Gnome kills KDE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
    KDE is Krap! Aka POS. KDE is bloated garbage and I think it'll go downhill even more. It's the only DE that can't detect smartphones properly. Tested with Krapbuntu and another KDE-centric distro, siduction. I wonder if OpenSUSE would detect it. Probably not. I do hope Gnome kills it off.
    Huh; I just plugged in a Nexus 7 into a Kubuntu 13.10 install, and it works flawlessly from what I've seen (can't say the same for XFCE and/or LXDE).

I'm thinking either your phone has a weird MTP implementation, you have/had an improperly configured and/or outdated KDE install, or there's something I didn't test that's very broken (my N7 was detected, I went into it via KDE's file manager (Dolphin?), opened a picture (it loaded fine), and copied a picture to my desktop, which kept the same filename and loaded fine). Or you're just greatly over-exaggerating, but I don't know.

If you're going to state something is problematic, at least say what the problem is.

Comment

• Originally posted by steveriley View Post
      "Known" by whom? Have you tried it lately? Works very well here.
      good to hear. I heard so many people complaing about it over the years. I tried it once, but that was some years ago. So sorry that my comment sounded so negative.
      Originally posted by steveriley View Post
      Debian Sid is actually pretty stable.
      Stable maybe, but what I meant was: Is it bug-free enough for productive use? Isn?t it derived from debian unstable? So stable / bug-free-enough =! pretty stable - right? I would assume it may be on the same level with opensuse tumbleweed, and yes that is pretty stable too. But not stable ALL the time. Even a "normal" opensuse release is not stable / bug free if it is brand new... same for windows or any other OS.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
        Stable maybe, but what I meant was: Is it bug-free enough for productive use? Isn?t it derived from debian unstable? So stable / bug-free-enough =! pretty stable - right? I would assume it may be on the same level with opensuse tumbleweed, and yes that is pretty stable too. But not stable ALL the time. Even a "normal" opensuse release is not stable / bug free if it is brand new... same for windows or any other OS.
        The fun thing is: Ubuntu is also derived from Debian Unstable (except the LTS versions), so you can say exactly the same about Ubuntu.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
          Isn?t it derived from debian unstable?
          No. Debian unstable and sid are always the same thing. Debian testing = <codename of next release> and stable = <codename of current release>

Comment

• Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
            Ubuntu is also derived from Debian Unstable (except the LTS versions)
            No.

Just as the name implies, the only difference between LTS and non-LTS releases of Ubuntu is that for LTS Canonical provides bug fixes, security updates and commercial support for longer term than for non-LTS versions, otherwise both are derived from Debian Unstable in exactly the same way. In other words, difference between two is only in release cadence and support duration, not in the method of production.

Comment

• In another stunning reversal, it looks like KDE has no officially killed Gnome, with Gnome closing out the year with 46k open bugs (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTU2NTY). Looks like Gnome is dead, people, move along, nothing to see here anymore.

Comment

• And how many open bugs does KDE have? Your statement is just an opinion and you know what that means. Everyone has one.

How about the concept or accusation that KDE is called 'bloatware' and has been such since version 4? Or it's being called that even more often?

For all the flaws or 'negatives' in Gnome or any other DE, others have theirs, too, including KDE. I still suggest that KDE is more about visuals and appearance than functionality.

Comment

• Let's wait until March and we are going to see 300 MB of RAM slashed from the KDE memory consumption figures.

About this thread, I installed GNOME to compare and saw some interesting things:

- GNOME gives me no mail notification, Windows 8 notifies me from my main inbox, and KDE notifies me from all my inboxes, all the time.
                  - If I enable the semantic stuff (Tracker in GNOME, Nepomuk in KDE), enable Empathy and Zeitgeist, I can reach easily 1 GB of RAM with GNOME, while doing a LOT less than KDE.
                  - The only searcher as capable as KDE's is the searcher built into Windows 8.1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Panix View Post
                    And how many open bugs does KDE have?
                    42,178, including wishlist items and tasks, vs 47,514 using the same criteria for Gnome.

25,896 if you exclude wishlists and tasks, while gnome has 34,410 using the same criteria.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      42,178, including wishlist items and tasks, vs 47,514 using the same criteria for Gnome.

25,896 if you exclude wishlists and tasks, while gnome has 34,410 using the same criteria.
                      Doesn't really say much about the quality of either, and even if it did, size of user base (potential bug reporters) for both projects should probably be taken into account to get meaningful data.

Comment

Working...
                      X