No announcement yet.

Realtek rtl8192 wifi adapter problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, after using it for a couple of hours it got stuck at 300mb/s again... Something that I don't understand is happening to change the hardware state into a nonfunctional configuration. If I reboot straight back into linux it exhibits exactly the same problem. If I reboot into windows and let the windows driver load, then reboot back into linux it works fine for a little while until something triggers this nonfunctional state.

The only thing that seems to fix it temporarily is booting into windows and then rebooting back into linux.

I'm stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
      let me guess, you have a nano reciever? just get an atheros-based dongle with seperate antennae. Mine was capable of reaching the router 2 stocks higher in appartment across (yes, legally, we set it up inbefore)
      What antenna do you recommend? I was looking at ralink and realtek nano adapters and this discussion is very disconcerting. I thought realtek and ralink had okay (not great) drivers. I need to know of a good antenna because I need two adapters. One for a desktop and one for a raspberry. :-( Atheros has been usually pretty good but their chipsets are typically not in the nano adapters.

Comment

It's not exactly legal, but you can get some huge, directional antennas of DX for cheap. Ranges of about 1km.

Comment

I think the problem that I'm having lies in this function...

rtl_usb:_rtl_submit_tx_urb()

That's about all I can say though, I am not a programmer and I have no clue what is going on. It's that function that is causing ping times to go way up and slows down the connection to an unusable speed.

The exact error message is

rtl_usb:_rtl_submit_tx_urb():<200-1> Failed to submit urb

Afterwards the network becomes unusably slow.
          Last edited by duby229; 10 December 2013, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Panix View Post
            What antenna do you recommend? I was looking at ralink and realtek nano adapters and this discussion is very disconcerting. I thought realtek and ralink had okay (not great) drivers. I need to know of a good antenna because I need two adapters. One for a desktop and one for a raspberry. :-( Atheros has been usually pretty good but their chipsets are typically not in the nano adapters.
            Yes, but I do not recommend nano adapter. Nano adapters are extremely low range, only for wifi hotspots nearby. Anything else - forget it.
            If you have a built-in Wifi, you have two antennas that run along edges of the screen.
            And in nano adapter, the antenna is just a snake formed wire, 5 mm long. That's about 1 cm wire. The smallest dedicated antenna is at least 4 cm long.

I have exactly rtl8192u adapter from edimax, bought in germany. I had exactly same issues as OP. It didn't work in Debian, until I got Realtek's firmware.
            Then it worked, but then I had to transfer to other apartment and this means re-arranging internet provider agreement, so I was 3 weeks without any communications (I have ISDN over DSL). So, I settled up with neighbor several stocks above to attach my wifi router in LAN-only mode as a hotspot. The router is TL-WR841ND. Its capable of running OpenWRT without issues, but is native firmware is also ass-kicking, it has two large detachable 5 Db antennas, like these.

While this nanostick was capable at detecting network, it often broke connections almost immediately.
            Well, its exactly due to small antenna. Turned out for best connectivity you have to have good long antennas both on router AND reciever.
            I tried to "expand" nano antenna first by soldering wiring from coaxial cable to its end and then attaching it to small dedicated antenna I have. Range improved, but very little. I guess it has something to do with amount of current the device routes to that antenna.

Becauseof that I decided to get Atheros-based TPLink dongle with 3 Db detachable antenna. Sure its not nano, but I seriously don't care. The antenna is detachable on that one two, so that I could easily attach one of the 5db larger antennas from router. And blam, I had nearly perfect signal quality, no need for firmware (out of the box), superb performance in 802.11n. The rtl8192u just gets dust layers on the bookshelf from now.

Comment

Have you loaded the correct firmware for your chip? I've had noname dongle ~year ago and it worked out of the box with in-tree rtl8192u kernel driver flawlessly. Regretfuly, I don't own it right now (I gave it to my friend and he still uses it).

Comment

Working...
              X