Mark Shuttleworth Sends Out Apologies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkor View Post
    Interesting how you claim to know more than a lawyer. The EFF lawyer provided references. You make claims without providing clear examples. After the lawyer response, Canonical backed down quickly. Yet Canonical still somehow was right? Bzzt!!!
    The website fixubuntu.com was using the Ubuntu logo as favicon and using it for the banner of the frontpage . No disclaimer, no hint of criticism, no parody, no nothing. There was no other purpose for using ubuntu trademark logo other than identify and brand the website itself . So the nominative fair use doctrine they are using as excuse clearly does not apply .

Comment

Originally posted by Alejandro Nova View Post
      That means: Mark Shuttleworth is NOT apologizing to the people who he should be directing an apology on the first place: Aaron Seigo, Martin Gr??lin, Lennart Poettering, and every developer who criticizes Canonical on a technical basis.

MS, your behavior sucks. Really.
      He is not apologizing to them because his original statement says it is to people who criticize on a political basis. All of us assumed he referred to almost all of the critics, because there was a single occasion where an action was clearly politically motivated, and it was reverting the patch, from Intel. He never stated the ones criticizing Canonical on a technical basis are like the TEA Party, so it is consistent not to apologize to them. He stated within the apologize that he likes the technical feedback, even when it is in the form of criticism.

Comment

Canonical is a typical corporation. First they launch a probe to see how much they stifle criticism or at least hurt the critics. Then, when the feel the limits, they "apologize".

I don't buy it.

Comment

This isn't an apology, this is damage control

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
            He is not apologizing about Canonicals' instance on defending their trademarks and copyrights, why should he?. Instead, he seems to be apologizing about using the toughest email template for their request .

The fact is , that website fixubuntu.com was indeed abusing from Canonicals trademarks and copyrights, there is no doubt about it. And i do not see how that website could be silenced in any way by that requests. Companies are entitled to defend their copyrights and trademarks from misuses or abuses too.
            Bullshit.

Nominative use -> not an infringement. And also, trademark law doesn't require you to send takedown notices to everyone using your trademark, it just requires you to react in some way to infringments, which this wasn't in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by mrugiero View Post
              And that's my whole point. As I said in my first answer on this topic, I do think it will have great success, and greater in numbers than Ubuntu. But I also think this will not affect negatively Ubuntu (i.e., its user base will not shrink because of SteamOS). I am a bit skeptical that it will imply a huge turn on the world or something like that, though.
              I will not be buying one because I don't have money for it now, but I'd be probably doing the same as you if I had.

NOTE: Sorry for the double post, I sent the other one forgetting I had this in another window.
              SteamOS is likely not going to affect any other Linux distro's popularity. SteamOS has a very niche purpose - it's not a general purpose OS, it doesn't have many of the things that a regular desktop has: file manager, proper windowing system, terminal, text editors, application support... basically, it's just a steam client with a kernel. You can play steam games, maybe watch some videos / listen to music, maybe browse webpages, that's about it.

So no, the only cases where SteamOS would replace any traditional OS as a primary OS would be the case of a very hard-core steam gamer that uses their computer for nothing apart from playing Steam games. I don't think those people are a very large portion of users of any Linux distro, or the population in general...

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                SteamOS is likely not going to affect any other Linux distro's popularity. SteamOS has a very niche purpose - it's not a general purpose OS, it doesn't have many of the things that a regular desktop has: file manager, proper windowing system, terminal, text editors, application support... basically, it's just a steam client with a kernel. You can play steam games, maybe watch some videos / listen to music, maybe browse webpages, that's about it.

So no, the only cases where SteamOS would replace any traditional OS as a primary OS would be the case of a very hard-core steam gamer that uses their computer for nothing apart from playing Steam games. I don't think those people are a very large portion of users of any Linux distro, or the population in general...
                That's my point. Glad to see we agree.

Comment

Originally posted by dee. View Post
                  Bullshit.

Nominative use -> not an infringement. And also, trademark law doesn't require you to send takedown notices to everyone using your trademark, it just requires you to react in some way to infringments, which this wasn't in the first place.
                  I just explained a few post back why the nominative fair use does not apply . And Canonical did not send a takedown notice.

Comment

nerdrage

it's almost impossible for nerds to take a step back and quit being jerks over something less or more meaningful.
                    those guys will sink on their ship rather than change their attitude a little.

it will always go like this:
                    he started it
                    he didn't apologize
                    his apology wasn't honest
                    and if it where honest it was too late

please note that mark shows signs of being an incredible nerd too.

i personally think its time to move on

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                      I just explained a few post back why the nominative fair use does not apply .
                      You're wrong. Nominative use does apply and it covers the use of trademarked logos and symbols as well.

And Canonical did not send a takedown notice.
                      Yes they did. They wanted the logo taken down, they wanted the name "ubuntu" taken down from the website name, and they informed the website of this with a notice.

They sent a notice that demanded taking down things. If you claim that's "not a takedown notice" then I don't know what to tell you...

Comment

Working...
                      X