Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
    Part of it is how easily Nvidia screws up a system. I'll just ignore the ahole, Vim-whatever. I guess if you google various messages you can get when driver upgrades/kernel upgrades and other versions that change, of how often it can mess up a system. But, the ahole just ignored those. I've had other instances in which something broke and I had to spend hours googling. I think the GUI managers of many distros do a poor job. I know I should have done it manually but it's been a while since I had to spend time on it. Thus far, I've read good things regarding Mint and even Ubuntu's 'update' managers for graphics drivers. I wasn't using KDE on either, though.
    So you actually have admitted with that post that this is a driver problem. Nice work in refuting yourself about you claims on the stability of KDE.

Comment

• Originally posted by edmon View Post
      Same here but with Debian testing!
      On the Kubuntu Forums, we encourage our members to use command-line tools for package management. While some may argue this is opposed to Kubuntu's goals of "Friendly Computing," we (the forum admins, at least) don't believe that shielding users from the command line is a wise thing to do. The GUI tools, while not (always) broken, hide many of the important status messages and dependency resolution clues that the command-line tools provide. It is much easier to diagnose and cure problems when you have more information available.

Comment

• Originally posted by Honton View Post
        Another month, another KDE decline, and another fact to deny for the few

Feb commits: 2551
        Feb contributors: 162
        and the frameworks are still not yet imported to ohloh.net

Comment

• Originally posted by mgraesslin View Post
          The KDE Frameworks 5 repositories are being tracked or what do you mean?

Comment

Don't engage the trolls, Martin, it's just a waste of your valuable time. Focus on making kwin awesome and let the peanut gallery deal with its Hontons.

Comment

• Originally posted by littleowl View Post
              The KDE Frameworks 5 repositories are being tracked or what do you mean?
              they are not yet imported into ohloh.net. So any commit will not show up in ohloh.net - the statistic used to claim that KDE is going the way of the Dodos. I would have assumed that Honton creates them on ohloh.net since I pointed it out last month. But now I think we will have the same game next month with Honton pasting the new (incorrect) stats from ohloh.net, me checking whether the frameworks are imported and replying that they aren't.

Comment

they are not yet imported into ohloh.net. So any commit will not show up in ohloh.net - the statistic used to claim that KDE is going the way of the Dodos. I would have assumed that Honton creates them on ohloh.net since I pointed it out last month. But now I think we will have the same game next month with Honton pasting the new (incorrect) stats from ohloh.net, me checking whether the frameworks are imported and replying that they aren't.
                The funny part is that GNOME is not tracked anymore since more than 3 months, at least OHLOH says it did not update the stats. So nobody can say how good or bad GNOME did the last months - probably it did worse than KDE so we could claim KDE kills GNOME (which I won't as both projects release often with a great list of fixes and improvements)

Comment

Let me help you to understand the facts.

Red Flag: Used to be KDE centric, now dead.
                  openSUSE: Official KDE QA gone.
                  Pardus: Default changed from KDE to Gnome.
                  SUSE Enterprise Linux 12: Gnome will be default.
                  RHEL7: Gnome will be default.
                  Fedora.Next: KDE might not get QA but get GDM for login.
                  Debian: KDE declined.

Just stop. Go find something better to do
                  This is what is better in the BSD community.- there are less number of 12 year old autists trolling on the forums

Comment

• Originally posted by lolnope View Post
                    Just stop. Go find something better to do
                    This is what is better in the BSD community.- there are less number of 12 year old autists trolling on the forums
                    Stop that, now you are insulting 12 year old autists with comparing them to Honton/funkStar/whatever_sockpuppet_accounts_he_uses.

Comment

You mean like all the former KDE developers who left KDE? Anyway if you don't have anything to add but ad hominem attacks there might be a better place for you. Fact is that KDE is running out of options and those who want to sell enterprise level linux decided for Gnome over KDE. That is what you need to discuss. How do you feel about SUSE going Gnome only for the coming SLE 12 products?
                      gnome was already default in RHEL 6 and SLES / SLED 11 products (while kde 4.3 was optional available as an alternative). For enterprise use it is better to not switch what the enterprise customers are used to, so it is likely that SLES 12 will also ship with the old-gnome2-look of gnome3 like RHEL7. So I feel there is nothing wrong here. Both Gnome and KDE are doing great as always. GNOME more on the enterprise level, KDE more on the non-enterprise level. So what options are you talking about?

however - there is nothing official yet on SLES 12 Gnome default - still under NDA, so you should not even talk about it here

Comment

Working...
                      X