Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
    I really enjoyed how you managed to dismiss several sources and the come up with an opposite conclusion. What was your point again? Oh and please stop talking about the commit straw man. The rest of us talk about contributors.
    Dear Honton,

why should he not dismiss those sources, when you yet have to show us, how they make "Gnome kill KDE" or "KDE dying"?
    Let?s sum up your facts:

- 2 Enterprise distros STAY with Gnome = no change, but to die is a severe change = argument invalid for your thesis
    - 1 distro (debian) does not switch to KDE = no change = argument invalid for your thesis
    - 1 distro with kde died = and no distro with Gnome ever died? = argument invalid for your thesis
    - 1 distro switched to Gnome = there are also distros switching from Gnome (ubuntu, maybe debian 8); or distros that chose KDE over Gnome (like manjaro, only Gnome-community edition) = argument weak for your thesis
    - 2 distros where KDE (might) lose QA = I found no source for openSUSE changing KDE QA and the "might" for Fedora.next is still a "might" = argument weak for your thesis
    - Qt has CLA = offtopic
    - Oloh developer numbers = kde digest (more accurate) shows: KDE developer numbers dropped from 250 (2008) to 200 (2011) to 160 (2013) = this is your only valid argument, but it is still only a very slow death and the standard deviation with 35 is quite high. Come back again when developer count dropped below 100.

Honton, this is my last reply to you until you bring NEW facts. roll_eyes

cheers, tomme

Comment

• Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
      fun fact, I just did that :-P https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/116636/
      there also should be an "auto" option for users who don?t know what opengl is...

Comment

• Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        there also should be an "auto" option for users who don?t know what opengl is...
        That's what we have defaults for ;-) By default (and default meaning user doesn't touch anything) KWin picks the best fitting settings for the user's system. To ensure that users don't needless play with these settings we plan to split the configuration module into one dedicated to the effects and one dedicated to the advanced settings.

Comment

Dear tomme. Thank you for confirming that KDE is dying. Im proud of you finally accepting the facts.
          I think I mentioned it before: it would be more interesting to investigate why the number was so high in 2008 because that's what looks wrong to me, not the numbers today. Concerning the numbers today I pointed out that both the numbers of ohloh.net and commit-digest are not reliable. ohloh.net is missing repositories, commit-digest is thinking that I'm the author if I push commits from others (which happens rather frequently now in the git days).

Or quite simple: don't trust any statistic you haven't faked yourself. We know that the numbers are wrong, let's not interpret anything into it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
            I think I mentioned it before: it would be more interesting to investigate why the number was so high in 2008 because that's what looks wrong to me, not the numbers today.
            Indeed. KDE commit digests for 2004 are consistently under 200 developers.

Which means that KDE is approaching a new golden era!

Comment

• Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              Indeed. KDE commit digests for 2004 are consistently under 200 developers.

Which means that KDE is approaching a new golden era!
              the earliest I see is from 2006 and that has 200

where can I find the 2004

@martin:
              the numbers relative to each other mean something, if the method by which kde digest counted did not change - did it?

Comment

Just google it:

Comment

@martin:
                  the numbers relative to each other mean something, if the method by which kde digest counted did not change - did it?
                  Yes it most likely changes. There are several changes which could affect it:
                  1. commit-digest uses a new software
                  2. KDE switched from svn to git
                  3. many developers used trunk/playground as well a playground and for other stuff (distro patches)
                  4. people used to get commit rights faster, with git it's easier to just push commits, and as mentioned commit-digest doesn't handle this that well
                  5. svn was one large repository of everything so commit-digest had no problem getting the commits, now with git it's likely that work on new projects is lost
                  6. I don't know which branches are tracked, if it's in the end just the merge of the maintainer which goes into commit-digest commits and authors are lost

Overall I just don't think that we can really trust the numbers of ohloh.net and commit-digest.

Comment

• Heh, this thread is still active?

Honestly, I don't know why anyone is responding to Honton, he/she is clearly trolling. I can't remember the last time I saw a more clear case of fervent irrational fanboyism.

I'll never understand why people are so insecure about the operating systems, desktop environments, graphics cards, etc that OTHER people use.

Its pretty simple; use whatever desktop environment suits your needs.

Comment

I never said anything like that. I'm okay with removing features. Those who are not okay with this will not be treated well by KDE. Features are removed from KDE all the time without listening to the users.
                      Those words are quite funny from someone advocating Gnome. Everyone (except the Gnome fanboys and trolls, of course) knows that they are the masters of the domain of removing features (read: dumbing down) and not listening to users.

Comment

Working...
                      X