefit of being at least as fast as C (unless you don't know what you're doing).

Ever wanted to add gzip support to your program? In c++ you simply usd boost and added a gzip filter which is compatible with iostream which means the majority of your code stays unchanged, and it's only a few lines of code extra.

Leave a comment:

• quasipedia
    replied
    Originally posted by energyman View Post
    The puzzling thing is that people still listen to that toxic destroyer Miguel.
    Who needs facts when you can just trust some random opinions?

Leave a comment:

• energyman
    replied
    people who have no clue at all love to bash c++.
    just for the same reasons others who have no clue at all love to bash java.

The puzzling thing is that people still listen to that toxic destroyer Miguel.

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Which unfortunately is the one thing most people love to hate. They expect the JVM to be able to start up almost instantly.
    That's one of the parts I hate the most, yeah. But as a hater I am, I avoid Java apps like the plague (JDownloader was quite the exception, as I didn't find at the time any alternative, and when I've found them I had already discovered QBittorrent with it's search engines <3), so maybe I was just lucky enough that it was only startup, and you meant the UI was generally slow.

Anyway, a possible solution to this JVM being slow (which AFAIK, is used in Windows versions of Java, maybe in Linux too but I ignore it, is to actually load the JVM ahead of time. I don't know if that would completely solve the slow startup, but it should help.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
    Its only problem was the time it took to start

Leave a comment:

• mrugiero
    replied
    Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
    DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGL) comes to mind. I usually don't even notice it's a Java application.
    JDownloader was pretty responsive, AFAIR. Its only problem was the time it took to start, but after that, it was snappy enough. I am kind of a Java hater (although, contrary to most haters, I acknowledge I am and that it is irrational; I don't make futile attemps to make it look like there are real reasons to discard a language independently of the context), specially when someone calls C++ programmers lazy and mediocre when there is at least as many of them in the Java side, but I can recognize when someone did his homework with regards to coding, even if I don't like his language of choice.

Leave a comment:

• GreatEmerald
    replied
    Originally posted by Temar View Post
    I read this quite often, still I haven't seen a Java game yet which actually runs fast. Just take a look at Minecraft, which is not even an AAA game and already runs dead slow. Maybe it is written very poorly, but the same is true for GUIs. Many people claim, it is possible to write fast and snappy GUIs in Java. Yet I have never seen a single Java application which has a GUI that is as fast and snappy as a C/C++ one.

I'm really not a Java hater, I'm quite indifferent towards Java. So if I'm wrong, please correct me and show some examples of properly done Java applications, because I have never seen one.
    DOSBox Game Launcher (DBGL) comes to mind. I usually don't even notice it's a Java application.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X